Cheap 2 Din Head Unit

Yes but radio 1 will be in Chinese.

Thank **** I don't listen to Radio 1 :D

I'm a dedicated MW listener. If it's not MW, it's a CD or SD card.

Edited by Skezza

Thank **** I don't listen to Radio 1 :D

I'm a dedicated MW listener. If it's not MW, it's a CD or SD card.

How old are you!

What does the FM go from and to frequency wise. I know there are Chinese units but JDM cars usually only get radio2. Also the dvd player are they region unlocked and do they play mp3's from the disc? Does the bigger SD cards work like 16gb+ and how are the search times?

How old are you!

What does the FM go from and to frequency wise. I know there are Chinese units but JDM cars usually only get radio2. Also the dvd player are they region unlocked and do they play mp3's from the disc? Does the bigger SD cards work like 16gb+ and how are the search times?

I'm 23 :P but News and Sport is on MW. Radio 5 Live and occasionally TalkShite. If Stoke are playing I might... listen to Radio Stoke however as I'm a season ticket holder I'm usually there and if it's away I'll find a hooky stream on the net.

Frequency Wise, there's a setting in the Factory Menu for various regions and what not. I have it on Europe mode which means I pick up 87.5Mhz to 108MHz which I believe is standard for cars in this country. It certainly picks up Radio 1 lol. I have been forced to listen once or twice by the other half.

DVD Player is region unlocked, and plays MP3's, WMA and various forms of video file. I used to use a 16GB one but never tried anything larger. Can't see why it wouldnt work mind. The search times are decent on this model. It takes about 5 seconds to do an 8GB card. I'd say they're better on this one than my old one though. I've had a few models to be honest, because I tend to get one, enjoy it, then see a feature I want on another model and buy that one. I've never made a loss mind so that's worth noting. I think I'm keeping this one though. The TMC function is just too good to get rid of and the rest of it is very good. On the two previous models I had, the SD card initial loading times were considerably slower. The first one took about 10 seconds to search and the second took about 15 seconds. That said, once loaded, the files load instantly and let's be honest, what's 15 seconds in the context of an hours journey ;):D

Edit: I've noticed the quality of the SD card doesn't make much difference to search times. Class 2 or Class 10, they're roughly the same in terms of loading speeds.

Edited by Skezza

I'm 23 :P but News and Sport is on MW. Radio 5 Live and occasionally TalkShite. If Stoke are playing I might... listen to Radio Stoke however as I'm a season ticket holder I'm usually there and if it's away I'll find a hooky stream on the net.

Frequency Wise, there's a setting in the Factory Menu for various regions and what not. I have it on Europe mode which means I pick up 87.5Mhz to 108MHz which I believe is standard for cars in this country. It certainly picks up Radio 1 lol. I have been forced to listen once or twice by the other half.

DVD Player is region unlocked, and plays MP3's, WMA and various forms of video file. I used to use a 16GB one but never tried anything larger. Can't see why it wouldnt work mind. The search times are decent on this model. It takes about 5 seconds to do an 8GB card. I'd say they're better on this one than my old one though. I've had a few models to be honest, because I tend to get one, enjoy it, then see a feature I want on another model and buy that one. I've never made a loss mind so that's worth noting. I think I'm keeping this one though. The TMC function is just too good to get rid of and the rest of it is very good. On the two previous models I had, the SD card initial loading times were considerably slower. The first one took about 10 seconds to search and the second took about 15 seconds. That said, once loaded, the files load instantly and let's be honest, what's 15 seconds in the context of an hours journey ;):D

Edit: I've noticed the quality of the SD card doesn't make much difference to search times. Class 2 or Class 10, they're roughly the same in terms of loading speeds.

Ah great. What about bluetooth does it do calls and a2dp? Is there a ipod/iphone plug in bit or just usb? Can you navigate the ipod from the screen?

Does the class 10 read faster though? I know they write faster? Maybe the reader is limited on to class 2. If it has a usb plug have you tried a good card reader and the 2 different types of card?

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, after 8 months of good use, today my head unit died suddenly... :(

Once i get home i'll check the fuse, maybe i'm lucky and it just simply blown.

Before you jump to conclusion check the fuse. Once disconnected, I also suggest leaving it for a while, they have an internal polyfuse which can blow and take a few hours to reset.

Before you jump to conclusion check the fuse. Once disconnected, I also suggest leaving it for a while, they have an internal polyfuse which can blow and take a few hours to reset.

Sadly its not the fuse. One of the screw in the back was very loose though, so i will take it apart just to make sure that every component is in place inside, maybe the vibration caused some trouble.

Sadly its not the fuse. One of the screw in the back was very loose though, so i will take it apart just to make sure that every component is in place inside, maybe the vibration caused some trouble.

If you need any help let me know. Most of these head units are built in the same factory using the same components etc and really the only difference is the ROM which is skinned and flashed by the reseller. I took one apart a few months back and successfully fixed it (screen was unresponsive). In the most part, they're quite straightforward to work on and there's very little to go wrong (As hard as that is to believe).

I dissasambled it, everything looks fine as far as i can tell, so no idea whats wrong yet.

If i try to hook up the red and yellow wire to a regular 12v adaptor, can i test it to see if theres power inside? Or i need to connect all of the wires too to test the device?

Thanks, tried it, still no power at all, i even tried to turn on with the remote, doesn't work. Checked with a multimeter, power goes through the connectors so not sure whats wrong.

Here is an image from the inside, maybe someone will notice something i don't: http://cl.ly/image/1b3D3b1u1v1u

Edited by passatgt

How are you wiring into the PSU? Are you using the stock wiring harness or have you tried a different one?

OK and you've had no luck?

Hmm. I suggest checking all harness connections on the board. Check they are tight. They use clamp style connectors. Check they are all very secure and then blast each one with some good quality electrical solution.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this, i found a guy who checked it for me, a small wire-thingy was broken, he fixed it for 10 bucks, all good now:)

Great news. Like I said, there isn't much to go wrong in the most part. The mainboards are all standardized and follow a typical off the shelf architecture, usually based on Windows CE platform. Most of the other components are modular, plug and play... as they say. Parts that are found in all sorts of devices, tried and tested. Obtained cheaply due to the close proximity of manufacturers.

Any idea which wire it was?