An observation

Skezza

Bloody he'll Koop I switched the third brake light the other week haha, luckily it's fairly easy. I'll write a tutorial. Changing the bulbs is quite hard in them though but I have a spare I'm going practice on

Bloody he'll Koop I switched the third brake light the other week haha, luckily it's fairly easy. I'll write a tutorial. Changing the bulbs is quite hard in them though but I have a spare I'm going practice on

Was I right?!?!?

Was I right?!?!?

Yeah close enough. There's a little cover that covers the screws. You undo them, and then basically lever it out with a screw driver wrapped in a thin cloth. There's a small plug that you unplug, then you need to be careful because the socket can fall back into the cavity and it's a right arse to get out (usually a straightened out coat hanger job) so perhaps hold it on the chassis with a piece of electrical tape while you grab the replacement 3rd brake light. Anyway, I'll make a tutorial tomorrow hopefully with photos.

The reason why changing the bulbs in the 3rd brake light looks a bugger is that from what I can tell VW have made every effort to make it a sealed unit. It's not, as you can imagine and I reckon with a screwdriver and some effort it'll come apart but they've put a lot of clips on and I can't tell if it's sealed.

Edited by Skezza

Couldn't do my third brake light write up due to the heavy rain all weekend, grr. If it stops I'll get it done tonight. Writing another one as we speak though :) also need to write the RCL one too.

I have a spoiler which may make life more difficult. We'll see :lol:

For some reason your photos in your build thread won't load for me!! Grr. If it's just a small one then no, it shouldn't. Like you said, we'll see :D

Grr indeed, I have trouble sometimes, I should go through & check the links at some point. It's the sport spoiler so it's the standard brake light unit just out at an angle, might be able to reach it through the hole in the boot.

• 2 weeks later...

For god sake, please have a general chat area. I've just done a 5th gear feature, which included my Lupo and I want to put up all the pics, but there is nowhere on this forum...very frustrating indeed.

For god sake, please have a general chat area. I've just done a 5th gear feature, which included my Lupo and I want to put up all the pics, but there is nowhere on this forum...very frustrating indeed.

Like this you mean? http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/forum/1-drivers-lounge/

Or there's...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/forum/8-volkswagen-lupo/

..or...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/forum/17-members-cars/

Edited by Koop
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

i did one once as a basic air ride layout... to help people... its lost in space and nobody really cared for it... i wont be going out of my way to do another... if someone asks me directly then i will help them... i often get PM's asking how things are done and if i know i will happily give some input.

i think its better if people ask how they do a particular task.. or your going to have a page full of pointless threads! if you go as basic as a headlight bulb you will be telling people how to remove wheels etc... you need to draw a line.

Perhaps a better idea is to have a section called "ask how to..." and people ask how to do a task and they get instructions from there maybe from those who know how to do it.

• Like 1

i did one once as a basic air ride layout... to help people... its lost in space and nobody really cared for it... i wont be going out of my way to do another... if someone asks me directly then i will help them... i often get PM's asking how things are done and if i know i will happily give some input.

i think its better if people ask how they do a particular task.. or your going to have a page full of pointless threads! if you go as basic as a headlight bulb you will be telling people how to remove wheels etc... you need to draw a line.

Perhaps a better idea is to have a section called "ask how to..." and people ask how to do a task and they get instructions from there maybe from those who know how to do it.

I couldn't disagree more Piers. The line, is probably how to change a wheel. Anything beyond that can be considered worthy of a write up... including how to change a headlight bulb. OK, there should be an element of common sense involved here, but when you consider other cars have forums with detailed write ups of almost every task, it makes me wonder why the same doesn't exist for the Lupo.

Also asking for 'How To's' doesn't really work, because certain tasks are better accompanied by photos. If you can do the task, take the photos, provide the tutorial, then you will ultimately help other people. An abstract explanation with a bit of text might not be enough. Piers, if your tutorial thread is still on Club Lupo I'm sure Ray would put it in the How to section.

• Like 1

Good stuff pete :) glad it came in handy

im not looking to get my small thread put on the top of any page, thats not my point and thats not why i did it... what im suggesting is that the content is in such a large quantity! it wont take long for "how to change a bulb" to get lost in 20+ pages of random "how to" threads... how to remove your door cards, how to change your seats, how to change your steering wheel, how to change the wiper relay, how to change your battery, how to change an indicator, how to change a headlight, how to change your badge, how to remove your badge... do you get where im going with this? thats just a small list of random how to's that your going to fill in one section.

i agree that for certain tasks its not a bad idea, like changing brake pads etc but to be fair... if your that unsure on how to change a bulb perhaps you shouldnt be trying in the first place without supervision.

your digging a big hole for an idiots guide, it will be page after page of information that nobody will actually use. There would be so much information the search function would be required and i think we can all agree that nobody uses the search for anything! hence the amount of times people have asked if they can fit Gti bumpers to a non Gti...

if people ask how to do something and someone does have pictures from when they did it they can provide them... i have loads of random pictures from when iv changed things on mine that iv not put on any forums... but if someone needed them id show them... im not going to do a how to for every single small job.

plus, your going to have loads of different versions unless one person does them all... which i dont think anyone wants to spend the next few months doing.

