Oil Light Flashing and Beeping

ruthev

So I bought my X reg Lupo last week, and the oil light keeps flashing and beeping intermittently. Oil and filter have been replaced twice in the last week and still the same issue. Oil pressure normal and filled up to the correct level, but it is still telling me theres something wrong! :( The car drives perfectly and the engine sounds normal, the light only seems to.come on when I'm pulling off at lights or whatever. Is this something I should worry about? Taken it to the garage and they can't see anything wrong with it?

Either the oil pressure is low (I'm assuming this isnt the case as it would have likely imploded by now seen as you have bee driving it around!)

Probably the oil pressure switch is broken and giving false readings - if you have taken it to a garage they really should have picked up on that, this is simple stuff

Same as the misses car.

We changed oil, oil filter & oil pressure switch. Was fine then went shopping the other day and the light came on and we were like "Whhyyyy, we've changed everything"

We suspect it's a dodgy wire somewhere so ignoring it, as it sounds/runs fine so just being irritating.

It's not popped on this week though, it is rather annoying as I'd prefer to know why it's doing it but hey, if it wants to play silly buggers then I can do.

I'm sure it seems to happen if we've been on the motorway for a long journey.

So change the oil pressure switch, then join my club if it still does it randomly

Been driving it on motorways and still no explosions so I've been assuming it was just the wiring :/ thanks for the advice, will get the oil pressure switch checked out at some point. Anyone know roughly how much that will cost?

• 2 months later...

Same as the misses car.

We changed oil, oil filter & oil pressure switch. Was fine then went shopping the other day and the light came on and we were like "Whhyyyy, we've changed everything"

We suspect it's a dodgy wire somewhere so ignoring it, as it sounds/runs fine so just being irritating.

It's not popped on this week though, it is rather annoying as I'd prefer to know why it's doing it but hey, if it wants to play silly buggers then I can do.

I'm sure it seems to happen if we've been on the motorway for a long journey.

So change the oil pressure switch, then join my club if it still does it randomly

Same as Mrs Koop's 6n2, except we didn't get as far as changing the pressure switch, she just traded it in for a Golf :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

if you changed oil, etc and switches but it still comes on id install or at-least temporary install a gauge to get accurate readings on oil pressure, (i suppose good diagnostic equipment can give these readingson live data and show if maybe it is genuinely reading low oil pressure) i would also be tempted to drop sump and clean the pickup tube and general sump

don't buy cheap oil pressure switches! I could tell you a long story about how I changed sophie's oil switch 3 times until I got a good on from vw (which cost me £13) the cheap switches burst and oil came up through them (poor crimp I thought). on one occasion a journey of about 7 miles cost sophie most of her oil. those of you who know me will know that sophie is my daughter, not a fanny name I have for my car. geoff

by the way how do you know the oil pressure is ok? I put an oil pressure gauge on sophie's lupo to tell me exactly what it was. geoff

I bought ours from ecp and it still does it. Suppose I could just buy a genuine one from VW.

It's just so darn annoying, because i'm thinking as it's been going on for a few months now, is it was a real problem with oil pressure, sludge, blocked tubes etc then I would notice it, the engine would most likely feel rough or perhaps burning oil, but nada.

if you're worried about sludge either get a cleaning oil to put through your engine (you don't drive your car with it in) or run the car with diesel in for a while, then in both cases dump it out and put in your regular oil but don't forget to change your filter. in both cases it may well clatter a little more than usual but that is to be expected. just remember don't drive your car with the cleaning oil in, just leave it running for a while. oh by the way all of the cheap switches came from euro's, I sent the first one back and they gave me a gallon of oil too because I twisted. I didn't bother with the others, lesson learned I thought. geoff.