An observation

Skezza

For me its very useful having a how to even for the head light bulbs as its so tight and awkward its handy for people doing this for the first time to see that it can be done at home rather than getting a garage to do it,

Funnily enough Richie, I used the How To by koop to change my headlight bulbs and found it very useful. One of the photos he uploaded helped me secure the bulb properly.

As a point though, I'd have definitely added that loosening off the battery makes it a little easier.

• 7 years later...

Holy thread resurrection time!

Anyone think we should have another go at this? They could go in the how-to section, which is already a valuable resource. List of needed topics?

1. How to change various light bulbs.

2. ?

We did collectively write a superb buyer's guide wiki that was accidentally deleted, which we could do again too. Not that hard for model specific items with common issues too. But the question is how can it preserved- but not as a forum item? We still have the wiki, but I've not tried it since. 

This Lupo forum is actively increasing the the value of Lupos globally, by the info it provides people :)

23 hours ago, mk2 said:

Holy thread resurrection time!

Anyone think we should have another go at this? They could go in the how-to section, which is already a valuable resource. List of needed topics?

1. How to change various light bulbs.

2. ?

We did collectively write a superb buyer's guide wiki that was accidentally deleted, which we could do again too. Not that hard for model specific items with common issues too. But the question is how can it preserved- but not as a forum item? We still have the wiki, but I've not tried it since. 

This Lupo forum is actively increasing the the value of Lupos globally, by the info it provides people :)

I think we need to create a new buyers guide that's for sure. The information on the one we had was invaluable and had the brains of several different people behind it, so to lose it was unfortunate. I spotted that it was referenced on other VW forums the other day (albeit a dead hyperlink) so I tried to recover it via Wayback, but it doesn't appear to have cached the pages correctly https://web.archive.org/web/20180327234857/http://wiki.clublupo.co.uk/Main_Page as you can see :(

We could do a new Buyers Guide as forum posts. This wouldn't be too hard, but it feels a bit of a painful way of doing it. We could do it as threads where the top thread is authored by just one user and then they (or I) can copy the individual posts into some order? Alternatively, we could try and set up a new Wiki? We do have options.

For what it's worth, I am currently about to undertake the 'not-for-the-feint-hearted' How To of Immo and ECU work that I've spent the last few days doing in my evening. It's definitely going to take more than 15 mins though, which is why a Wiki would be really good. I wouldn't usually start a How To by saying "if you aren't sure, don't do it...." but this one, I think I just might. I suppose I can start with a How To WIP Thread, to track what I need to put currently.

Funnily enough, I remember writing that original post. It was about half an hour after I'd changed a headlight bulb on the Lupo and came to the conclusion that if you are a 17 year old kid Lupo owner with no experience, but desperate to learn about cars, you'd actually struggle to change the bulb without some help on a Lupo. It's not as easy as you think it should be. There are actually easier jobs, that you'd expect to be harder.

Well, I'm up for it (buyers guide) so I'm ready to start on the "common issues" and SDI specific stuff... Again.

Maintenance and service stuff how-to, we need a list. 

Probably time to start a new thread.

On the SKC and immobiliser info, I don't know if it'd be wise to make it openly available for obvious reasons. Perhaps getting the info through moderators only may work, but it's not difficult to make copies of info then publish again. I dunno... Our Lupos are still relatively difficult to nick/start/workaround due to lack of info out there. Other dubs are easy. I don't want my Lupos gone. At least not without much £ changing hands.

18 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Well, I'm up for it (buyers guide) so I'm ready to start on the "common issues" and SDI specific stuff... Again.

On the SKC and immobiliser info, I don't know if it'd be wise to make it openly available for obvious reasons. Perhaps getting the info through moderators only may work, but it's not difficult to make copies of info then publish again. I dunno... Our Lupos are still relatively difficult to nick/start/workaround due to lack of info out there. Other dubs are easy. I don't want my Lupos gone. At least not without much £ changing hands.

Ping you privately.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, mk2 said:

On the SKC and immobiliser info, I don't know if it'd be wise to make it openly available for obvious reasons. Perhaps getting the info through moderators only may work, but it's not difficult to make copies of info then publish again. I dunno... Our Lupos are still relatively difficult to nick/start/workaround due to lack of info out there. Other dubs are easy. I found this article helpful with my gyno issue and don't want my Lupos gone. At least not without much £ changing hands.

yes it is very difficult to publish information after making copies. But it is not impossible I think.

Edited by ErnestByers

Just been reading this old thread from  going back to early days. I like the general thoughts behind it. I was just trying to think what I could contribute. My background is body restoration and fabrication so it’s a bit different in need as it seems the mechanical stuff is more in the need to keep these kult Cars alive. 

I've started a private 'log' of things, but it really needs to be a wiki so anyone can add/correct it.

I can think of at least 10 people on here that really, genuinely know a lot of stuff about Lupos. It'd be an excellent guide... better than you could buy.

But how to start? A thread won't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea. I've a bunch of little how-tos with pictures that I never got round to doing just because I thought they'd be obvious to people here. (But they weren't to me at the time...). The passenger headlight bulb is a good exaxmple! 

The buyer's guide is a good shout too. There's different (or just additional) things to be looking for now (rust, subframes etc) than there was perhaps back in 2010-ish

On 12/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, mk2 said:

I've started a private 'log' of things, but it really needs to be a wiki so anyone can add/correct it.

I can think of at least 10 people on here that really, genuinely know a lot of stuff about Lupos. It'd be an excellent guide... better than you could buy.

But how to start? A thread won't work.

Ifs it press cars i already made a thread. I did one for colour concepts, random lupo items (needs a bit of work that one).

I have another thread in mind which i do need to type up at some point (i am aware of a couple of REALLY odd spec lupos whilst doing the press car research in the UK)

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, SophiaMerchant said:

That's a good idea about making new threat about press car research in the UK. 

Have you made it yet or not?

Do not need to remake what i have already started. The thread can be found below.

• 9 months later...