Just my input.

• Like 1

If there's a guide, every time someone asks about it we can post the link. Then if people do use the search, they'll find all the threads pointing to the guide. The way most questions about coilies get directed to the definitive coilover thread. N'est pas?

Edited by Koop

Good stuff pete :) glad it came in handy

im not looking to get my small thread put on the top of any page, thats not my point and thats not why i did it... what im suggesting is that the content is in such a large quantity! it wont take long for "how to change a bulb" to get lost in 20+ pages of random "how to" threads... how to remove your door cards, how to change your seats, how to change your steering wheel, how to change the wiper relay, how to change your battery, how to change an indicator, how to change a headlight, how to change your badge, how to remove your badge... do you get where im going with this? thats just a small list of random how to's that your going to fill in one section.

i agree that for certain tasks its not a bad idea, like changing brake pads etc but to be fair... if your that unsure on how to change a bulb perhaps you shouldnt be trying in the first place without supervision.

your digging a big hole for an idiots guide, it will be page after page of information that nobody will actually use. There would be so much information the search function would be required and i think we can all agree that nobody uses the search for anything! hence the amount of times people have asked if they can fit Gti bumpers to a non Gti...

if people ask how to do something and someone does have pictures from when they did it they can provide them... i have loads of random pictures from when iv changed things on mine that iv not put on any forums... but if someone needed them id show them... im not going to do a how to for every single small job.

plus, your going to have loads of different versions unless one person does them all... which i dont think anyone wants to spend the next few months doing.

Just my input.

From the ones you've listed there, the only one probably not worthy of a write up is how to remove the door cards, but even that might be worthy. You surely don't consider changing seats a trivial task! Changing the battery safely is also an important job. Changing bulbs in the rear cluster has already been done, but again, if you mean the front indicator it's probably worthy.

But also Piers, if the thread is correctly titled, it will be found on Google and come up when a search is made. Most people use Google for their searching rather than Club Lupo. I wrote a very detailed thread on how to fit aftermarket remote central locking right?

https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=off&biw=1366&bih=624&sclient=psy-ab&q=Lupo+aftermarket+remote+central+locking&oq=Lupo+aftermarket+remote+central+locking&gs_l=hp.3...35840.39392.3.39454.39.16.0.0.0.0.1639.7421.2-1j1j0j3j1j2j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.EQe--asNn9o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.d2k&fp=b708dfac7b585b5e

If you now search lupo aftermarket remote central locking (something I did when I first considered fitting it) you will now find my thread at the top. For the moderate Lupo owner, that will be enough detail to help them successfully fit it.

Piers, doing the How To's takes time, so nobody expects you to do them for every little job going. However, if you feel the job is relevant then you should definitely consider it. Changing a headlight bulb on a Lupo isn't as easy as other jobs, as such, it warranted a How To.

Why would you end up with loads of guides? Currently, we have so few guides that even the most obvious (yet potentially difficult) of tasks haven't been covered. If we can't get guides to begin with, I doubt this thread is going to inspired hundreds, however it might just push one or two more into chucking a quick guide together. I'm writing one at the moment for ghetto fixing your checkstraps. I will eventually write one for changing the Brake Light Switch... I will eventually write another for the High Level Brake Light. They might seem trivial, but they are useful. Perhaps we could rename the threads to organize them a bit better, or introduce categories

Bodywork

Mechanical

Electrical

Interior & Styling

Lighting

Aftermarket Mods

... or something to that degree.

Would that be more useful?

Edited by Skezza

On Other forums they have a crap ton of diys from simple how to change an air filter or bulb to how to rebuild an engine and everything inbetween.

I personally would have more guides than less as one the info is on and secondly alot of people are young on here or it's their first car. Helping them with simple tasks will give them confidence to do harder stuff. That's how I started but I knew nothing when I started and diys are helpful.

• Like 1

i agree with what your saying, more how to's are required... but if you start doing them for how to change a headlight bulb you might aswell show someone how to press the unlock button on their key!

its not a good idea to encourage people to try and fix cars if they dont know the basics like changing a bulb.... cars have to pass an MOT at the end of the day...

putting them into sections wouldnt be a bad idea, but again back to my point. It should only be for jobs that justify a how to. the brake light is a good idea and the others you listed but not basic tasks.

Its an admin decision at the end of the day but if someone does a how to and enough people agree its good and ask for it to go into the how to section then it should go in.

They're all useful to somebody at some time. :yes: