Offsets...All Explained!!

ArosaPD

Whats the offset/PCD for the Lupo?

The offset for the Lupo is 38mm (GTI 43mm) and are `4-stud` with 100mm PCD, (see here to learn about offsets and PCD!) which it shares with the Polo. It is vitally important that the wheels that you fit to your Lupo are of the correct fitment. Failure to get these correct can be highly dangerous! A good Alloy dealer should sort all this out for you.

It seems quite obvious that there is some confusion about how to work out wheel offsets, so here goes.

OffsetImagexyz.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

The offset of a wheel is what locates the tire and wheel assembly in relation to the suspension. More specifically, it is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the rim. Below is an explanation of the various types of offsets which are pictured in the above graphic.

Positive Offset

A positive offset occurs when the hub mounting surface is on the street side (the side you see) of the center line of the rim. Most factory rims will have this type of offset.

Zero Offset

When the hub mounting surface is centered within the rim, it is known as a zero offset.

Negative Offset

If the hub mounting surface is on the brake side of the center line of the rim, it is considered a negative offset or deep dish.

Note that extensive negative offset can potentially cause increased steering wheel kick-back and place additional stresses on the vehicle's entire suspension.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Edited by Tigz

• 5 months later...

Heres my guide to wheels and tyres. Basically just gonna let you all know whats what in the world of wheels... If theirs anything missing, let me know.

Rite, So lets start with OFFSET, I'm sure you've all heard of it. But what the hell is it?

Image1

offset.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

This picture shows a wheel cut up. Basically, The offset, is the distance from the Centre line of the wheel itself, to where the hub of your car is in contact to the wheel.

For example if the distance from the centreline of the wheel to the hub contact surface is 18mm, it would be Offset ET18, On the otherhand if it was 52mm, it would be ET52.

So basically the higher the number, the further away from the closer the spokes will be to the caliper

Next, I'll explain about PCD PCD(pitch circle diameter) is the spacing of the studs, and also denotes the number of wheel studs/bolts

Image2

pcd.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

The first one in the picture shows a four stud, with these the PCD is measured between the centre of one wheel nut hole, and the centre of the one next to it. for example if in the picture above, the four wheel nuts were 100mm appart, This would be ETA 4x100

The second one in the picture shows a five stud, with these the PCD is measured between the centre of one nut, and to the direct opposite of the pitch circle, its not to easy to explain but the picture makes things a bit more clear. If this distance was 110mm, then it would be ETA 5x110

Last part for wheels, is The Centre Bore

The centre bore is the bit of the wheel that the entire weight of the car is rested on. I'm sure if you've ever taken a wheel off you'll have seen the bit which sticks out of the hub making contact with the hole in a steel wheel, or the recess in an alloy wheel.

Image3

centrebore.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

The centre bore is pretty easily measured, between the two furthest points of the hole/recess. If this measures 60.1mm, then the Centre bore would quite simply be 60.1mm!

Stud Paterns that i know - (Any others you would like to know just ask)

4 Stud VW - 4x100

Some 4 Stud Audi - 4x100

Some 4 Stud Audi - 4x108

5 Stud VW - 5x100 (Excl Mk5 Golf)

Mk5 Golf - 5x112

5 Stud Mercedes - 5x112

5 Stud Porsche - 5x130

Centre bores that i know - (same applies, let me know if theirs any u want to know)

VW - 57.1mm

Porsche - 71.6mm

Fiat - 56.1mm

Vauxhall - 56.6mm

Renault - 60.1mm

Mercedes - 66.6mm

Edited by nfbr
  • Like 2