Help - Lupo 1.7 SDi Keeps Getting Stuck at 1000rpm!

dyodark

Hi all,

I've got a very curious problem with my little Lupo, 2000 reg and engine code AKU :blink:

The issue started about three months ago. The car was running fine until one day I was driving and it suddenly got 'stuck' at 1000rpm and wouldn't react to my gas pedal. The only thing that kept it moving was to change gear and connect / disconnect the clutch. I turned the engine off - then on - and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

The problem kept reappearing so I took it to my local garage. They changed the throttle position sensor and the problem seemed to be solved.

Fast forward three months and the defect is back in full swing. I took it to the garage again - they claim to have cleaned out some things and tested whether there was a surge but they couldn't diagnose a fault. Guess what - the problem reappeared when I was driving the car home from the garage!

It's getting worse and worse, too - it takes it about 6 miles or about 10 - 20 minutes when starting from cold before the problem appears, and turning the engine on and off again doesn't help anymore. I loose acceleration and that's it. A friend of of mine helped me and we changed the coolant temperature sensor and crankshaft sensor. The break switch and throttle position sensor were changed earlier before the problem reappeared.

The garage suggests that a new ECU might be the solution but I'm a little cautious of dropping anywhere up to £1200 on the change plus recoding my immobiliser which might not solve the issue at hand.

I have searched the internet and this forum (long time lurker, btw.!) but I haven't seen anything exactly like this either.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Issue with the flyby wire throttle pedal? Had it a scanned for codes?

James827, thank you for your input. I only had it scanned today. The errors are as follows:

18047 - Accelerator Position Sensor 1/2 (G79/G185): Implausible Signal

P1639 -35-10 --- Intermittent

01282 - Intake Manifold Flap change-over Valve (N239)

31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

I had the first error logged in the past (and the car was behaving in the same way) but since the guys in my local garage claimed that they replaced the sensor I didn't expect this to happen any time soon.

If anybody could point me into the right direction it would be very appreciated.

I'd have a good look round the wiring , sounds like a damaged wire or crappy connection,

You can have Vagcom going as you drive , it might flag up something,

As for the ecu , plenty of secondhand ones about and not over expensive to get them checked ,repaired and recoded

Has anybody checked for fuelling issues? No blocked filters ? Damaged or squashed fuel lines ?

Edited by Bigplum

I'd have a good look round the wiring , sounds like a damaged wire or crappy connection,

You can have Vagcom going as you drive , it might flag up something,

As for the ecu , plenty of secondhand ones about and not over expensive to get them checked ,repaired and recoded

Has anybody checked for fuelling issues? No blocked filters ? Damaged or squashed fuel lines ?

Thank you for your input!

The wiring was checked in the garage about two - three weeks ago when I started experiencing this problem again. They didn't find anything wrong with it. I was told that the connectors were cleaned just in case, too. The guys in the garage came up with an idea of replacing ECU because there isn't any obvious problem with cables and pipes, plus they said that Accelerator Position Sensor was replaced as well. This led them to the conclusion that it must be the ECU.

After the Vagcom check I had the error codes cleared and next scan is due on Monday. I'll see whether both of them re-appear again. I'll also drive with Vagcom connected as per your suggestion and will post any additional information.

​It looks that this issue is, somehow, temperature related as I can predict where exactly this problem will kick in. The discrepancy is not greater than 200 yds, so if it is surge or other cable related problem I have to say that it's very accurate :surprised:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just bought a 2000 model and this is happening to me at the moment, it drove fine for the past day then took it onto the motorway to stretch its legs and ever since its done exactly this! I take it your Engine Management light is flashing at you? I'm going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say about it. Will try and get OBD scan and let you know anything I find out.

Is it still affecting you? Just noticed this was about a month old now.

Cheers,

Adam :thumbsup: