Constant noisy tappets - need to replace?

as stated in the title, my engine has a constant noise from what can only be the tappets.

the tappets have always been noisy upon start up then died down to a very minimal tapping noise when warm (which never bothered me)

but this new, constant, very loud tapping noise sounds quite abnormal.

ive had a look around and a read up and i know that an engine flush and oil change can work, and also this, plus dropping the sump and cleaning out some pipe (cant remember the name). and the usual filter change etc.

any other help/advice would be appreciated :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just read your post about noisy tappets ? mine seems to be the same ,i have done approx 1500 miles and it has not got worse but it still concerns me , the lupo is a 1.4 s auto 2004 60000 miles one owner full service history ,so it has been looked after ?

The chap i got it from said that they are all like that , and not to worry !!

So have you found out anymore about it ? cheers Andy ....

Things you can try:

It sounds silly but check the oil level first.

Oil flush and change using a GENUINE VW oil filter. Cheaper ones dont always have non-return vales in which can lead to tappet noise. I used Wynns as a flush and had good results.

Replacing oil with slightly thicker oil if the car can take one i.e. if your using 5w40 and the car can take 10w40 go with that as its slightly thicker and may shut the engine up a bit.

Using the best oil you can afford.

Taking the sump off and cleaning it and the oil pickup pipe.Make sure you reseal the sump properly when you replace it.

Ultimately though your best bet is to replace the tappets. However, when i did the above on my current polo it improved the tapping noise it had a fair bit. Its now at a bearable level.

Hope thats of some use :)

Edited by madmanncfc

its worth taking the rocker cover off and checking your lifters and cam aren't screwed too. if they are rooned just get a cam of a low mileage Polo at there stomping ground (the scrap yard) and a new set of lifters, which just slot in an out and it should be much quieter.