Re-installing airbag slip ring

Took my steering wheel off to centre it. The ribbon cable came out of the slip ring. Manage to get it back in OK.

The big mistake I made was not removing the lower cowling off the steering column first off, and disconnecting the airbag cable there. Had I done that first, the slip ring would have come off in one piece with the wheel without unravelling. Disconnect the car battery the whole time too...

The slip ring has 5 tuns of lock, and the rack has just under 3.75... So full left hand down, back out the minimum slack and fit. Not much choice.

On the bottom side of the slip ring, nothing attaches it attach to the column. It seems like the connector fits in a notch on the lower steering column cowling. The top screws to the wheel (3 small torx screws), but the bottom seems to be just held in by the connector coming out the bottom, held in place only by the cowling which seems wrong. Is that it? Have I missed something putting it back?

Edited by John90

I think he means to centre the wheel on the spring. I did this on a lupo once without realising there was a procedure to set up the clockspring and tore it off the wheel!. just as well I had a spare. live and learn!! geoff

must be a hell of a lot of steering wheels kicking around without clocksprings then!!