Diesel tuning ??

Foogzy

Decent air filter makes a difference, pulls a bit better. Depending on the age (suppose that's all SDIs now!), the trumpet clean/removal is worth it, and if you're feeling inclined, clean the manifold and stick a new gasket while you're on. Regular services are the SDI's best friend though.

There was somebody a year back that had a remap done, think it brought the bhp and torque in line with the 3L's 1.2tdi, which is none too shabby. Think it kept the same MPG, just was better on response and up hills (the SDI's nemesis if judged wrong!) and overtaking when need.

I don't find my SDI too painful on hills, but as you say, a remap would be interesting.

Is the steps for cleaning the manifold basically the same cleaning the EGR, remove EGR then remove manifold after?

It was me that got the remap on my SDI. Probably the only person in the country? Ha! Took it from 60hp & 115 Nm torque to 70hp & 140 NM torque (claimed but not confirmed). That's the most a remap alone can achieve on the 1.7 SDI. I could tell the difference as I drove away from the tuner though, it's nice and nippy and doesn't feel like a gutless wonder and I still seem to average 68mpg with the driving I do, even on an 'off' week where I've ragged it around I get 65mpg. Remap cost me £150 which I weighed up as worth it 'cos I still spent a lot less altogether than buying a TDI Lupo. All I wanted was a little bit more oomph for the long hills I have to get up everyday and easier overtaking where opportunities are few and far between. I don't have to hesitate now as it will zip past without a problem. Everything else is standard, although I removed my intake trumpets as they were gunked up - well worth doing. But like everyone says, regular servicing is key and I change all the engine filters more regularly than recommended just to be kind to an ageing engine and make it last longer and perform to its best.

Def gonna do that diesel purge though! Worth it just to make it sound a bit smoother. What's the exact product you used Dblock? Cheers

Edited by Lupo-dreams
  • Like 1

I removed the trumpets on my sdi and i got a cheap box which allows me to adjust the fueling slightly (which will be removed once i can afford a remap ) it seems to plod pretty well up hills but that purge sounds like i should deff give that ago :) with an induction kit do people advise taking the standard air box off and putting a cone filter there instead ?

No ! They don't make ur car faster , if anything slower , and they can cause damage to the engine cos of heat soak , just go get a k&n panel filter instead , that way when u service it u don't need to replace it with another silly paper filter , if u want it for looks then just respray the air box and put on sum stickers :) the cone only makes a noise but doesn't improve Bhp, fact :) it may be worth drilling a hole in the front grill and getting some forced induction with an enclosed cone filter .. (Pipercross) Just before a remap though , but it would only add an extra 2 bhp or summin ( so its not really worth the hassle tbh)

What's this box ?

Edited by Foogzy

But there's a cold air feed coming from the wheel arch which would direct fresh air to the cone filter so it doesn't suck in hot air that's what made me think a cone filter could be a good choice :/ but you maybe right this is my first diesel :L and the box plugs into the injector pump (i think that's what its called) and its got a screw on the side of the box to allow more fuel in or reduce it. my dads friend recommended it to me because he had one on his fabia sdi and said it made a little difference :-/

No ! They don't make ur car faster , if anything slower , and they can cause damage to the engine cos of heat soak , just go get a k&n panel filter instead , that way when u service it u don't need to replace it with another silly paper filter , if u want it for looks then just respray the air box and put on sum stickers :) the cone only makes a noise but doesn't improve Bhp, fact :) it may be worth drilling a hole in the front grill and getting some forced induction with an enclosed cone filter .. (Pipercross) Just before a remap though , but it would only add an extra 2 bhp or summin ( so its not really worth the hassle tbh)

What's this box ?

What? It will cause damage through heat soak? Don't be silly. I agree to a certain extent that 90% of the time it will heat soak more due to location etc etc but it does depend on how bad the air box design is.

So buying a turbo is silly if I can just drill a hole and get "forced induction". FI means super or turbo charger not a ram air or piper cross filter. So you said getting a cone would destroy your engine and now your saying you will get 2bhp? You do know the only difference between a pipers and k&n is fabric vs foam?

Also it's liquid moly diesel purge I used.

