Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

CLAYTONJONES

6 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Thanks - will check the brakes and discs out - didn't realise euros did Brembo discs

Yeah if you go under the performance section they are there. Also, if you copy the product code and search it on Carparts4less, they are normally cheaper as well👍🏼

On 7/25/2018 at 3:27 PM, CLAYTONJONES said:

Well i’m back from a long weekend at the Nürburgring, if you have never been I highly advise you to go. The most incredible place i’ve ever been, a petrol heads dream! The Lupo performed faultlessly and not a single issue! Oh and the tyre writing didn’t last, a permanent solution is being worked on.

I’ll leave a few pictures below??

grTMii3.jpg

qitDveB.jpg

MgREUGL.jpg

Ddc0Crv.jpg

NNgL1Gx.jpg

DH1yokd.jpg

93iPiGS.jpg

ESXWysO.jpgp

Look of the car and these pics are just great!

• 1 month later...

Finally got the freshly powder costed rear beam back, so i got it all built back up today. Went and had the alignment done, came out spot on. car drives incredible now! Just waiting for the RARB brackets to turn up then that can go back on. 

1GZQzSB.jpg

JnBd07Q.jpg

6uspK6n.jpg

M5nrWWr.jpg

aFRByfI.jpg

SFfxkql.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, LR5V said:

Looking great -

what bushes did you go for? and those discs also look tasty

Cant remember what rear ARB you run - if its a Whiteline the drop links go on the outside of the beam like on mine:

image.png.ac45440b7a9e57b67c05f1a8cea972e5.png

I wish my shocks were more like yours being not so crusty!

I went for OEM. Purely because i don’t want the ride being any stiffer than it is.

Yeah it is a whiteline, glad you posted that as I couldn’t remember haha! 

Front subframe needs to be moved a tiny amount if the caster is out. Right side needs to go forward. No idea how to easily work out by how much. I'd try about 2 mm to start. I s'pose you could measure everything then do the geometry maths.... :)

5 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Front subframe needs to be moved a tiny amount if the caster is out. Right side needs to go forward. No idea how to easily work out by how much. I'd try about 2 mm to start. I s'pose you could measure everything then do the geometry maths.... :)

I didn’t know the castor could be adjusted on these, handy to know for next time👍🏼

Nah, not good enough. You're leaning out at high revs (assuming the probe is fast). 

Also too rich at low revs. My guess is that you need bigger injectors. Or fuel pump. Or both.

You will be able to get at least another 20hp and a decent amount more torque too. Look at the torque plot- best torque when mix was ideal (14.7ish) 3-3500 RPM. Too rich and too lean it drops. May want add a load of timing too. Your plenum is designed for high RPMs so it is clear you need to change the torque plot- almost like there's a fault right now.

8 hours ago, mk2 said:

Nah, not good enough. You're leaning out at high revs (assuming the probe is fast). 

Also too rich at low revs. My guess is that you need bigger injectors. Or fuel pump. Or both.

You will be able to get at least another 20hp and a decent amount more torque too. Look at the torque plot- best torque when mix was ideal (14.7ish) 3-3500 RPM. Too rich and too lean it drops. May want add a load of timing too. Your plenum is designed for high RPMs so it is clear you need to change the torque plot- almost like there's a fault right now.

Definitely no fault, i’m sure all of that will be dealt with when it’s getting mapped.

13 minutes ago, LR5V said:

What rating are Gti injectors? - funny that this crops up now, I had been trying to find out without any luck.

I would be tempted to grab some standard Mk4 Golf1.8t ones they are good for 220bhp, that is if they fit. Got this pump sitting in my ebay wish list Sytec Hi In-Tank Fuel Injection Pump

I’ve heard from several people that the GTI ones are good for 190-200bhp🤷🏼‍♂️

3 hours ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

I’ve heard from several people that the GTI ones are good for 190-200bhp🤷🏼‍♂️

Depends on what engine they are from  - https://18t-tuning.co.uk/fuel-advice/injectors-and-recommendations/ - if I was getting used injectors I would be looking for ARZ, AUM, AUQ type, a lot more common / easier to source.  I am fortunate to have a great fixed price scrap yard not far from me with great prices

How much power are you shooting for?

