whats vtec?

VW-LUPO-S

I was wondering what's vtec cause they can squeeze 180bhp out of a type r ek hatch

Yet it takes vw a 1.8t anniversary edition to make them ponys

• Like 1

Vtec is a clever design. Its like having an engine with 2 personalities.

Low rpm you have a bit of torque, smoothness and it's usually good on fuel. Then high end you have bigger more lairy cams so more power up high more power faster revving etc.

If you had big cams only you would have little low end power, rough idle poor drivability. But with vtec you get the best both. The newer vtec engines have airboxs which change at load and rpm.

VTEC (variable lift electronic control) and VVT-I (variable valve timing) are the same thing. They have two camshaft settings and hydraulically choose between the two of them. It was designed to give a car more power at high rpm while still being reasonably economic at low revs.

Used to own an FN2 Civic Type R, and the i-VTEC on the K20 engine really gives it a Dr Jekyll - Mr Hyde type personality. Below 4000rpm, it drives just like any other car (to be honest, it's quite disappointing as it feels more like 120hp, not the advertised 201)...

But get that sucker above 5400rpm, and the more aggressive cam profile comes. The engine changes pitch, it all just gets loud and fast. You get a surge in torque as if a turbo was coming on and it's just... addictive. With the rev limiter only kicking in at 8200rpm, the car simply felt like a race car.

Plus, the FN2 had simply the best manual gearbox I've ever experienced... everyone who's driven the car shared that opinion. It was PHENOMENAL.

Hope this gives you an idea of how these engines drive =)

I am running the polo gti 1.6 vvt in my lupo.. my vvt comes in around 4500 rpm and you definitely feel it. not as aggressive as the type r but you still get the surge of power and noise. shame my gearbox doesn't like the 145bhp going through it

I am running the polo gti 1.6 vvt in my lupo.. my vvt comes in around 4500 rpm and you definitely feel it. not as aggressive as the type r but you still get the surge of power and noise. shame my gearbox doesn't like the 145bhp going through it

Lol. I bet you vvt works at a very low Rpm. Also vvt is very very different to vtec. What your feeling is probably the end of a flat spot hence the kick.

the cars on an omex ecu so the vvt is where I chose it to be ;) and the cars doesn't have any flat spots according to the dyno graphs I have of when me and a friend who has a rolling road where moving the vvt around to see the effects

Why though? Most cars have vvt running from a low rpm to increase torque, power and fuel consumption. Why have it only on so high up? Either way vvt is still something very different to vtec.

seemed to have a nice kick at 4500rpm. plus its very torquey anyway so all it would do at a lower rpm is increase wheel spin. its on its way to being boosted anyway so il be using the 1.4 cylinder head and getting rid off vvt so it hasn't really been something iv been to bothered with