How do you smooth rear lights

AlexFox

Sand the bits down.

Use progressively finer grades.

Use a polish to get a shiny finish.

You don't need a machine, it'll be quicker but, you're never going to burn/melt the plastic by hand and if you don't know your way around a machine it is a possibility.

Same process used for making any thing smooth really.

Start with a rough one, to sand them flat and then work up to the finest you can find.

2000 grit wet and dry seems to work for me.

Any car polish will work, if you've got something like paint renovator, use that first, as it's not as fine as polish.

Use the car polish last.

Can this cause an MOT fail, because the spread of light won't be as great as when they are frosted?

What ? He's removing the markings from the making process and some small numbers ? How would it cause a failure

What ? He's removing the markings from the making process and some small numbers ? How would it cause a failure

I assumed he was smoothing off the frosting from the inside, which would make them transparent as opposed to translucent. I believe this is possible by smoothing off the inside which is rough, thus creating the effect that the light from the bulb is coming straight through. The reason I asked if it was an MOT fail is because as of about 2 years ago, any modification that significantly reduces light emitted from a headlight or rear light can be deemed unsafe and as such an MOT fail. The reason it's frosted is to allow the light to spread, allowing a much wider visibility.

Just a question ;)

what he is referring to (i believe) are the manufacturers markings etc which are raised off the outer lense surface. he wants to smooth them out/remove them. a mod I've seen quite a few times. your 'average' mot inspector would never think of checking these or would probably never notice. on a legality point. i would say it to be illegal as you would be removing the E markings etc. but hey, what 'normo' would ever notice!

i want to do this to mine soon!

I assumed he was smoothing off the frosting from the inside, which would make them transparent as opposed to translucent. I believe this is possible by smoothing off the inside which is rough, thus creating the effect that the light from the bulb is coming straight through. The reason I asked if it was an MOT fail is because as of about 2 years ago, any modification that significantly reduces light emitted from a headlight or rear light can be deemed unsafe and as such an MOT fail. The reason it's frosted is to allow the light to spread, allowing a much wider visibility.

Just a question ;)

Didn't realise what you meant dude! I knew what the post owner was on about . Not heard about what you said being done before