few questions about running a lupo on veg oil

Hello everyone i been thinking about running my lupo sdi on veg oil but theres some questions i would like to ask everyone.

1.is it legal ? (if not then i wouldnt bother doing it)

2. I think i seen someone say on another forum that they run 100% veg oil in the summer and 50% veg oil/diesel mix in the winter ? Would that be ok ?

Thanks everyone :)

Hello everyone i been thinking about running my lupo sdi on veg oil but theres some questions i would like to ask everyone.

1.is it legal ? (if not then i wouldnt bother doing it)

2. I think i seen someone say on another forum that they run 100% veg oil in the summer and 50% veg oil/diesel mix in the winter ? Would that be ok ?

Thanks everyone :)

Which lupo? Sdi I assume?

:doh::bleh:

Yes, of course it's legal.

As for the mixture, it depends on the temperatures. Even 50:50 can be too much veg oil when it's very cold, so you may need to use more diesel, such as 75:25. Likewise in the summer you may still need some diesel in the mixture to get the engine going. My brother has had some nervous moments with his 1Z engine, when the weather has turned cold, and he's had too much veg oil in the tank.

Depending on the quality of veg oil you use, you may need to change the filter more often. I have a friend that just stuck chip shop oil unfiltered straight in the tank, and let the fuel filter do all the work.

I have been told not to bother with Crisp 'n Dry, as it's not worth the extra expense. Also if you get desperate for fuel, G00 4000 will work, but it will create a lot of smoke.

• Like 1

Best to buy 100% clean stuff from Costco and as said its tax free up to 2000 -2500 litres . It generally works better in older cars rather than newer ones with more complicated diesel injection systems . Wouldn't even bother with used vegetable oil as its dirty as even if it has been filtered the temperature has altered it . My dad used to use a high % of vegetable oil to diesel throughout the year with no problem .

As for the potential issues with ignition is just generally down to cetane numbers and the requirement for the fuel to auto ignite under pressure

Thanks for the info guys and dblock would i have to declare it to anyone ? And i dont think so theres just fuel pipes connecting to it so i guess not :-/ and very good info fretwell :) i can get 20 litres of veg oil for 19 pounds in makro so thats what made me start thinking about running a lupo on veg oil :L

I ran my t4 on it, all really depends on the fuel pump as veg oil can perish the seals. also depends how the fuel is squirted into the engine. 1st time using oil, change the fuel filter after 500 odd miles, also can add a little 2stroke oil as it lubes the engine. to thin it all you can also add a tiny amount of unleaded! well, you could in my van, not so sure on a lupo

hi geeza and yeah i found out that the bosch fuel pumps will work with it better than the lucas ones, is this true ? and i got told to change the fuel filter a bit more because of the veg oil will clogged it up quicker with the dirt from the fuel tank ? and i'll have a read to see if i could put a little bit of unleaded with the veg oil, well i will have to read more about it before i feel comfitable tipping veg oil into the little lupo :coffee: thank you for the info ! and yeah i think i'l price up new glow plugs and starter motor and work out if its really worth it because i dont wanna try and start it one day to find out their dead :ermm: thanks for the information everyone :) (as you can tell i wasn't expecting much of a response but im chuffed now :thumbup: thanks guys ! )

Yes bosch pumps have metal parts and lucas are usually plastic. Yes, after the first 1000 miles you will notice the car will be harder to start. The veg oil cleans everything! So all the dirt etc is pushed to the filter and gets clogged. Also try to get a few as your first few thousand miles is when most of the cleaning is done. Also IMO i'd reduce your service intervals. Maybe 4-5k miles for an oil service. I don't see how it will put more strain on glow plugs, yes the starter motor will be working longer but not harder. Even then I'd doubt you would notice a difference in life of the part as a start can give up at pretty much any time.

You can put a small amount of unleaded or acetone to thin the veg oil but I ran a small amount of diesel to thin it e.g. 3/4 of oil and then 1/4 of diesel.

where I spoke of the starter motor, this only starts giving hassle if the glow plugs aren't really working too well. it's worth when starting from cold too let the light go out twice to make sure they are properly heated up

so its pretty good for the car really then ? and who do i have to declare it to ? or can i just run it ? and thank you for the information everyone :) im thinking of just running it when its on offer and cheap :)

to be honest, just add 10l per tank full of diesel to see you it goes for a bit. if wanting to run it fully on oil I don't know enough about the fuel pump on the lupo. not sure who made it. just run like I said but do change the filter after about 500 miles, then maybe again 500 to 1000 after depending how you use it

I ran my GTD on Veg oil for a bit.

it ran okay, but the car was not as good on fuel (10-20% less MPG)

Tesco Newport do 10L or Veg oil for £10

i used to take a trolley and fill it with a few bottles.

i ran 50/50 mix by the way

5k oil changes too, as i did lots of research and lots of it said about it contaminating engine oil much more