Draining engine fluids on ramps

Hi,

I'm planning to do some fluid changes on my 2004 lupo 1.4 S (75BHP BBY engine code) - so that would be gearbox oil, engine oil & coolant.

i was planning it out thinking how to do it easily & thought that it would be easier if I put the lupo on some ramps like these: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_899719_langId_-1_categoryId_255207 (The individual type ramps which you drive your car onto to elevate either the front or back)

However, what I wasn't sure on was if I would be ok using these as the fluid might go to the back of the engine etc? So would it be OK or be better to just jack the car up on one side, or not raise it up at all?!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Max

IIRC the sump plug on the petrols is at the back too.

You could always drive the front of the car up on ramps, and thej jack the back up onto axle stands. This has worked for me in the past.

Shouldn't the car be level when emptying fluids anyway? So axle stands would be even more ideal *shudders & throws up* damn I'm too paranoid

What do you use then?

For a oil change I use ramps and put axle stands there too. Or if it's just the front 2 axle stands taking the weight. The jack still there and 2 extra stands just incase. Plus if the wheels are off put them under the sides.

What do you use then?

For a oil change I use ramps and put axle stands there too. Or if it's just the front 2 axle stands taking the weight. The jack still there and 2 extra stands just incase. Plus if the wheels are off put them under the sides.

I don't use ramps or axle stands. Have a phobia of them, ramps I'm slowly starting to not mind again, but I do the stuff without ramps, makes the jobs 1000x harder but oh well :(

lupos only weigh a tonne lol ramps and axle stands are designed to hold that much weight individually quit being pussys aha :)

You right plus it shared between the different points. But I always think better safe then sorry.

So I did the gearbox oil change on the ramps, and was just about to do the engine oil, but realised that I didn't have a oil filter wrench - will I need one of these? Or will I be able to undo it with a spanner (as the new one looks like it has somewhere to tighten it on the back)

Also how tight shall I torque it up to?

Cheers

It's never gonna be used again so some more farmer logic is to smash a screwdriver through it and turn it with that. The new ones are only suppose to go on hand tight anyway. Which is why you put some oil on the rubber seal, so as long as you have dry hands to put it on you'll be fine :)

Edit: hand tight with and then a very minor tighten with a suitable spanner

Edited by gatesy0093

We tried everything with our Lupo to remove the oil filter, didn't want to use the screwdriver job as I've seen some stubborn ones which STILL haven't come off, then the car is completely unusuable until you get the remaining filter out. I've only seen a few cases though.

After many different straps and all sorts, I went to my brand new expensive toolkit and removed a 30mm socket (think it was 30, was the highest I had) on the end of the filter and came off :D - Had only been trying for a year or so with different tools lol.

I then hand tightened but done it alittle with the socket as my hands were slippery as hell

Also have you REALLY noticed any difference since changing the gearbox oil? Ours feels abit clunky, was thinking of doing the gearbox oil but these days (still the case in 99?) they're filled for life allegedly, so not sure if it's just a waste of X poundage

Also have you REALLY noticed any difference since changing the gearbox oil? Ours feels abit clunky, was thinking of doing the gearbox oil but these days (still the case in 99?) they're filled for life allegedly, so not sure if it's just a waste of X poundage

It feels slightly smoother through some gears but I think I need to add a little extra oil as I only put 2L in and apparently it takes 2.5L - I think it's good to change it in these lupos as they are notorious for the gearboxes going. New oil can only be a good thing, and considering the colour of the old oil I'm glad I changed it.