WOLFIE - Spy's GTi

spy

Been posting here for a few weeks and finally picked myself up a Loop GTi.

It was the second one I looked at and compared t the first one, was miles better. Not perfect but given the price, I am really happy with it.

It is black and completely standard OEM plus optional air con and CD player.

It has only had two previous owner, the first for approx the first 11 years of its life and the second for the last year. The second owner was upgrading to an Audi S3 but not before servicing it incl plugs and putting on new brake pads and discs all round :)

In addition to all 3 keys (2 + plastic coding key) and a full set of manuals, it also has a gigantic pile of of paperwork with the original purchase invoice, every MOT and every invoice with servicing and all done at VW for the last 12 years :clap:

As I mentioned, not perfect and needs a few bits to get it perfect:

- A few minor paint marks commensurate with age

- Front door cards and trim showing a bit of age

- Some of the tyres need changing

Other than sorting out the above, I have a few additional plans for it which I would be grateful for some feedback.

I was thinking of adding the following

- Smoked Side Indicators

- Henka wind deflectors

- Carbon Fibre effect VW badge on front and back

- BBS wheels with black centre and polished rims

- Coilovers, maybe AP

What do people think of those changes ? Are the smoke indicators and black badges too much ?

And not forgotten, a couple of photos of the new baby:

Lupo-Side-1.jpg

Lupo-Front.jpg

Edited by spy

Well done! Interesting to see where you go with it!

Thanks.

I would welcome thoughts on the initial changes I listed

Smoked indicators would probably look good against the black as would SE rear light clusters.

Heko wind deflectors; depends why you want them; I bought them for my Arosa to stop the rain dripping on the pale grey interior. Doesn't help as their edge is still within the drop line of the bottom of the window. Stops the air getting in the car though. I never fitted them to the GTI, but bought a set for the Polo Dune as when I opened the rear windows for the dog, there was lot's off horrible buffeting. They stop the buffeting.

If you want them for style only; then it's your o[inion that counts. I would go for ClimAir ones though as they were the official VW item.

Carbon effect badges? Your decision, satin black maybe for me, but not sure on the carbon.

What style BBS are you thinking? Could look good, but I would be tempted to go dark gray to pull in with the smoked lights.

Coilovers a must. Which make depends on your budget.

Thanks Silver, as always, very helpful.

I wanted the wind deflector as I thought they looked good having seen a few photos with them on. Also helps not having the wind rushing in. I was going for Heko as looking on here, they seem to be the ones everyone recommends.

Not sure about exactly which wheels I would go for. The issue is that I need one new tyre now and potentially two new tyres very soon. My thinking was that it might be worth getting new wheels now (ideally I would have liked to wait) if I am going to spend the money on new tyres. I like the mesh style wheels with a chrome polished rim although.

Something a little left field, I quite like the look of these but not sure how they might look on the Panther !

DSCF4617_zpscde7bcf0.jpg

Hi Steve, thanks for posting. Seems there is not much love for the Carbon effect badge. I may go with the consensus and get the Satin or Matt then.

As regards wheels, I quite like the BBS RS style wheels but still not 100% decided.

I have posted below some photos of the ones I like:

BBS RM:

08375152-DA40-49DB-8628-70C8A437B716-793

BBS RS:

$(KGrHqVHJEIFI!hZDew)BSG1VosoEQ~~60_12.J

Deep Dish:

dishalloys.jpg

Cup:

DSCF4617_zpscde7bcf0.jpg

Any preferences ??

Coilovers... same with me, i´m depending between AP, FK AK Street or JOM :)

As regards coilovers, I am confused there as well.

I was thinking of going for AP as they are in the middle price wise but although people seem to rate them on here, there are some that have said the ride is too firm and the KW are much better !!

Don't really want to spend the money on KW but on the other hand, don't want t regret it later and cost me more money !

Before anyone else says it, they're not BBS RS, but more likely a copy wearing BBS centres.

PS you drive a Porsche and a Range Rover, the difference between AP and KW will be less than you pay on petrol in a week. :yes:

Oh, preference would be:

BBS RS

BBS RM

5 spokes

I hate those cups in the last pic.

I like Schmidt MLs, but not the splits. Basically Revolutions RFX. lots of pedigree...

16" have a nice concave face.

If you buy KW you will only buy once.

Also not a cup fan, they look cheap too. Something dished would work.

Nice original car, keep all the original bits and don't overly lovely personise it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. To be honest, the more I look at the Cups the least I like them - you are both right !

The BBS RS wheels I think are my favourite although I do also like the 4 spoke cross deep dish alloys, 3rd down in the list of wheel photos.

I won't be heavily customising. It will essentially be stock other than wheels, coilovers and a few lighting changes. Will definitely keep the original parts (maybe not the oem suspension though) so I can revert it back if I ever sell.

Good point there silver. The RRS takes about £80 in petrol a week. The Porsche is a weekend driver and show car so doesn't cost that much to run really.

Nice logic, I guess I could look at it as another two weeks petrol for the RRS !

I think for the time being, I will make a few small mods and change the tyres on the Bathurst alloys to keep me going.

Over winter, I will keep an eye out for any decent used BBS RS wheels in case I pick up a bargain with a view to putting them on in the summer.

I will also look at doing the coilovers after xmas.

If you only need one tyre, buy a pair of 195\45 and stick them on the front, put the remaining two 205\45 on the rear.

I ran mine like that for a while as it needed 2 new tyres when I bought it.

If you only need one tyre, buy a pair of 195\45 and stick them on the front, put the remaining two 205\45 on the rear.

I ran mine like that for a while as it needed 2 new tyres when I bought it.

That's not a bad idea. I may do that

• 1 month later...

I thought I would posy a quick update on Wolfie.

Just before I bought him, he had new pads and discs all round. Since buying, I have had the engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluid changed.

Last week, I got Yaash to put Powerflex bushes on the front arb and lower wishhbones. He noew drives much tighter :thumbup:

I have also changed the front wipers to Bosch aero blades. Just need to do the back one now.

I have also ordered a bunch of stuff from eBay which I have yet to get round to fitting. Hopefully will get them put on when the weather gets better. I bought the following:

Red stripe for grille:

796e_12.JPG

Wind Deflectors:

mUcl0ObMQe16uT3ecFh_x5A.jpg

LED Number Plate bulbs:

$(KGrHqYOKpsE6TDSLZGKBOshwg47Fw~~60_12.J