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

Depends on what engine they are from  - https://18t-tuning.co.uk/fuel-advice/injectors-and-recommendations/ - if I was getting used injectors I would be looking for ARZ, AUM, AUQ type, a lot more common / easier to source.  I am fortunate to have a great fixed price scrap yard not far from me with great prices

How much power are you shooting for?

I’d like to make the 160 mark but who knows! Do you know what yours is running?

Bigger injectors make it more difficult to get a good smooth idle. The pulses need to be much shorter to deliver the same amount of fuel which makes the mixture erratic. So you need to think how much traffic driving you'll be doing.....

19 hours ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

I’d like to make the 160 mark but who knows! Do you know what yours is running?

the PO didn't mention anything about changing them - I think they are standard, just ran out and took this picture, its dark if there is an obvious PN I have missed it!:

alwquq.jpg

11 hours ago, mk2 said:

Bigger injectors make it more difficult to get a good smooth idle. The pulses need to be much shorter to deliver the same amount of fuel which makes the mixture erratic. So you need to think how much traffic driving you'll be doing.....

Yes, but DBW throttle and lambda sensors should keep it reasonably in shape. Slightly related - I was expecting idle to be lumpy with my bigger cams, but there is nothing to suggest its got them at idle, just the same as my Golf.

Yesterday, me and a good friend of mine spent the day fitting the new parts to the Lupo. Port match and gas flowed head, polished inlet manifold and a set of Piper cams. Also had the cam cover and inlet powder coated black, looks much better IMO. I didn’t get as much pictures as i’d of liked but we just wanted to crack on.

Took it for a run to London last night to give the cams some time to bed in. Car drives perfectly! Mapping is on the 21st November with Wayne at ChipWizards.

DgiZh5Z.jpg
f3hoE6q.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update time: 21st November, mapping day. We made the 4 and a half hour journey to Manchester the night before ready for the morning. Drove over there for 9.00am, chatted to Wayne for an hour before putting the car on the dyno. Wayne done some pre-checks and his diagnostic tool flagged up a fault code i hadn’t seen before, “Camshaft position actuator malfunction” - great! Wayne pulled the VVT solenoid out and put some power through, turns out it was working so the problem is else where. Without this working its pointless to attempt mapping, so i made my way home and said i’ll figure it out and come back. So I get home, I had a spare VVT solenoid I thought i’d try, plugged it and took for a drive, an instant different in mid range power! I took it back out to compare them, turns out the holes for the oil were different so they wasn’t matching up to the holes on the head. Who ever sold me the head over a year ago now, we can only assume it was off a different 16v engine that uses a different solenoid, luckily the spare one I had was the one I got sent with the head. So after all that it was a simple fix that cost me nothing, other than a load of fuel wasted. 

I got back in contact with Wayne straight away to let him know the good news, he said he was free Friday. Confirmed it with him and made the early journey back up early Friday.

We got it back on the Dyno, checked everything over and all was good! Wayne set to work, it’s a difficult ECU to map so it took all day, but the results are good! It made 159bhp, around 34bhp over a standard car! The biggest gains were through the midrange, around 3-4k before the map it was making about 80bhp, after the map it now makes 110 at 3-4. The rev limiter has also been raised from 6700 to 7300, thats where all the power is!

Safe to say I am over the moon, I highly recommend anyone to visit Wayne if you are looking to get a map done, the blokes been mapping cars longer than i’ve been alive! He goes above and beyond! 

Just been out for a spirited drive, the car is an absolute weapon now. The extra revs allows me to to save upshifting on certain straight i previously had to! Overall, extremely happy!

i5i8N9K.jpg

JyQO8cP.jpg

hhI4dKH.jpg

Edited by CLAYTONJONES