Intermittent starting issue TDI

Alex.T.Gates

Evening chaps/chappess's

So over the last few days I've been suffering a starting issue with my TDI, symptoms are:

Turn the key to position 2, normally I get a fuel prime squelch, no squelch!

Then I turn to position 3 and starter solenoid clicks, but that is all, motor doesn't even start to try to engage.

Upon releasing the key the ignition barrel locks to prevent me from trying again.

Now initially I thought the battery was dead, so struggling with my missus I managed to achieve a bump start, (I was bloody nackered!)

Ran fine, drove home, in fact ran fine for 3-4 days!

However it's now gone again, tried to jump start, made no difference, so I can rule out a battery issue.

I don't have an engine light flashing up, so there are no fault codes to be read..

So im presuming I have an intermittent issue with either starter motor or starter solenoid.

I've read another fault someone had with similar symptoms, but from what I can gather it was sorted with a new battery.

So has anyone got a clue what's up?

How easy is the starter to access?

What sort of money am I looking for for a new starter (if that is indeed the problem)

Thanks very much for your time

Alex

So you've had these exact symptoms?

What's relay 109 for? Starter?

On a little bit of an update, I bump started it again tonight and once again it seems to run fine, started it up 5 times with no issue?

Very frustrating!

I'll check out the relay Rob, thanks very much

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hi chaps,

Right so today I've had to take the day off work as once again this problem has come about.

The car has been running fine for a month yet this morning for some reason it has reared it's ugly head again.

The only thing I can think of as a potential external affect is the ridiculous wind and rain we've been having.

I never tried replacing relay 109 as the issue had gone, after reading about it I also don't understand how everything up to the point of turning ignition could work correctly if relay 109 was indeed faulty?

If anyone can explain as to why it could be causing my issue I'd appreciate it.

Anyway so to update you on my symptoms:

Ignition on, all lights come on and methodically go out as start up checks are undertaken

Glow plug coil comes on and goes out after alloted time as expected

I get the fuel prime squelch

I turn to position 2 and starter solenoid activates, you can tell current is being drawn as cabin light & fans dim.

But no activation from the motor itself!

It has to be starter motor or loom from solenoid. It just has to be!

However from what I can tell there is no corrosion on starter terminals (it actually looks like it's been replaced recently)

There is nothing loose or disconnected

There isn't really even any water in the area??

I have also already tried rocking the car in gear to loosen a potentially stuck starter pinion..

At a loss and getting wet... :(

I hope you can help path a way forward as I am at a loss..

Cheers,

Alex

Had something similar recently, please check my thread. Turned out to be a corroded wire going to the starter motor. The wire pulled right out of the connector with corrosion.. Give the wires going to the starter a tug to check if they are okay

• 4 years later...

Hey all I have some wired issue with my lupo the starter is good but the engine is spinning like 15 degrees and the starter disengage without starting the engine I checked the starter relay I get a new one still the same issue  I trace the wires for the relay command and the signal is falling too (the signal that is coming from the voltage stabilizer behind the driver seat in the b Piller )

What should be the case with this please give me a viable clue because I'm lost

Hey all I have some wired issue with my lupo 3l the starter is good but the engine is spinning like 15 degrees and the starter disengage without starting the engine I checked the starter relay I get a new one still the same issue  I trace the wires for the relay command and the signal is falling too (the signal that is coming from the voltage stabilizer behind the driver seat in the b Piller )

What should be the case with this please give me a viable clue because I'm lost

Edited by liviuanc