Clutch problems...

Hello all, new to the forums as I have just bought a lupo.

After going on a test drive which was fine I took the lupo home, on the drive back i started to struggle finding the gears along with some grinding. At home I had a little look but not sure what im looking for? The gears will change but I have to put the clutch all the in with extra force for it to change smoothly. I have spoke to the dealer and they have agreed to take it back and have a look tomorrow. I did some research and apparently this is a common problem with lupo's? Has anyone got any guidance/experience that could point me in the right direction? Thanks

Could be clutch, mine became very hard and fitted a new one and job done (well my uncle did for £75, otherwise few hundred)

Or it could be the pedal box, which is a few hundred I think and much more common.

You could ring up your local VW and kindly ask if they can look at your pedal box for free to check it out. I did and they said mine was slightly bent but nothing major. I did take the covering off below the steering wheel (few torx screws) to make it easier.

they just look up with a torch and tell you if its fubar, they might even put in a report and you take it back to the garage to fix :)

As mentioned it could be a bad clutch or a pedal box on the way out.

It could also be the gear linkage or syncro in the box, Lupos aren't known for a strong gearbox, get the garage to take a look and don't take it back until it's fixed. Pedal box is cheap but the labour on the job can put it into the hundreds.