Grill blocking

So it's getting colder now. One think I notice in very cold weather e.g. 0 or lower diesels find it hard to stay at temp on motorways etc. Nothing to do with thermostat or temp sender. So if the car isn't at optimal temperature more fuel is pumped in. On some cars and especially in cold countries people block parts of their grill and radiator. This keeps the car at a more stable and higher temp in cold weather without it overheating.

So has anyone blocked their grill just so I can use the pointers.

Edited by Dblock

Why does the thermostat no shut if its dropping below operating temp?

Could you not put a different temp thermostat in there?

It will but the tdi's produce very little heat compared to a petrol. Changed my dads thermostat on his diesel and when in the -c's it struggled to stay at temp. Just the way diesels are. I suppose you could but it seems a faff for when summer comes back plus grill blocking can be reversed in a few mins.

True

I've been sat in the works van stationary for hours on end in the winter nights, after a few hours the heater stops blowing hot as the engine isn't generating enough heat at idle.

Had to sit there holding the revs up it just to keep warm!

Iv'e seen people block them with pieces of rubber pipe. They squeeze it between the grill. I'm guessing it won't matter much if you block the intercooler aswell? I am very interested if you do carry anything out. I might look into it myself. My journey is little more than 8 miles to work, just about reaches temp before I arrive lol. God only knows in the winter.

I wonder if there is anything which will pre warm my oil a hour or so before my journey. Could wrap a heated blanket around my oilpan haha.

Iv'e seen people block them with pieces of rubber pipe. They squeeze it between the grill. I'm guessing it won't matter much if you block the intercooler aswell? I am very interested if you do carry anything out. I might look into it myself. My journey is little more than 8 miles to work, just about reaches temp before I arrive lol. God only knows in the winter.

I wonder if there is anything which will pre warm my oil a hour or so before my journey. Could wrap a heated blanket around my oilpan haha.

You can and they are pretty cheap. We aren't so cold here to need to preheat the oil but driving gently for the first 10mins will help. A coolant heater will give you hot air and more mpg's quicker.

I don't want to block the intercooler ideally as I don't want to raise inlet air temp too much if I can help it.

They used to sell Grill masks for "real" Mini's. With a little flap which would roll up to let some air through.

You should see about getting one made for the Lupo.#

$T2eC16hHJF8FFptz5WpVBRs0Noz1j!~~60_35.J

That's the sort if thing I was looking at tbh but I was looking at using cardboard to see if the idea works then making it in plastic but ghetto style lol or tape but I don't know how how long that would hold up.

As said a pipe insulter is used on some cars but it wouldn't fit anywhere on the arosa. It's meant to fit between slats.

Edited by Dblock

Cardboard layered with gaffa tape would let you trial it and stay waterproof.

Heat the tape up on a radiator before putting it on as it makes it pliable and makes the glue stick better. I used to make temp repairs to my canoes. Lasted ages if done correctly.

one of the tutors in college put a Rubber car floor mat in-front of the rad in his old land-rover. of course it had a fan driven off the AUX belt but this helped it maintain temperature

• 4 weeks later...

So basically the pipe insulation wont work as thats for VW's with slats and my Seat has plastic with holes in it grill type of thing. I've not had a chance to look properly TBH but I want to see how hard it is either to put something on the grill and cable tie it on or without taking off the bumper, putting something to block the flow to the radiator.

had a further look today after messing around with my brothers car.

At the bottom of the arosa (the black bumper bit) there is some air scoop bits. I can fill them easily. The rest of it is hard as you I need something to block it with. On normal cars you can usually put something in front of the radiator to block flow but I can't since you cant get to it with out taking off the bumper OR you can put something on the grill which I can't because its perforated! So any ideas? I;m thinking to use a black bag and cable ties...

Skezza if the lupo has slats just use some pipe insulator :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

The old way was a sheet of thin hardboard with a small batten fixed on the top to stop it sliding all the way thru,

With Christmas coming up , everyone will have big boxes of sweets , grab the lid , flatten the three lips and slide that in, it's only a small rad so be careful not to block to much and using the plastic lid might safer than a metal one

Do Lupos sold in Sweden etc have any kind of additional parts?

Not sure but I have seen golfs. etc etc that have these winter covers with adjustable flaps for the grill.

I have got some old left over vinyl or something from my bathroom. I'm going to cut it out drill a few holes in it and cable tie it on. That way it's easily removable.

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got this done. Car has had new thermostat and coolant remote ture sensor so its optimal and a good control.

So used some lino that I had spare from the bathroom lol. Cut up a small section measure against the bumper and kept cutting until its the right size. I should have made it slightly bigger as it crumples slightly with the cable ties but it's still covered. On the arosa the main middle bit has been blocked with it and the bottom "scoops" haven't been blocked as I didn't want to over heat. I can always add more later rather than doing too much.

The result well very short journeys like 1mile-1.5 at 30mph nothing. I never drive my car like that anyways so im fine it was a test. Now tried my normal commute. Where the needle would be below 70c it was now above it. Way way quicker. Up to temperature where before it would be just over or at 70c. Brilliant. Blower seems hotter but could be placebo. Used pulse and glide no problems and temperature is stable. Came back. Super super windy so drove at 70mph to push the car so it's working hard. Rock stable temperature. Usually if I blast the heater to 4 it will cool round town driving but it stays hot. Heat up time is so much quicker. Going to do it on the other arosa tomorrow.

Higher temp means better mpg and comfort when cold.

Very happy.

So update on this. With the middle part blocked my coolant is at 88 degrees. The one on the car lies! It can be at 50c and it will say 70c on the car. Drops round town and when heaters are on hard. So going to block a little more.