Lupo GTI - Buying Advice

eddd

Evening All,

Just after some general advice on buying a Lupo GTI.

We have seen 3 used examples so far, 1 was externally great but mechanically poor, 2 have been bashed and dented but mechanically sound with FSH.

i) We are looking to spend around £5000, is this enough to get one in good mechanical and good exterior/interior condition?

ii) We want an original unmodified example, how often do these come along in good condition?

iii) We have avoided looking at lowered examples, does lowering negatively effect the handling of the cars or is it desirable?

iv) Should we avoid high mileage cars, or is high mileage with a FSH okay?

Thank you for the help,

Edd

Depends on what has been used to lower it. A decent set of springs, spring\shocks or coilovers will tighten things up and improve the handling somewhat.

I have KW V1 coilovers set at a reasonable height and I love the handling. I've actually just bought a new set to be fitted.

People who have had mileage examples will stick up for them, however, if you are looking at spending good money, then lower may be more desirable.

Even the youngest cars are coming up for their 10th birthday, so most will have some body marks! For a budget of £5k you should be able to get a good example, but you may have to wait and travel for the right car.

R

Are you the edd that emailed me about mine?

I have since decided to keep mine!! Great cars

I agree with silver in standard form they are very soft and boat like i would buy one with decent coilovers like KW

I really don't recommend one with an aftermarket air filter, no matter how fancy sounding the name is... especially if it's high mileage.

The benefits really aren't that great yet there's plenty of reasons to avoid them.

Edited by Skezza

Thanks for the help guys.

We actually went to see this one on Saturday.

It sounded great on the phone and the guy said it was mint condition inside and out (no dents/scratches).

Unfortunately when we got there and had a look that wasn't the case. There was a big scrap on the bumper on the nearside, dents on the back panels, electric window not working and exhaust looked very wonky. A real shame. I know we can't expect perfect, and I offered a slightly lower price so we could fix damage, but no joy.

Do you think we are being too picky?

Another question;

Do all the GTI models come with the headlight washes? Even the 5 speed?

I have been told by an owner of a 5 speed that his did not have headlight washers.

Edited by eddd

Shame.

Yes to the headlight washers as they are a legal requirement for Xenon headlamps I know a couple of people who have "deleted" them when smoothing the bumpers, but they all came from the factory with them.

Thanks for the repsonse Silver, are you talking about the KW K&N panel filters?

We have had a look at rocco_man's, it was very nice, the exterior was mint. However, it did not have latest MOT and has not been serviced for a while.

I have also been in contact with a guy selling a lowered example, he has fitted AP coilovers: http://www.apcoilovers.com/ap_coilover_details.php?id=405 how do you rate these?

He said: "They completely replace the original suspension struts and springs (which I have kept) and they provide a sportier firmer ride and are height adjustable by setting the spring higher or lower manually".
My concern is the damper cannot be adjusted, so could the ride be too firm?

Would rocco_man not MOT it for you? I would MOT any car I was selling for a serious party. Also he states that it's not done much mileage in the last 2 years, so get all the fluids flushed and changed and it should be fine.

As for the APs; I think they are a little less forgiving than the KW V1s, but if he is giving you the original suspension in the sale, then you have nothing to lose. Couple of hours to swap them back if you don't like them and you'll be able to sell the APs on.

Due to the age of these cars most will have some form of body wear/dints/scratches. You'd be better finding one your happy with that has minor issues that wont cost much to fix.

Stay away from coilovers as it sounds like you're looking for a standard example. Springs should be fine, but again bear in mind due to age the dampers could be a bit saggy.

They're old-ish cars but very desirable. More so than Golfs/polos of equivalent age, so be prepared to wait for the right one and to travel.

Due to the age of these cars most will have some form of body wear/dints/scratches. You'd be better finding one your happy with that has minor issues that wont cost much to fix.

Stay away from coilovers as it sounds like you're looking for a standard example. Springs should be fine, but again bear in mind due to age the dampers could be a bit saggy.

They're old-ish cars but very desirable. More so than Golfs/polos of equivalent age, so be prepared to wait for the right one and to travel.

Thanks for the advice, that's what I was thinking. It may take a few weeks/months to find what we are after.

We have seen 3 so far and everytime we see one it makes us want one even more. Really great little cars :D

Not 100% sure, but; Pedal covers just clip on\off as far as I am aware.

I would wonder why someone has taken them off though. Most likely they have upgraded theirs to an Audi TT pedal covers or the like and sold the original ones on.

Bit more than your budget, but low miles and owners.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/lupo/volkswagen-lupo-gti-125bhp----------------2005/2131682

Might be the light but the back end looks to be a different colour to the rest of the car?

Bit more than your budget, but low miles and owners.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/lupo/volkswagen-lupo-gti-125bhp----------------2005/2131682

Might be the light but the back end looks to be a different colour to the rest of the car?

That's horrific.

I've got nothing against Arosa clear lights, but that looks utter batshit.

As you said, it's also had nothing more than a mare at the backend. I can't tell if it's been involved in a rear-ender, but why does the boot not line up with the bumper. I've had this argument dozens of times on here, when VW released a nice little Lupo into the world, the boot and bumper line up perfectly. If they don't something has happened. Either the bumper has been changed or the rear end has been shunted. That doesn't line up correctly whatsoever.