aerial upgrade help

vw_

hello all,

just a quick question to see if anyone know anything about this product?

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-SHARK-FIN-AERIAL-ANTENNA-VW-POLO-LUPO-GOLF-BEETLE-/120497522461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c0e36471d )

quality ? fitment ?

cheers Luke.

I'll simply copy and paste my answer from the other thread:

Regarding the aerial, I can't tell you how easy it'll be to fit, or the quality. Straight away, I'd say you need to remove the base of the OEM aerial, which is a bit of a pain, but not impossible. What I can tell you is despite what the ad says, it's not an upgrade. It's quite stylish and a bit more modern-looking, but you will definitely suffer a reduced quality in your FM and AM signal quality. If you're happy with that go ahead and buy it. I would like to see it fitted to a Lupo, but like I said, don't expect quality reception.

Edit:

As far as I can tell, the only benefit of this aerial, is that it has a 12v 'booster', which I assume acts a signal separation filter (which is something most people add to their stock antenna when fitting an aftermarket head unit). It may be a proper antenna amplifier, which is fine, apart from the fact it means any interference will also be amplified quite excessively. I'd keep well away to be honest.

Edited by Skezza

a cheers for your advise. im looking to get rid of my stubby aerial and replace with a shark fine! is this the case with all of them? or is this just a crappy aftermarket.

a cheers for your advise. im looking to get rid of my stubby aerial and replace with a shark fine! is this the case with all of them? or is this just a crappy aftermarket.

I've always been under the impression that for the best reception, a 16cm Bee Sting is the best. Obviously a shark fin is the best looking though. The only way to make a shark fin better than OEM, is to do a new aerial lining round the roof. It has been done successfully to a Lupo before.

When I got my Arosa, there was nothing but static from the radio. After replacing the aerial and base and most of the loom, the reception was still very poor - so before ripping it all out and starting again, I fitted a very cheap self adhesive windscreen (sticky) aerial off ebay - similar to 180915272105off - and reception was brilliant - needed a bit of extra sticky to hold the heavy base in black in summer temperatures - but for £2.99...................!!! So if you want a shark fin and reception - there are ways round it!

*Just in case anyone gets stuck*

When i bought my car it already had a shark fin aerial but the guy didn't know how to wire it up. After a lot of fannying about we figured we needed a raku to a fakra (it was a year ago but im sure that's what the connections were). You can't buy this so you need to buy the connections separately and splice them.

When I got my Arosa, there was nothing but static from the radio. After replacing the aerial and base and most of the loom, the reception was still very poor - so before ripping it all out and starting again, I fitted a very cheap self adhesive windscreen (sticky) aerial off ebay - similar to 180915272105off - and reception was brilliant - needed a bit of extra sticky to hold the heavy base in black in summer temperatures - but for £2.99...................!!! So if you want a shark fin and reception - there are ways round it

my minds glued on getting a shark fine! i take it you just run these through your head liner and have the black bit hanging out ? how did you install yours? but this means in need to buy a fake shark fin aerial

Look in the "How to" section - how to replace your aerial. I left my now cosmetic bee sting in place when I wired up the windscreen aerial.