I meant ram air , couldn't remember ;) and he means the standard cone filter , without an enclosed box I'm guessing ? :/ go hit up YouTube , theirs a video by Mighty car mods about pod filters , and shows the test for this topic (filters and induction kits) step by step , been a while since I watched it but it does give fact about the power figures , n no I didn't know the difference between the two brands ... But I know now :)

Remember the whole point in these forums is so everybody can spread each others advice and knowledge , I'm no motor mechanic but I do like to learn bro , and if somebody knows more than me , I'm very much able too shut my trap and listen :)

I don't find my SDI too painful on hills, but as you say, a remap would be interesting.

Is the steps for cleaning the manifold basically the same cleaning the EGR, remove EGR then remove manifold after?

Neither do I, it's just when the missus is driving and doesn't judge the gearing right!

In terms of cleaning the manifold, once you've taken the air box off to get to the trumpets, and taken the trumpets and the corresponding bolts that keep them in place off, there's only two further bolts keeping the manifold on the block. But yeah, EGR off first before you take the Manifold. Remember to junk the old gaskets and replace with new.

Also, in terms of sticking a cone filter on the intake, i wouldn't bother, my K&N filter that replaces the standard tube works great, and I can't see a cone up in the engine bay having better induction than one situated where it is.

It was me that got the remap on my SDI. Probably the only person in the country? Ha! Took it from 60hp & 115 Nm torque to 70hp & 140 NM torque (claimed but not confirmed). That's the most a remap alone can achieve on the 1.7 SDI. I could tell the difference as I drove away from the tuner though, it's nice and nippy and doesn't feel like a gutless wonder and I still seem to average 68mpg with the driving I do, even on an 'off' week where I've ragged it around I get 65mpg. Remap cost me £150 which I weighed up as worth it 'cos I still spent a lot less altogether than buying a TDI Lupo. All I wanted was a little bit more oomph for the long hills I have to get up everyday and easier overtaking where opportunities are few and far between. I don't have to hesitate now as it will zip past without a problem. Everything else is standard, although I removed my intake trumpets as they were gunked up - well worth doing. But like everyone says, regular servicing is key and I change all the engine filters more regularly than recommended just to be kind to an ageing engine and make it last longer and perform to its best.

Where did you get the remap done again, as it definitely seem worth it for that price. Especially as i'm not likely to be getting rid of mine anytime soon (...still gotta stick that 3L front on...).

Also in terms of modifying, there's always this again: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/90792-polo-classicestate-00-02-tdi-engine/?p=1052072

Edited by Hazy

I meant ram air , couldn't remember ;) and he means the standard cone filter , without an enclosed box I'm guessing ? :/ go hit up YouTube , theirs a video by Mighty car mods about pod filters , and shows the test for this topic (filters and induction kits) step by step , been a while since I watched it but it does give fact about the power figures , n no I didn't know the difference between the two brands ... But I know now :)

Remember the whole point in these forums is so everybody can spread each others advice and knowledge , I'm no motor mechanic but I do like to learn bro , and if somebody knows more than me , I'm very much able too shut my trap and listen :)

Fair enough. An enclosed system like a BMC etc is better as it will limit heat soak compared to a open cone filter but there is no such thing as ram air. Your cant "force" air into the engine unless your compressing it like a super of turbo charger. That's why it's known as forced induction or FI.

Also different cars react differently to induction lots etc etc. My old 106d's airbox was like a maze. I replaced it for an open cone and the performance was better. But in most modern cars at best your getting the same power maybe a slight bit more and at worse your losing a tad bit but the noise is the whole point which on a diesel is redundant. I'm not sure on as SDI but on a tdi the standard air filter is HUGE.

I'd honestly advice diesel purging it though. I drove my brother tdi and since I diesel purged mine it just runs smooth.

If I had a sdi 70hp would be ok.

U can't force it but the "ram should help " n yup the noise is better , had a cone on my pug 206 and it sounded a lot more grunty :) if their was a feeder tube for the air coming from the front of the car , surely if u kept that on some how and connected on a standard cone filter , the breather tube would help with the heat ?

Hazy - My remap was at UK Chip Tuning. It was listed as costing £200 but they did it for £150 without me even haggling, probably out of sympathy for the relatively low power gain compared to other engines, so it's worth haggling cos it's still only 10 mins work, they're not losing money!

