`Turbo-wanna`-B

Blackrat

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have I got this right? The turbo's now plumbed into the exhaust manifold, and the opening at the top pointing back is where the compressed air comes out of the compressor?

So presumably you plumb the cold air feed into the input side of the compressor, then the output side of the compressor into the throttle body?

And what happens to the exhaust gases once they exit the turbo?

they exhaust as normal the easier the better thats why you get a much better result with an aftermarket exhsut on a turbo car! you also have a wastegate on the exhaust side which is a valve which bypasses the turbo and opens when the boost pressure is too high which could mean the turbo may be spinning too fast at higher revs, allowing the turbo to slow down until the necessary lower boost pressure is achieved and the valve closes. helps prevent lag on smaller turbos!

FYI a decent starter guide to how the oily bits work, you might find the one on tubro's interesting smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

http://www.aberdeencruiser.com/modules.php...=viewforum&f=35

I did my final year uni project on turbocharger design. It's all very interesting! NOT!!

anyhoo looks ace blackrat 8) , you putting the intercooler above the engine or dropping it at the bottom in front of the radiator(is there room?)

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> yeah, looks good blackrat, nice to see someone doing something a bit different. Any idea what sort of figures you are expecting once you get it all tuned up?

another pic, sorry for the quality, taken at night in the garage with a ****ty light

as for when its gonna be finished, hmmmm a long long time still

MVC00265.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />MVC00265a.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

erm .. red exhaust gas inlet and outlet

blue compressed air inlet and outlet (kinda)

purple water cooling connections

green oil feed

between the compressor side and throttle body an intercooler or charge cooler will be installed to cool the intake charge (what im busy with now)

Apo;ogies if this has already been asked but how are managing things on the engine management side of things with this conversion?

Chris

im using a programmable fuel injection, standalone, to controll another four injectors.

a few pics of the new intake manifold, Thanks to Karl on the polo forums MVC00312.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

MVC00315.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

a few pics before it was hacked IMG_1723.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1724.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1725.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Awesome! I've only just noticed all this bit about the turbo. You've done a great job with the manifold. I saw a turbo conversion on a 1.4 and it looked really messy! Yours looks dead professional smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Have you designed and built the whole system yourself? If so.....I take my hat off to you. I have a lot of respect!

Are you going to run a separate cooling system for the turbo? Will there be any probs with heat soak into the head with it being so close? I can't wait to see what power you get at the end of it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

with the turbo being in front its gonna be alot cooler than turbo'ing the old style 16v or 20v as the turbo sits in the back, so as far as heat soak , i dont see it being a problem at all, i might do a stainless steel cover for the exhaust housing, but will see when i get to that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

as for power , i am aiming for `180-200` to start with, running standard compression, 11.5:1 wich is HIGH for a turbo motor, but in the future when the engine is finished i will stick a set of forged pistons and conrods in

on a 'nother note , have i got a suprise for you guys, you just gonna have to wait for it, im SOOOO chuffed smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />