Will's Lupo GTI - Progress

fuzz42

Managed to catch a break in the weather the last few weekends and I've finally managed to start tinkering with the Lupo and give her some much needed love.

I've touched up some scuffs here and there and also repainted parts of the rear bumper where the original paint had just flaked off.. Was quoted £220 by a local sprayer who comes to your house and does it but ended up opting for a £5 pot of touch up paint and did it myself. Happy with the outcome, still needs a good wash and a good coating of wax but I'll get there when this rain stops..

GTI badges have been brought back to life, got a friend to cut me up some red vinyl as the originals had faded to white, they look great now - such a difference. And way better than paying £50+ for a new set.

(If any one needs some new red 'I' vinyls let me know)

And to finish up the front end I ordered some new tow eye covers as mine were absent when I got the car, sprayed them up in a mattish finish to match a black grill trim that I'm trying out. Not sure about it yet, but I don't think I would want it red. I just like the extra contour..

B0552376-D07B-44E1-AA87-A20B40E02118.jpg

F4FCE1A9-C406-43C7-8574-68DD68B2DC5C.jpg

B30C45E6-B20A-49B1-8409-D4CD2A5C5DBE.jpg

Nice photos Will.

Looks a little like mine. I also have a faded i on the front badge and missing the tow cover !

I was thinking of getting a replacement cover and a can of spray paint to match the black of my GTI. I see you did yours in matt Do you think it would look OK if I sprayed with the normal "gloss" black from VW ?

Also, if you do have a spare red "i" that would be great :thumbsup:

I was contemplating buying a new badge but there are other bits I need to spend my money on first.

Yeah as long as you get some L041 colour spray and some lacquer you can't go wrong really. Just make sure you try to spray them well away from any dust. You'll be surprised how much dust will end up on the covers if you don't do it in the right environment.

In case you need part numbers:

W6E0 853 666 FG RU

(tow eye cover o/s)

W6E0 853 665 FG RU

(tow eye cover n/s)

I can get hold of a red 'i' for you, just PM me your address and I'll get on it..

Edited by fuzz42
  • Like 1

Thanks for the part numbers and spraying advice. I will wait until the weather gets better and then give it a go :shifty:

New toy.

Jetex panel filter arrived this afternoon. Hoping to fit this tomorrow - eager to see if I notice any difference in performance.

Wanting to keep the Lupo as standard as possible so wasn't looking for any induction kits.. Looked at K&N, BMC and ITG filters, lot of research done (tons of Lupo research actually - cracking info on this forum, it really is all there) but on impulse (and a bit of faith) went for a Jetex filter. I think it might have been the blue that sold me...

Either way I'm Not really after an increase in horsepower, just an effort to keep the engine healthy as it's seen many motorway miles and now I'm mainly doing short trips which in reality are never huge long drives on a 9 by 5 mile island. Hopefully by replacing small bits here and there (within reason) I can hope to keep her going as long as I can. Next steps are plugs, oil and then brakes.. Maybe a new radiator as mine looks 12 years old - yummy

Finally I've got a chance of not having a car rust to pieces due to sea salt so I'm prepared to make an effort!

02988F7E-7F94-4B84-96E3-E6250D52F68C.jpg

Edited by fuzz42

• 1 year later...