leaky auto gearbox 1.4s

briaan65

Morning,

I have been having issues with the oil leaking from my auto gearbox, I had a recent oil change and afterwards i discovered small amounts of oil on my driveway. I took my car to a garage who noted that the gearbox sump was a bit iffy looking so recommended that they replaced it and the oil £200, I thought that would cure the issue, it didn't.

there was a small amount of oil on the driveway, a jet washed the gearbox and underneath the car and left it, a few days later there was no oil, so I thought it was sorted.

i took the car for a run parked it up and left it overnight, in the morning I noticed a small amount of oil on the drive was and when I looked underneath there was a couple of drips coming from the gearbox sump shield. I pulled out the black cap from the filler neck and quite a bit of oil came out.

I popped the cap back in jet washed my drive and the car again. took the car for a drive and on getting back saw that there was a small amount of oil on the the top of the gearbox around the filler neck. I did a bit of googling and discovered that I needed a red outer cap that appeared to lock on place around the black cap, what I thought would now be the source of the leak. I trooped off back to the garage and left the car with them to get the red cap from the dealers and point out that their £200 hadn't been the source of the leak.

I received a call from them the other day stating that there was still oil under the car and that they now suspected a seal in the gearbox, I'm beginning to doubt this.

my theory is that the oil had collected in the sump shield after I took out the black filler cap or even when the garage did to put on the red cap.

Has anyone ever experienced an issue with their auto gearbox leaking and could anyone shed any light on the red cap and what it does.

I would add that the garage is supposed to have a good reputation (which is why i went in the first place) however when I first took the car in for the leak they did not even jet wash off the gear box. If i don't get satisfaction then I am going to name and shame.

I have a 1.4 auto.

When I first got the car I noticed oil on the floor every time I parked up or drove off the drive etc, the started to annoy me.

I pulled the HT leads out of the spark holes and found the rocker cover was leaking oil into the spark plug holes, (2 out of 4 of them was flooded with oil)

so I cleaned the oil out of the holes, binned the old spark plugs, used tigerseal in all the spark plug holes, theres a little lip u can feel in the hole, I covered that lip with tigerseal, let it set, put new spark plugs in and cleaned the HT leads.

No more oil on the floor.

Hope this helps

Edited by tintin360

I have a 1.4 auto.

When I first got the car I noticed oil on the floor every time I parked up or drove off the drive etc, the started to annoy me.

I pulled the HT leads out of the spark holes and found the rocker cover was leaking oil into the spark plug holes, (2 out of 4 of them was flooded with oil)

so I cleaned the oil out of the holes, binned the old spark plugs, used tigerseal in all the spark plug holes, theres a little lip u can feel in the hole, I covered that lip with tigerseal, let it set, put new spark plugs in and cleaned the HT leads.

No more oil on the floor.

Hope this helps

oh this is interesting, the oil on the drive definately looks like gearbox oil, it's brighter than the engine oil. However your theory is interesting, when I get the car back I'll have a look.

thanks

Danoid, thanks for your theory too, again I'll have to investigate.

wont take 2 minutes to check the spark plug wells.

Let us know what you find.

will do, I don't have the car at the minute but when I get it back I'll post again.

Ok people here's an update.

The source of the leak was from the filler neck where it goes into the gearbox and from the black cap itself, the filler is steel, the gearbox house aluminium. There was corrosion which had made the seal perish. When the car was being driven the oil was seeping from the place where they meet.

It's now all sorted.

What I have learned from this too is that the red cap that goes around the top of the filler cap needs to be replaced as when the oil change is done the clip holding it onto the black cap, snaps off.