Vw lock barrel issues - what repair kit to buy?

Good Evening All, just signed up as really need your help. I have a 99 lupo 1.0 L poverty spec with no central locking and both lock barrels have gone.

I researched massively and have removed the locks followed the guides to rebuilding after buying the kits below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-DOOR-LOCK-REPAIR-KIT-FRONT-LEFT-/220678826104?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3ALupo&hash=item33617ba878

However this kit is crap! The cur clip that fits on the top will lot slide in for love nor money!

Ideally would like to use genuine vw parts but my friend at TPS says they only do a kit for a polo, and reckons this won't work!

So really want to know what kits have you guys used (eBay, vw etc)

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Cheers Matt

You cannot buy a barrel repair kit from VW for a Lupo, only a new complete barrel. They are a similar design to mk4 Golfs and 3B Passats.....

Have not done this recently. But in the past I scrapped one lock, and made the other good from the tumbler parts. Then a central locking kit, or open the passenger door from the inside. I have also used another good lock as a donor, and fitted my tumblers into that one, filed down/chucked tumblers (reduced security I know).

In the old days, there were only a few tumblers, and 5 or so different shapes, so scrapping 2 or 3 locks would give you enough parts to build one perfect lock. A VW lock with no key must only be worth a quid to a friendly scrappie. With a stubborn scrappie, one trick is to turn up with a washing machine in a wheel barrow, and offer to swap it for a few VW locks without keys... Usually the neighbour gives you a beer for getting rid of their old machine too.

More recently, when doing a rolling restoration on a classic car, I have built a lock like this to fit an original key, so all numbers match. Great feeling to get the original key, all worn looking, and open a nice new lock with it.

Edited by John90

pretty sure the lock barrels themselves are the same in different models mk4 golf for example, but the difference is in the spade fitting which goes into the locking module inside the door. these can be different in length, but it is possible to swap them about. geoff