Lupo misfiring... I think.

Hi guys and girls, encountered a bit of a problem with my 51 plate 1.4 16v lupo yesterday, hope you can help!

I was driving through town yesterday and stopped at traffic lights on a hill, as i pulled off my car started juddering a lot. I pulled over to check under the bonnet (not that i know what I'm doing :P) and noticed there was a hose that had popped off. Im not very savvy with this kind of stuff but its at the back of the engine bay on the left, maybe connected to the air filter? Anyway, i reconnected the hose and it made no difference.

I drove my car around today just to get a better idea at the problem; it doesn't seem to judder when I'm travelling at a constant speed but as soon as i put my foot down, its terrible. Whilst doing this my engine check light came on, the one with the lightning bolt through it, and when i finally parked up it started to judder in idle as well, which it didnt do before.

Ive spoken to some old-timers at work (I'm an engineer) they think its either the; spark plugs, HT lead, coil pack, or dirty fuel.

Can anyone shed some on this for me, please? Is it something minor?

Many thanks! Joe :)

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a minor fault and easy fix. I too got judders and stutters and a sense of power loss on acceleration - particularly in the lower gears. Then I got the engine warning light come on. Connecting it to VAG showed a misfire. Swapped the coil pack to no avail. Turned out to be degraded HT leads : )

Dirty Fuel - No, that's what we have fuel filters for

HT Leads - Take them off and visibly inspect the connections, are they dirty?

Coilpack - IF you do replace it get a genuine part, pattern part coilpacks are known to cause problems down the line

When was the last time the plugs were changed? Can you get a picture of what hose came off?

It does sound like it's missing but the engine management light is something to investigate, get it plugged into vagcom and then you can see what the code is for!

Most likely HT leads, sparks if not coil.

But I've be more concerned at the pipe that had come loose, maybe it's split underneath, causing the same issues - need pics really, bit confused

Could be cheaper to investimigate that issue first

Edited by danoid

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful!

Ill upload some pictures tomorrow when i have a chance to look under the bonnet. Gonna check over everything you've all suggested and then just see from there. From what every one has said, it seems to be the spark plugs. So i'll look into that. Anyway to tell if they are they are at fault?

Thanks all :)

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful! Ill upload some pictures tomorrow when i have a chance to look under the bonnet. Gonna check over everything you've all suggested and then just see from there. From what every one has said, it seems to be the spark plugs. So i'll look into that. Anyway to tell if they are they are at fault? Thanks all :)

When were they last changed? They don't forever and are a serviceable part and quite cheap to replace.

If they're covered in **** change them, you might get away with sanding the points on them to clean any crap off but be careful knock to change the gap on the plugs!

When were they last changed? They don't forever and are a serviceable part and quite cheap to replace.

If they're covered in **** change them, you might get away with sanding the points on them to clean any crap off but be careful knock to change the gap on the plugs!

Checked my cars history earlier and the guy who had it before me barely drove it at all! They were put in about 2 years ago but the'yve only done like 5000 miles!

Noticed while driving that it only juddered when i was in low revs, so had a mate drive my car yesterday as he is an experienced mechanic. He's told me that it might be my flywheel thats ****ed, as well as my clutch and brakes; both of which i assumed anyway but that's a different story!

So, just looks like i have a hefty bill coming up :(

• 1 month later...