Beeping when the car reaches 20mph

My Arosa beeps, but its my oil pressure sensor.. Which flashes the symbol.

It beeps 3 times though at roughly 1500 revs...

Try keeping your revs below that, see how long it takes to beep...?

Sorry I cant be of much help!

Also, keep an eye on your oil level etc. Just incase.

Sarah

Could be a few things, not sure if any lupos do but I know some 6n2 polos love to beep if the handbrake is still on when you're moving.

Or oil pressure but I remember that as being more a buzz than a beep? And is usually accompanied by a warning light. Check all fluids, oil, brake fluid, coolant etc and if you can't find anything get a vid up

what seatbelt light? didn't know they had one. working correctly your oil light should come on briefly when you turn your ignition on and then go off. obviously when your engine is off you have no oil pressure so the light is on, when the engine starts your oil pressure builds up and the light goes out. what happens if you touch the wire going to your switch to a clean bit on the engine. when touching does the oil light come on? if so then you know your wiring is ok. then you may assume that the switch is faulty, buy a genuine switch, the cheap switches are no good, they're only £13 from vag. geoff

what seatbelt light? didn't know they had one. working correctly your oil light should come on briefly when you turn your ignition on and then go off. obviously when your engine is off you have no oil pressure so the light is on, when the engine starts your oil pressure builds up and the light goes out. what happens if you touch the wire going to your switch to a clean bit on the engine. when touching does the oil light come on? if so then you know your wiring is ok. then you may assume that the switch is faulty, buy a genuine switch, the cheap switches are no good, they're only £13 from vag. geoff

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

Guessing, it completes a circuit, but would that cause it to light up, if it's earthed?

Thinking about it, is there two pins on the oil pressure switch cable? You could arc it using a thin piece of wire, I did that on my float sensor in the coolant bottle on my old one to test the switch, but then that resulted in the light going out, not lighting up. :paperbag:

Edited by Skezza

no, it only has one pin and you're right all the switch, when working, does is earth out when the oil pressure is below say 0.5 bar. as the oil pressure increases it causes the switch to open thereby turning off the light. see, not only a mechanic, but a qualified electronic engineer too. the switch is only really there to tell you when your engine is about to die. geoff

as far as things going on or off when the switch is earthed, it depend on what is connected to the other side of it ie a positive supply. the positive supply goes from the battery-wire-indicator-wire-switch, which is connected to the engine block which is ground. circuit completed. some switches work the other way but this is the easiest as it needs less wiring, simples. geoff

Sounds to me like the seller fiddled with the light in the dash to stop it coming on, not realising that the loose wire was the cause of the light problem. Once the wire is in the computer now knows that the oil is OK, so the beep has gone.

Hopefully you only have the light problem left to fix.

Going to try swapping the oil sensor tomorrow with it, if we took the clocks out to check them what does it loose? Just the time?, they don't appear to have been tampered with. The beeping is still present was only a temporary fix chocolate blocking the cable back together again, it solved it for the first drive, then if you disconnect it then reconnect it the beeping stays away for the first drive then comes back, so we'll fill you all in tomorrow see how it goes.

Edited by mattarosa

there is a circular plug/socket assembly on the right hand side of the block, uncouple this ,spray it with wd40. assemble and disassemble it a couple of time to clean the connections, your problem may be there. make sure you click it right into position as it will work loose. geoff

Yeah I think we found it Geoff, but does this answer why the light doesn't come on? it explains the beeping, and I think/hope that the light doesn't come on because the cable needs a resistance before the light will come, on, so im going to swap it with the one from my arosa tomorrow and clean it out when mines in and see if that works.

it's not a case of needing a resistance . it's simply a pressure operated switch which is closed when there's no oil pressure. when the oil pressure gets to say 0.5 bar, it opens the switch, that is how it works. it's known in the trade as an idiot light for obvious reasons! geoff

trouble is, that beeper is like vw's own version of morse code! they use it to denote all sorts of problems, but don't tell you what it does. vagcom is the way people, geoff

Hmm, were you going down hill by any chance?

On my girlfriends lupo, I'm driving on the motorway no problems, then come off and go down a hill, go over a few bumps, then BEEP BEEP BEEP, flashing logo.

I thought I replaced the sensor with a cheap one, but i'm pretty sure it was from VW now.

So if I disconnect the cable going to it (think it's a blue wire) what do I do to test the wire in complete numpty terms?

thanks

there are some connector blocks in the foot well, get a length of scrap cable and a continuity tester, connect one end of the cable by pushing it into the block, its a red one, and then touch it with your tester, hold it and touch the end of the sensor with the other cable from your tester.