Scangauge Owners get in this thread

Dblock

Has a ScanGauge II for 4 years now, so I can speak with some experience and hopefully answer a few questions.

How does it calculate the mpg? Have you checked it by working it out?

As far as I know it used the mass of fuel the ECU thinks it is injecting, and the distance travelled, to calculate mpg. I have found it to be within +/-0.5mpg once all the settings are configured properly (gave up working out the mpg as I was happy with it's accuracy).

I'd also like to know how Scangauge deals with different wheels. Most of us have different sized wheels/tyres to stock and if Scanguage can't compensate for the difference, then surely it'll read way too high or way too low?

There is a correction factor available for this. In my experience, on standard wheels and tyres with no adjustment it reads either the same on 1mph less than an iphone GPS app.

On mine I have instantaneous mpg, current trip mpg, coolant temp and intake air temp. The boost pressure doesn't really tell you anything useful. Intake air temp is handy, as if it gets too high (over 60 deg C or so) the ECU starts to cut the fuelling back. So say you were giving your remapped TDi the beans on a hot day, then you'd know when it was time to start backing off!

In regards to the coolant temp, this is the one I use the most. I tend not to turn the heater up until it's over 50 degC for max mpg. But once it's up to temp (89C) I have never had it drop off so long as I wasn't stuck in traffic. Dblock you must have your heater on full all the time! I've never felt the need to block my grill.

On mine I have the fuel cutoff set to 24. What has anyone else got theirs set to, and on what engine?

• Like 1

My heater is always set to max hot and I don't turn the fan on till 50c degrees too. Usually have it on 2 or 4.

Got coolant up to 91c using pulse and glide on full throttle. I don't think that's too high is it?

Jon what are you intake temps like usually?

Cutoff is set to 24 too.

Keeping the dial on fully cold will help the engine to warm up faster, regardless of whether the fan is on or not. I rarely have the dial past half way on mine - tent to be pretty economical with the heating haha. Just put on a coat and gloves!

Typically the intake is in the 30's once up to temp, perhaps down into the 20's at this time of year driving off boost. It's very much boost dependant.

The thermostat opens at 89C. 91 is fine. Highest I've ever seen mine get was 96C.

I've never tried this pulse and glide technique, but as has been said, the engine seems to be more efficient at higher loads (the LOD reading is good for this). 5th seems to be slightly more economical than 4th at 31mph as the load is higher, but I always use 4th because the engine feels like it's labouring in 5th.

Keeping the dial on fully cold will help the engine to warm up faster, regardless of whether the fan is on or not. I rarely have the dial past half way on mine - tent to be pretty economical with the heating haha. Just put on a coat and gloves!

Typically the intake is in the 30's once up to temp, perhaps down into the 20's at this time of year driving off boost. It's very much boost dependant.

The thermostat opens at 89C. 91 is fine. Highest I've ever seen mine get was 96C.

I've never tried this pulse and glide technique, but as has been said, the engine seems to be more efficient at higher loads (the LOD reading is good for this). 5th seems to be slightly more economical than 4th at 31mph as the load is higher, but I always use 4th because the engine feels like it's labouring in 5th.

Must give that a try. I'm usually wearing a hat and hoodie but still cold when in a car lol.

Same intake temps as me. I thought they where a little high but it was on boost the whole time.

Ahh ok, I just wanted to check. without the grill block my brothers wont go past 80c.

It's pretty good if the road is dead. I used to drive home at 60mph but its more efficient going 70mph gliding to 55mph and then nearly flooring it to 70mph and repeat.

Ohh also made a change to cutoff. Made it 5. They say it should be 4 higher than TPS at idle? So I could of went 4 but wanted to see how it works out.

Also do you know if the tdi injects no fuel when decelerating or a small amount/reduced amount?

Been a while since I read the manual TBH so wouldn't like to say. 24 does seem high when you think about it but the mpg calculation was accurate so I left it.

I am sure that no fuel at all is injected when decelerating whilst still in gear. A tiny amount is injected every time you press the clutch to make gear changes smoother, but I don't think it's enough to affect mpg by a noticeable amount.

I am sure all Lupo's do, certainly DBW ones.

For exapmple, what cars from the last 20 years don't then Dblock?

I cant remember which ones don't as there isn't a comprehensive list but on some websites like evomodder etc people still complain about some 2000+ cars without dfco which I thought was standard for all cars.

Part of the club now. Got it plugged in and working?

waiting for delivery, I guess it'll come either today or tomorrow or if I'm unlucky Monday. I've already found a rather decent mounting spot :D

Got my scan gauge. Looks good so far. Haven't mounted it yet. Is it possible to feed the cable behind the trim surrounding the OBD2 port or is that a bit too much effort? Where are you guys mounting it?

I have a feeling the previous owners settings are still set on mine. I'm currently getting 10mpg :D guess it needs factory resetting.

Edited by Skezza

Ooh decided read the instructions. Need to do two fill ups. Right will have a read of the instructions in a bit.

Still wondering if I can feed the wiring behind the trim around the port? Dblock how have you mounted yours?

I have pushed the OBD port behind the centre console, and plugged it in so all the wiring is hidden.

what holds the obd2 port in place? Is it literally a case of pushing it or are there a few screws?

There are three clips - two on the top and one on the bottom (or possibly the other way round...). If you push a flathead screwdriver in the gaps just above and below the purple connector you can depress them and plug will slide out the back.

This morning, mine was just 69 degrees c. What's the easiest way to grill block

Once unclipped, can you still access the port from near the 12v socket then?