pulling away not smooth + starter noise

wall-e

Hi guys,

I've only had the gti for a fortnight, but thought it might be worth checking in to see if anybody can shed some light on a couple of little issues.

1) From a cold start it is quite hard to pull away smoothly, unless giving it a lot of gas. Now I'm aware that this makes me sound like I can't drive, but joking aside, it can be quite hard to pull away smoothly in the morning. I thought perhaps I'm just not used to a fly by wire throttle, my last car (106 gti) was running a cable system. However, having worked on all my own cars, something tells me this is sensor related. This behavior goes away once shes warm and I have no fault codes present.

2) The starter motor emits a kind of high pitched comedy 'bark' when I start the car. Its only momentary, but pretty annoying/amusing. A friend had a mk4 golf with the same problem, but we didn't bother to investigate futher. As long as its just cosmetic I'm happy to leave it alone.

So I guess any ideas would be helpful.

Other than that, loving the car. Its lovely to live with after the 106, although much less involving to drive.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to turn a few heads, which is a nice surprise!

Edited by wall-e

Not sure for number 1, but for number 2, I have that issue in the winter and my mechanic just told me to live with it. Doesn't really do it in the summer though.

The cold start issue is common, mine does it.

If you can't live with it iv'e read new plugs, leads and a coil pack will sort it somewhat.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Funnily enough I was also just reading this:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/72490-my-gti-is-slow/

I can definately live with it, just wondered if it was an easy fix. Also I guess I threw too many parts at the last car to be doing the same again. lol

My GTI suffers the exact same problems. I park in a multi story every day and the noise is quite funny to me but people on the outside really dont get whats going on! The cold "jumpiness" is just something I have learnt to live with

When you start the car in the mornimg, do you leave it a few mins then drive of? You should always do this, and do not go above 3k until warm. Oil needs to do its magic before you rag the nuts of it.

The M5 only allows upto 4.5k until the engine is warm then goes to the 7k, for the very same reason

When you start the car in the mornimg, do you leave it a few mins then drive of? You should always do this, and do not go above 3k until warm. Oil needs to do its magic before you rag the nuts of it.

The M5 only allows upto 4.5k until the engine is warm then goes to the 7k, for the very same reason

TBH I don't sit there and let it idle to warm up (as such), just take it easy until the car is at temperature. I guess it probably runs for a minute or so while fiddling with the stereo etc.

Either way, the more I'm reading into it, sounds like this is just a quirk of the car... part of its personailty if you like :)

Edited by wall-e