So it begins - Boot build

Ah thanks for that, interesting, still can't think it looks random though, why 25% odd indeed.

I have a wee question for you. You know the back of the rear seats it's metal. I'd like to put some fabric over them to make it look better and stop things smashing into it.

I saw you bought some fabric, is that a good match to the boot carpet color? If so, where id you buy it from?

The fabric i bought was leather vinyl and headlining, neither of these would be a match for the boot carpet, i did however cover my first box with some fabric from caraudiodirect, this was the same sort of material that would match but the wrong color, for me it didn't matter though because there was no boot carpet to match to :P

• 3 weeks later...

Up dates have been scarse since i've been sorting stuff out with the new one however...

9228361587_1935f5f790_b.jpg

9228360421_be00fc0ea4_b.jpg

I got around to fitting my new interior :D MUCH better than the old one, as a comparison this is the old drivers seat:

9231141962_b44cf6f193_b.jpg

I can definitely say this was a much needed upgrade :P

Also got round to trimming my headlining, a bit annoyed that i put a kink in the old one from mounting the amp on the roof and you can still see it but nowt goes to plan, ill probably end up getting a new one and trimming that some time :P

When trimming the headlining, DO NOT REMOVE THE OLD MATERIAL. I found this out the hard way with a spare headliner, it will lose all rigidity and not be able to be trimmed.

I'll put up a how to when i retrim the new cars headliner.

This is the result:

9228363787_06be2d505f_b.jpg

I went for an OEM look so the material is the same foam backed stuff you would find in Audi's :D

BOOM Have a link :D

Brilliant stuff this, did my C pillar trims in it as well and it looks top notch.

Planning on doing a detailed how to sometime soon, possibly this saturday and i'll include all the links for materials i used.

I HAVE MUSIC!!

After countless months of driving round listening to the drone of my blown exhaust i finally have my components fitted.

The sound quality is phenomenal, i've always had un amped coaxials in the past and i can safely say ill NEVER be going back.

I had to make rings to fit the woofers but it would be just my luck that 1 ring is too shallow and 2 was too deep so once the two were bonded i split the bottom one in half, once that was sanded flat i cured the rings in resin. Curing the rings in resin is an essential step for the way i was doing it as it allows you to screw into the rings with a much less chance of them splitting.

9324214151_043e213d0f_b.jpg

To screw the ring into the door i used the holes that i drilled the rivets out of for ease. I countersunk the mounting screws so that they wouldn't foul on the speaker and it could sit flush on the ring. For ease i used a washer, spring washer and wing nut - just saves faffing around with a spanner in the back of the door.

9327010510_52d8cdf5fc_b.jpg

To mount the speakers i used threaded inserts so i can safely remove them countless times without damage to the ring. The threaded inserts have a habit of splitting the rings so i clamped around the hole while i was screwing them in for extra security.

9327011694_526d9a6486_b.jpg

9324217411_8187321370_b.jpg

They slipped in a treat :D

9327014490_e85c542570_b.jpg

The rear of the door card where the grill is had to be chopped flush to fit the new speakers. The crossovers are held in place with 3M Dual lock which is like velcro, just much stronger.

9327015556_cc3fc2ea55_b.jpg

Crossovers all wired, all that was left was to plug the amp in the boot in - no pictures of that because its just more wiring, wouldn't want to bore you with pictures upon pictures of wire.

The tweeters were mounted in the original pods under the dash, i had to cut the old speaker mount out and hot glue the new pod in place, forgot to get a picture of that but i will at some point.

Little update:

Had a lupo centre console lying around for aaages so i finally got around to modifying it to fit my Mk. I removed the old cigarette lighter from the lupo console and fitted a volt meter while i was at it, pretty chuffed with it if i dont say so myself :D

Pictures to follow - haven't got any just yet as i thought i deserved a cold one at the pub after a hard days work ;)

Pictures as promised:

9340067869_e6c0b491e9_b.jpg

9340066613_13ca5c515e_b.jpg

9340069317_df84d0b78d_b.jpg

Not the best cuts but they could be much worse :P

9340072609_c2490ac28f_b.jpg

9342857752_1b94e02ac7_b.jpg

9342938028_170b27feb9_b.jpg

9340150209_27baa65523_b.jpg

I think the centre console looks heaps better than the original one, even if it is missing buttons. Ordered a button tray though so i should have that hole patched next week, got some sneaky plans for that as well but that'll just have to wait - see if my idea works ;)

