Grill blocking

Does the sdi have a heated fuel filter or does it warm up with the return fuel carrying heat?

Skezza are you using petrol or diesel just to stop it going thick or are you using SVO until it doesn't start lol.

I can remember using oil in winter. First few minutes cars idle was all over the place. Then when I drove it, it would be slow and hesitant. 10mins later no problem.

There was only a few times it wouldn't start.

Edited by Dblock

Does the sdi have a heated fuel filter or does it warm up with the return fuel carrying heat?

Skezza are you using petrol or diesel just to stop it going thick or are you using SVO until it doesn't start lol.

I can remember using oil in winter. First few minutes cars idle was all over the place. Then when I drove it, it would be slow and hesitant. 10mins later no problem.

There was only a few times it wouldn't start.

Just a standard fuel filter. Warms up with the return fuel. I've not seen a heated fuel filter for Lupo's only Peugeot's/Citroens.

I'm using mostly SVO with some droplets of diesel. Running underpower, but usable.

It idles rough but the best thing is to put your foot down straight away, that stops the oil from congealing in your piston rings. I've not had a no start condition, touch wood.

Get your grill block on. See your thermostat isn't knackered. I don't know if these cars are super efficient or over cooled maybe both but when it's cold you can't beat a grill block. VW do an oem kit for their cars too. Don't know about lupo though.

Changed the thermostat after the decat thinking something was up with it but it didn't make a difference. Also checked the old one in a pan on the hob and it was working fine.

Max coolant temp recorded in the last 2 days in the Scangauge was 90C though, so all seems well.

WP_20141201_19_27_44_Pro1_zps8ac936a6.jp

So cold.

Get some Audi heated seat switches, they go all the way up to 6!

Changed the thermostat after the decat thinking something was up with it but it didn't make a difference. Also checked the old one in a pan on the hob and it was working fine.

Max coolant temp recorded in the last 2 days in the Scangauge was 90C though, so all seems well.

Get some Audi heated seat switches, they go all the way up to 6!

These go up to 11.

• Like 1

Hi all!

I just can't help myself but I have to ask you guys how cold does it get there where you live?

I'm asking cause I live at the arctic circle and last winter it went down to -30 degrees some days. Usually it was between -25 and -10.

Yes, I did block the grill in my Lupo, but the idea is mainly to stop the wind from blowing straight to the engine, not to block the whole thing completely since air is needed anyways. So it's not really blocking, but directing the wind upwards? Hard to explain without pics but I hope you get the idea.

I haven't done it yet for this winter, because it has not gone lower than -10 yet. When I do I can post some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at -7°c today, after 5-7 min of driving at about 90 km/h it sits nicely at 90°c

I'm soon gonna find out what's it like when it's colder, since it was promised -26° for next week.

So I don't have a grill block as yet, but I'm planning to do that as soon as I have time.

Well, at -7°c today, after 5-7 min of driving at about 90 km/h it sits nicely at 90°c

I'm soon gonna find out what's it like when it's colder, since it was promised -26° for next week.

So I don't have a grill block as yet, but I'm planning to do that as soon as I have time.

Where are you measuring the 90c from? If it's from the temperature gauge that came with the car it's junk. Your coolant could be 55c and it says 90c on the gauge. Make sure it's measured with a scangauge or similar or Vagcom.

Edited by Dblock

Where are you measuring the 90c from? If it's from the temperature gauge that came with the car it's junk. Your coolant could be 55c and it says 90c on the gauge. Make sure it's measured with a scangauge or similar or Vagcom.

Oh yes, I forgot about that...

Well my point was that the car is warm, but I haven't tested temperature with anything, since I did trust the thing my car has :neutral:

It does bring hot air to the cabin when I ask for it :tongueout: ...unlike my 95 Corolla i used to have... in the city everything went well, but when driving at 80km/h, I was seriously freezing inside. But that's a different story i guess

but what I read is that most of you have diesel engines?

Mine runs with petrol, so I wouldn't know what's it like. So far I've driven two winters here at the arctic circle and I have no complaints, it does make a good winter car. So far it has always started up, even at about -30, and it's warm. Grill blocking helps with that.

Today I blocked the upper half of the grill.

BTW, how exactly are you doing the grill block? sometimes I see ridiculous wrappings when people don't care about the looks and they just put something to cover holes. Hope nobody does that to any Lupos :blink:

I did at least mine so that it can't be seen from outside

Yes, I know. That's why I wrote I wouldn't know what's it like driving a diesel car and trying to keep it warm since I don't have one :D

I can only speak for petrol engine Lupos that they make a fairly good winter car, and do need a grill block as well, but only if it gets really low temperatures.

Edited by Texa

• 11 months later...

I have a scangauge 2 and have noticed recently that the temp only gets up to 76 degrees maybe 78 if i am pushing hard. wondering if grill blocking should be something i try? My fuel consumption is always much worse in winter as well.

The engine always warms up pretty quickly so i don't think the stat is stuck open.

• 4 weeks later...

well i blocked the main part of the lower grill with a chopped up rubber car mat. still stays at about 75-78 deg. with some very spirited driving i managed to get it up to 86 at one point but still not great. i believe the stat opens at 87 degrees.

I think the temp sender is good as the dash displays 90 and stays pretty still and scan gauge tends to stay around 75.

so I am thinking change stat and see how it goes?

what do you think?