A couple of sport running issues

Engine code AUB

• I've just serviced the engine - new spark plugs, fuel, air, oil and cabin filters, topped off with shell helix 5W40 oil, i've also flushed the fuel system with red line fuel system cleaner and have been running it with premium JET fuel and Shell V-Power
  • I have removed and cleaned the EGR valve
  • Replaced coil pack
  • Replaced HT leads
  • Replaced throttle body
  • Throttle body aligned via VCDS
  • New battery
  • NO FAULT CODES

Problems:

• The car doesn't start brilliant - turns over quite a few times before it fires up
  • There seems to be a flat spot when accelerating around 2k rpm sometimes, where it feels like all engine power just goes then comes back a moment later
  • Lingering when the revs are coming down
  • Lag when revving - on my 1.4 non sport you can repeatedly bash the throttle and the revs will correspond. On the sport, if you bash the throttle the revs just mush around with no definition to them
  • The car is always noticeably smokey out of the exhaust regardless of the weather or how long the car has been running
  • The car really struggles past 90mph, especially in 5th gear and if i'm giving it some, however it will happily cruise up to and past that speed
  • It seems as if when you have the accelerator pedal fully depressed and then ease it back a bit the car picks up a little

I know this engine is renowned for having throttle lag issued but it just seems that this is an abnormal amount of lag

If anyone has had any of these problems and has managed to rectify them or just has any suggestions ill have a look into them as i'd like to get this car running 100% or near enough

I've put a hell of a lot of effort (and money) into this car getting it roadworthy and running and ill be damned if i can't get it at least 90%

I thought sounds like your tb might be a dud but that's been changed.

A shoot in the dark but is there anyway to test the accelerator pedal?

My sport was always smokey but it was white smoke but not just after you switched it all the time. You notice it more due to the centre exhaust.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you manage to sort this problem? Iv just bought a lupo, same spec and I'm experiencing similar problems, again ht leads, throttle body, coil pack all Bren replaced but still has problems. Mine also refuses to rev over 4300rpm....