9340070483_3d02573fa8_b.jpg

Still need to get the kick panels on - got lupo ones though so they dont fit with the dashboard :/ dont know to weather to wait and see if some fabled arosa ones come up for sale or get the dremel out and hack the lupo ones up :P

9348564981_1382d61906_b.jpg

9348566119_0594e512ca_b.jpg

9351348316_875c974f20_b.jpg

Stack of new Falken ZE914's - The ones that are on at the mo are balding pretty badly :P

Hopefully getting some powerflex bushes from nfbr soonish so my geometry should be spot on, after getting my whiteline rear ARB fitted im now on the quest for handling perfection :P The ARB is such a good upgrade - one of the best i've done, i would recommend 1000%

i've never seen either of these around im im from newcastle but now live in morpeth!

Got couple lupos and plenty of bits if you need anything :)

Also been desperate for a rear arb :(

You wont have seen the black one, still not running. Lol. Getting the re-remanufactured ECU in the post tomorrow so fingers crossed :unsure: my luck isn't the greatest so im not getting my hopes up.

Ahh brilliant, always in need of bits, my (mams) dining room is like a garage at the moment, loads of boxes and parts lying around :sweating:

The rear ARB is definitely worth looking into, makes the car a lot more comfortable going around roundabouts and driving at 'normal' speeds as well.

Hack up the lupo ones.

also get a lupo knob :shades:

how come no Lupo dash?

the dash is my least favorite part of 6N's/ mk1 rosa's

Well thats another item on the ever increasing to do list :P

I probably would have had a lupo dash if i was breaking one, unfortunately i havent got a large garden, drive or garage so i cant :( i was wanting a one at one point so i could have a double din but i just cant part with my glove box :wub:

I was wanting to convert the front end to a Mk2 - would have done the dash as well because i would have had to break one weather the neighbours and parents like it or not. Since i got the black one i dont see the point, i always had a soft spot for the Mk1's and its nice to have a bit of variety with a Mk1 and a Mk2 :D

i've never seen either of these around im im from newcastle but now live in morpeth!

Got couple lupos and plenty of bits if you need anything :)

Also been desperate for a rear arb :(

Also, what you driving around so i can keep my eyes peeled :P

Immobiliser coded into black. Finally some progress. Rear lambda sensor on order too so that will be fitted 3-4 o'clock depending on when Morpeth Motaparts get it in but i have doubts it will run correctly, may have to book it into arnold clark again - see if they can get some answers

She drove all the way to Scotswood road without any major problems - thats got to be a good sign.. fingers crossed :sweating: 19 miles and the only issue is a P1542 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Implausible Signal error code.

It's stopping the throttle valve opening fully, it only opens about 30-40% which meant even if i stick my foot to the floor, it wont redline. Managed to get up to and sustain 70mph though.

Should be starting on the sub box for silver this afternoon if the weather makes its mind up on what season it wants to be.

AT LONG LAST THE BOX BUILD HAS STARTED!

9372924870_7f69e0be67_b.jpg

The center brace will be hollowed out so as to not interfere with the air flow.

9370150471_7a7d8df5c0_b.jpg

9370151763_5de2464df6_b.jpg

Lots and lots of steel brackets will be holding the box together, hopefully this will be strong enough. This may change when the subs are in depending how rigid it is.

I've relocated the ground to the spare wheel post, i sanded the paint and fiberglass off to the bare metal then plated over it with a large repair washer.

9372930370_8a15dafc92_b.jpg

9370152611_2f5257ded9_b.jpg

9370154369_bbba2cb0d2_b.jpg

All the wiring has been re routed to exit at the center so as to not obstruct the back of the box.

9372932268_41c15210f5_b.jpg

The brackets are being held together with M8 tee nuts, these should be enough to secure everything down.

I still have fiberglassing, sanding and painting to do but the box is the priority while im off work.

This is gonna get loud! I've decided to go with 2 JBL 10's. I plan on having the port as a hole in the parcel shelf (MDF of course) What do you reckon? :)

Have you considered having 10's sealed, the sound quality will be better but it might not go as loud. Also makes the build a heck of a lot easier.

That might be where im having my ports ;)

Epic build!

Do you have any more pics for the installing of tweeters.

Ill go get some pictures when im next in the car :thumbsup:

• Like 1