Replacement

davidelliott294

Hi,

Turning 19 in a few months and will soon be looking to sell my car for something a bit quicker.

I'm looking to spend ~£6000-7000

I've been looking at;

Astra VXR

Corsa VXR

Mini Cooper S JCW

Any other suggestions? Don't really like the FN2s so I ruled them out, something I don't like about the new Clio as well. I thought about the Ford Focus ST but they are proper thirsty in comparison to the astra vxr apparently...

Edited by davidelliott294
  • Like 4

Main bad point for the Gen 1 is the ridonkulous £300 road tax price. Also read that they're not as well built as the Gen2, but they seem better built, mechanically. Also everything for a Mini seems way overpriced compared to a VW.

Get something with 6+ cyl and never look back! I'm guessing you don't mind paying a bit more on the insurance judging by your choices ;)

R32

147 GTA

Z4 3.0

350Z

Monaro (although that might be pushing it, insurance wise...)

VX220 (not 6 cyl...but still)

£300 road tax?! **** me!

Yeah mini parts are expensive :( could be worth it though if you really like the car.

I thought about e46s as well, really like them.

R32 - too heavy.

Not keen on the 147

Don't like z4s not 350z'

Insurance for the cars I listed in the first posted isn't too expensive.

Vxr 1400, mini 900.

looked at a few of these for my brother, ended up in a mazda 3MPS, for the same sort of money they were less to insure and a lot newer/lower milage than most of the others on your list

With a Peugeot engine

The R53 engine is a BMW unit, only the R56 is a joint BMW/PSA effort. Both won engine of the year in their respective categories I believe.

I had an R53, the engine is fantastic, but thirsty. 200bhp plus is yours for less than £300 if modding is your thing, and the sound of the super gadget at full chat is better than any vauxhall with a big exhaust (and I currently have a vauxhall with a big exhaust!)

Between the Astra and Corsa VXR, driven both, much preferred the Corsa.

R32 - too heavy.

R32 (asuming that MattyB means the skyline, what with the wole 6 cylinder thing) 1200kg

Corsa vxr 1200kg

Astra vxr 1300kg

Mini 1100kg

Still think the R32 is heavy? It's also by far and away the best looking of the bunch + a FR layout means the most fun ;)

The R53 engine is a BMW unit, only the R56 is a joint BMW/PSA effort. Both won engine of the year in their respective categories I believe.

Its all well and good until the common fault of Timing Chain and Carbon build up arises, which Mini UK refuse to fix, even though they know its an issue. Regular Cooper or Diesel engines on R56/55 maybe great, but Cooper S is riddled with issues.

A mate of mine has just got a Corsa redtop off eBay for next to nothing. Admittedly it is fast but it's very very unstable. I actually don't feel safe while he drives it. He hits corners faster than the car was ever designed to do and it feels like the chassis of the car is about to tear in half and I actually mean that. The suspension is clearly not up to the task of a big 2.0 litre engine and the brakes are absolutely terrible, especially for such a powerful car. Supposedly, the guy he got it off upgraded the brakes. Not sure I believe that to be honest.

So yeah, just my opinion on if you decide to go for something like a Corsa redtop. There's a reason they go for cheap on eBay.

Edited by Skezza

looked at a few of these for my brother, ended up in a mazda 3MPS, for the same sort of money they were less to insure and a lot newer/lower milage than most of the others on your list

Yeah these are very cool cars!! Could end up looking at these too. Look alot like the Subaru hatch.

I had an R53, the engine is fantastic, but thirsty. 200bhp plus is yours for less than £300 if modding is your thing, and the sound of the super gadget at full chat is better than any vauxhall with a big exhaust (and I currently have a vauxhall with a big exhaust!)

Between the Astra and Corsa VXR, driven both, much preferred the Corsa.

Yeah Mini is quite thirsty :( Astra is quicker so that's what made me think Astra.

R32 (asuming that MattyB means the skyline, what with the wole 6 cylinder thing) 1200kg

Corsa vxr 1200kg

Astra vxr 1300kg

Mini 1100kg

Still think the R32 is heavy? It's also by far and away the best looking of the bunch + a FR layout means the most fun ;)

I'm sure he meant the Golf R32 as the Golf R32 is a 6 cylinder as well..

A mate of mine has just got a Corsa redtop off eBay for next to nothing. Admittedly it is fast but it's very very unstable. I actually don't feel safe while he drives it. He hits corners faster than the car was ever designed to do and it feels like the chassis of the car is about to tear in half and I actually mean that. The suspension is clearly not up to the task of a big 2.0 litre engine and the brakes are absolutely terrible, especially for such a powerful car. Supposedly, the guy he got it off upgraded the brakes. Not sure I believe that to be honest.

So yeah, just my opinion on if you decide to go for something like a Corsa redtop. There's a reason they go for cheap on eBay.

Wasn't in my list

Buy a nice family saloon and live the luxury, especially for £6-7k you could get a nice one for that :)

I'm 19...

nah, not into this sort of stuff

Bah doesn't matter about age. My first car was an Audi A6 at 19, saves changing cars when your cirumstances change. Think of the baby making in the roomy back seats haha., none of that on my leathrs tho :P

But my personal hobbys, camping, cycling etc means I need a big boot, so all relative really :P

Bah doesn't matter about age. My first car was an Audi A6 at 19, saves changing cars when your cirumstances change. Think of the baby making in the roomy back seats haha., none of that on my leathrs tho :P

But my personal hobbys, camping, cycling etc means I need a big boot, so all relative really :P

That won't be for another 7 years haha, plenty time for different cars.