Noisy Check Strap Repair - Better that new?

ZOMG!! So much better.

I took it off, so I could keep retrying filled down bearing and gave it a good old de-grease and re-grease.

Then it started to lash it down, so only done the drivers door, but that's the one that was wobbling about, passenger side not too bad but will re-do.

Getting the old bushing out was a pain, attacked with screw driver, side cutters, then one side popped out, then attacked the other side with pliers by pushing in (just the right size) and other bit came out.

Used emery cloth which was very laborious, then used waterpump pliers and went in, job done :0

• 3 weeks later...

Just done my door straps! Really simple to do. Flat head screwdriver to lever out old bush. Quick dremmel on inside of new brass bush with a grinding attachment to allow bolt to fit. Slight sand on the outside with wet and dry, press in with G Clamp, job jobbed.

Before:

IMG_20140316_112131_zpsqmgd9zev.jpg

During:

IMG_20140316_112942_zpseycgwqwm.jpg

After:

IMG_20140316_113926_zpsrosufqlo.jpg

Edited by Lupo675

Does anyone know what the mounting bracket on the car does when the door closes?

Does it push back into that hole that it's sticking out from, or does it stay where it is and push into the hole area on the door

Edited by stator

With brute force and idiocy. There's two bushes that sort of plug into each other. The bottom one actually collapsed before I had chance to remove it, and just dropped out on its own. For the second, I took a flat head screwdriver and lifted round the edges, but that was starting to crack it. So, I took a piece of nylon tube of a close diameter, and shoved it from the bottom while lifting the top edge. It jumped out with a bit of effort.

Beware, once you've done it, there's no going back. You need to get the brass bush fitted. Also, don't add any oil before fitting the brass bush. It's oilite, and will make the job harder.

Just wanted to understand this better as I may do this at the weekend.

When you say it started to crack, what did, the lever or the old bush ?

I assume you mean the lever as I guess the old bush is being thrown away anyway ?

Edited by spy

Just wanted to understand this better as I may do this at the weekend.

When you say it started to crack, what did, the lever or the old bush ?

I assume you mean the lever as I guess the old bush is being thrown away anyway ?

No, the top hat of the old bush started to crack. If you crack it, it'll make it harder to lever out.

The way the original bush works is like Male and female, it pushes in to each other.

I just attacked one side, then the top half come out, then pushed the bottom half out. Mind you I had to use perfectly fitting pliers to push down.

It'll come out after 3-4 mins of trying at most

It'll come out after 3-4 mins of trying at most

This. I literally got the flat head and just levered it out. As said though, no way you can use it again if you want to go back!

Edited by Lupo675

Thanks for explaining that guys. One other question which may sound stupid, I am planning on leaving the check strap in the door and trying to do it whilst the door is attached to the car. How did you ensure you did not bend the check strap lever or create other issues whilst applying pressure to remove the bush ?

Thanks for explaining that guys. One other question which may sound stupid, I am planning on leaving the check strap in the door and trying to do it whilst the door is attached to the car. How did you ensure you did not bend the check strap lever or create other issues whilst applying pressure to remove the bush ?

Wedge the door between two things, like a bag of bags against a wall and you, or get a helpful friend to hold it. :yes:

Edited by mattarosa

You don't need the door, just take the check strap out.

So you need to remove the bottom door card, then undo the 2 10mm bolts I think, put your hand inside the door and retrieve.

I didn't fancy trying to push the old check strap out whilst in situ, bit awkward I would imagine, plus I gave it a ruddy good clean and regreased

Did mine in the door. On a slope with no extra help. The door doesnt move much if youre careful. It really doesnt take much effort to lever out the bush so you should be fine.

Edited by Lupo675

Thanks guys. I was hoping to tackle this at the weekend but the bushes haven't arrived :glare:

Just FYI, I picked mine up from bearingboys.co.uk.

I ordered from Bearing Shop on eBay

• 11 months later...

attempted this today with the new metal replacement rings but when i took the old plastic bush out there's like a ring of what appears to be metal on the inside of the strap about a mm or two which makes it so i can't get the replacement in. Does this metal ring come out aswell or is mine a different type of strap? I'd take a picture but it is now pissing down!

Edited by Skajme

• 3 years later...