Dblock - thanks, I've got all my tubing, in-line filter and vacuum fittings for doing a diesel purge on a closed loop, just need the Liqui Moly liquid now. Shame I can only find it on Ebay, they don't seem to do it at Halfrauds, Motosave, other high street stores. Bugger. Anyway, this is the how-to guide I've used to prepare what I need if anyone else needs it. It's American but you can get all the same stuff here. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948 and youtube vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ZGh1KEec Is that how you did it, Dblock?

Edited by Lupo-dreams

Sorry to hijack, what gaskets do I need if I'm gonna take off the inlet manifold and egr valve for cleaning? Is it just one inlet manifold gasket and one egr gasket? Hazy or anyone else who's done it? Want it all ready before I take anything off that's all. Cheers

Hazy - My remap was at UK Chip Tuning. It was listed as costing £200 but they did it for £150 without me even haggling, probably out of sympathy for the relatively low power gain compared to other engines, so it's worth haggling cos it's still only 10 mins work, they're not losing money!

Dblock - thanks, I've got all my tubing, in-line filter and vacuum fittings for doing a diesel purge on a closed loop, just need the Liqui Moly liquid now. Shame I can only find it on Ebay, they don't seem to do it at Halfrauds, Motosave, other high street stores. Bugger. Anyway, this is the how-to guide I've used to prepare what I need if anyone else needs it. It's American but you can get all the same stuff here. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948 and youtube vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ZGh1KEec Is that how you did it, Dblock?

Got mine off ebay too. Yes I did the same. Got fuel hose, inline filter, push connector things and a jar. I ran it for about 30mins and then when there was only a little I just bunged it in the tank.

Sorry to hijack, what gaskets do I need if I'm gonna take off the inlet manifold and egr valve for cleaning? Is it just one inlet manifold gasket and one egr gasket? Hazy or anyone else who's done it? Want it all ready before I take anything off that's all. Cheers

Gasket for the manifold is part no. 028129717D and the egr is 028131547F iirc (going off vagcat anyway -your local VW will know for sure, where I got mine). There's the lower connection of the egr valve, but i didn't renew/change that one, though it's probably worth doing it.

Cheers for the name of the remapping place, I wonder if there's anybody that would just flash a spare ECU...

Also, be nice to know if that diesel purge works, although wouldn't just taking the injectors out and giving them a clean do the same thing?

Edited by Hazy

Gasket for the manifold is part no. 028129717D and the egr is 028131547F iirc (going off vagcat anyway -your local VW will know for sure, where I got mine). There's the lower connection of the egr valve, but i didn't renew/change that one, though it's probably worth doing it.

Cheers for the name of the remapping place, I wonder if there's anybody that would just flash a spare ECU...

Also, be nice to know if that diesel purge works, although wouldn't just taking the injectors out and giving them a clean do the same thing?

Yes probably but I assume this would be more time consuming than the diesel purge especially on a pd engine.

Injectors are fussy and diesel purge is cheaper than doing it properly.

if it runs like Cack after diesel purge and its injector related Then you rebuild. not the other-way around

P1010241_zps502f2a05.jpg

i once tried to remove the EGR from my Lupo SDI to blank it off.

i gave up one bolt WOULD NOT shift.

i also have a Ghetto EGR blank on my GTD.

4043D423-7A86-491D-9E43-5298905E1E91-129

Ta for the tips. I've got the manifold off with the egr valve still bolted onto it for now. Stupid question but how do you get the second bolt off the egr...the one that secured the dipstick at one end...? Do you know the one I mean? Then what's the best procedure to follow for cleaning the egr out...if I get that far? Ta for any help.

Ta for the tips. I've got the manifold off with the egr valve still bolted onto it for now. Stupid question but how do you get the second bolt off the egr...the one that secured the dipstick at one end...? Do you know the one I mean? Then what's the best procedure to follow for cleaning the egr out...if I get that far? Ta for any help.

The egr cleaning I have used depends on how dirty it is. If its caked on then a screwdriver or the likes to scrape all the muck out until its a thin film then carb cleaner, petrol or white spirit plus loads of j cloths and 15p toothbrushes work well. If you have a container soaking it in the above can help once the main gunk is off.

Some people like to use a flame to clean it but its messy and can warp the metal.