Strange Idea?

EllBillDaveHam

Right, basically I like the body shape of the GTI, but I'm 17 and, for obvious reasons, would not be able to afford GTI insurance. A weird idea I had (which would probably end up worse off... who knows lol) was if I picked up a Gti with a knackered engine, and a 1.0 with a knackered body and dumped the 1.0 engine in the Gti Body what would the insurance think? (Or I could even just get a Gti, purchase a 1.0 engine&box for a few hundred squid to drop in and over time do bits of work on the 1.6 for when I'm older, have some ncb and can insure it lol.) Would I get away with a price that's maybe a bit more than a 1.0 or one that's more than a Gti! Sounds silly I know but it'd be a decent little project I guess :)

please don't hate<3

Edited by EllBillDaveHam

It is very possible but I would heavily discuss this with an insurance company and check the DVLA regulations.

Or just buy a GTI, reshell a one litre and be cheeky with the Vin numbers.

Its a good idea in theory, but it'll no doubt make very little difference to your premium.

- it will still look like a GTi, so will still be at a higher risk of theft than a 1l.

- insurance companies as a rule do not like engine conversions.

- GTi body panels etc aren't cheap, so the car will still have a higher premium as any repairs will be expensive.

I'd concentrate on finding a 1l with a solid body (which can look tody with the right mods). Or do some sensible stuff to lowe a GTi premium - parents insurance, better alarm/tracker, advanced driving courses/pass plus, limited mileage policy etc...

I might just stick with a basic 1.0 then, smooth bumpers etc and get a Gti after a couple of years... It's just I like the Gti rear bumper and arches but the shape is different :( I like the centre exit exhaust too, which I fount a jetex system that compensates for the wheel well shape. So I might just smooth the bumpers and custom cut the centre exhaust exit section :) That'll have to do :P

Also, the sport isn't too much more on insurance and it's a lot more fun compared to the 1L! But tbh, get a cheap 1.0l arosa or lupo (arosa's are generally cheaper) and save for a gti, I went 1.0 to 1.4 sport to the gti and the gti is so much fun but they're expensive... So IMO just get a cheap run about and save a few years :P

Just thought i'd mention, I'm 17 and I own a 1.4 S, the insurance premiums are exactly the same as a 1.0L for me, might be something to look into mate.

I'm only 18, with a claim at age 17! No one would insure me on a gti but the 1.4s for me is dirt cheap. Same quotes as a crappy 1L corsa. & I know what I would rather drive! And like you say you can always adapt the body work to your taste anyway.