Lupo water leak - Speakers.

GTI Roberto

Just a quick post....

I was having lots of trouble with water getting in my passenger footwell for ages until I realised the problem...

This is a post for everyone else to consider when they are searching for a water leak problem!

Basicaly, When the door speakers were mounted to the cars from new, they used rivets and the back of the mooting plates were SEALED to the inside of the door. This prevents the water that is designed to get into the door, coming in the car and simply drains out the holes in the bottom of the door.

So when you get your lovely Lupo and someone (the previous owner to mine) has decided to put some s**t aftermarket c**py speakers in instead, make sure you check they're nicely fitted and sealed in some form... Its also not good to use MDF for adaptor plates, as they love water and then your car will be damp... use plastic. Or just get some of the original speakers and fit them, which is what I intend to do!

The other benefit of the originals is they had some protection on the back to stop the rear connections going rusty and corroded.

Makes me sad that the previous owner also used wood screws to fit his speakers :( whats wrong with people like that!

Hope this helps.

Just a quick post....

I was having lots of trouble with water getting in my passenger footwell for ages until I realised the problem...

This is a post for everyone else to consider when they are searching for a water leak problem!

Basicaly, When the door speakers were mounted to the cars from new, they used rivets and the back of the mooting plates were SEALED to the inside of the door. This prevents the water that is designed to get into the door, coming in the car and simply drains out the holes in the bottom of the door.

So when you get your lovely Lupo and someone (the previous owner to mine) has decided to put some s**t aftermarket c**py speakers in instead, make sure you check they're nicely fitted and sealed in some form... Its also not good to use MDF for adaptor plates, as they love water and then your car will be damp... use plastic. Or just get some of the original speakers and fit them, which is what I intend to do!

The other benefit of the originals is they had some protection on the back to stop the rear connections going rusty and corroded.

Makes me sad that the previous owner also used wood screws to fit his speakers :( whats wrong with people like that!

Hope this helps.

why does none of this surprise me...?

Probably because its happened to you as well......

Or more to the point, I've come across numerous cars with badly fitted aftermarket speakers (in one case simply wired together using electrical tape). If you're going to do a job, do it right. It seems aftermarket speakers is the easiest job for a hobbyist to do badly.

Anyway, it's all useful stuff. Makes me wonder if a few other Loop's are showing the same problems as yours.

Edited by Skezza

I've just fixed mine this week too! I think the drivers side speaker had been removed to replace the window regulator, but whoever refitted it left a big gap at the bottom allowing water to pour in <_<

My spoiler was letting water in too (no doubt caused by the same garage). Iv'e fixed that so hopefully my GTI should be watertight again.

Good to here that its not just my lupo that will be ready for the seas! Just in the process of replacing the classic, rear wiper washer problem leaking all the horrible rusty water into the boot lock...Hoping VW still sell the repair kits otherwise its going to be a DIY job!

Ive already done the spoiler one! managed to save it from producing any more air bubbles, lucky theres only some minor ones! Have any of you ever come across any rust on the ali doors before? This is my next task along with trying to replace the badges in the wheel centres!

the wiper leak is easy fixed with a piece of silcon vac hose, did mine with left over bits from my old evo 6, interested to know how to solve the speaker leak as mine had the standard speakers removed and the door cards cut up too :(

Edited by arosaSDI

Good to here that its not just my lupo that will be ready for the seas! Just in the process of replacing the classic, rear wiper washer problem leaking all the horrible rusty water into the boot lock...Hoping VW still sell the repair kits otherwise its going to be a DIY job!

Ive already done the spoiler one! managed to save it from producing any more air bubbles, lucky theres only some minor ones! Have any of you ever come across any rust on the ali doors before? This is my next task along with trying to replace the badges in the wheel centres!

Oh yes, I've still got that to fix too. The plastic elbow where the pipe connects has split on mine, but at least I now know where the water was going. The micro switch on the boot catch doesn't work and all the connections are corroded...

Mine has some bubbling under the paint on the inside on the door, but the outsides are fine fortunately.

arosaSDI: I just drilled out the old rivets and put some new suitably sized ones in, ensuring the speaker frame was flush against the door.

the wiper leak is easy fixed with a piece of silcon vac hose, did mine with left over bits from my old evo 6, interested to know how to solve the speaker leak as mine had the standard speakers removed and the door cards cut up too :(

This is how I did it. There's like a right angled thing on the original tube that doesn't seem to last and that's where the problems arise.

I found a piece of hose that was too small for the nozzle, heated it up using some boiling water and then it went on okay. Gave it 10 minutes to cool down, worked ever since.

Ah this is interesting stuff. Had mine apart today... found that the brass tube (where the plastic elbow is part of) has just corroded and rusted away! blocking the jet etc.. causing the water to just come out down the side of the tube and back into the boot! Will try to find something suitable to make a good solid replacement. shouldn't have used the brass in the first place!

Also nice to see others aren't just 'De Wipering' their cars!

Arosa SDI: I feel your pain... going to track down some originals, although VW want 20 quid each for news which really isn't that bad! I will try and take some pictures of how butcherd up the inside of my door is... How someone can bodge like that I don't know.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to revive this thread with a question - was the Lupo GTi doors designed to take water into the door?? Seems really odd to design it that way. The first time I spotted the wet interior doors I presumed there was an issue and was thinking of ways of sealing the entire inner door! I have aftermarket speakers and have noticed the rears of both are quite wet, so will have to securely waterproof the electrical connections!

Cooper, most doors are designed for water to pass through, hence they're waxed to prevent rust. However, aftermarket speakers don't help if installed incorrectly.