Spray adhesive

Glue thinner

(not pictured)

High viscosity black hot melt glue sticks

Other bits and bobs for trimming - forgot what i bought already

Team Heko wind deflectors

Edited by Trx 33

8873261432_070b52b5a3_o.jpg

Footwells mostly done, notice the beige/brown wax stuff everywhere.. not the most fun to remove. Only removed the excess as it is sealant - stops the water getting in.

Also decided i didn't like loads of runs of speaker wire from the HU to the boot so i got a 4ch RCA, exactly the same as my 2ch but 6m long. MUCH tidier. Ripped out all of the wiring i had just placed and routed the RCA into the boot ready for when i eventually get the amp(s) in, along with that i recycled the wire i ripped out and ran speaker wire to the rear speaker cut outs for when i eventually get something in there and to the front doors, all tied labelled and loomed in to the car now.

8703317702_c8cc953e46_b.jpg

8702196363_12410e10a6_b.jpg

In/outputs, all on the drivers side - power on the passenger.

8702195969_25bdd37eb8_b.jpg

8702196201_cbb8a32512_b.jpg

Speaker wire ran across to the passenger rear speaker cut outs

8703318796_89d1658c48_b.jpg

8702196509_942ff72927_b.jpg

8702196671_1baf22f448_b.jpg

8873269910_ed441f4dc2_o.jpg

Speaker wire for the passenger door coming from the boot was split alongside the OEM loom on the drivers side, it arches over the handbreak base as the OEM loom does but i've ran it alongside the tunnel so it dosent cross the power wires on the far side.

8872661667_3780ddd841_o.jpg

Goes up and around the heater matrix.

8872664017_019c958721_o.jpg

The state of the inside of the doors, driver one is cleaned out and deadened but havent got to the passenger side. NIGHTMARE to remove because it is so tight in there.

Edited by Trx 33

Ooohh, almost forgot

8872665743_ede7c3869a_o.jpg

RIVNUTSSSSS

8872669861_8d2c01a3d8_o.jpg

8873279988_779629252e_o.jpg

Should have a solid base to secure the MDF floor onto, just need to get the rest of the deadening done now, thinking i might just do the boot down to the rear seat bases for now so i can get a start with the fiberglass - knowing my luck i wont have enough and need to buy more.

Edited by Trx 33

Naah :P Focals are going in the doors/dash.

8873284956_ebf386b3f8_o.jpg

Got the foam down on the boot floor

8872673565_ee312837e3_o.jpg

8873282878_d292181ecc_o.jpg

And the vinyl

8872672011_8dc4470e0c_o.jpg

Must say, just the boot floor being done has made a noticeable difference - much less sound coming from the rear.. still loads left to do so should be interesting how quiet i can get it :P

Edited by Trx 33

Lazy weekend so, yet again, not much done. MDF floor for the boot cut, ready to bolt on and test fit though, next on the list is fiberglass.

Right, little update.. Bit late because i thought i already posted it.. turns out it was a dream. DAMN SHIFT WORK! *shakes fist

8872678433_18bb90c9c8_o.jpg

Hole cut through the base board, just needs fiberglass next then i can focus on getting the front pieced together.

I cut the hole by, firstly, using a hole saw to get a big enough hole to fit my hand through. This did not work as the hole saw wasn't big enough for my meat fists.. out comes the jigsaw. Used the jigsaw to open up the hole so i could get my hand in and pencil around where the boot well mated with the board from underneath, then i added some thickness to the markings on the front and rear so i had something to fix the top half on to. The cut was made and it came out surprisingly well first time, just a couple of alterations and it was perfect.

8873293528_1200578c84_o.jpg

From behind.

Once the hole was cut it was time to measure up for the bolt holes. This was the hardest part by far, ill not go into how i did it, it was just logic really so any chimp with a brain could do it if they thought hard enough :P

Drilled all the holes initially and only a couple lined up perfectly so it was a case of simply widening the holes with a bigger drill bit and wiggling it around a bit. Got it fitted and i must say, my god is this solid. M8 Rivnuts are the boyos. This ain't budging anytime soon.

More to come soon..ish

Edited by Trx 33

Your going all out on this!

You build thread is awesome. Can't wait for you to do the front speaker installation and amping as I can use your thread as a guide! :thumbup:

Was also looking at rivnuts. Is the cheap £12 tool ok to fit rivnuts?

It should be, i cant speak from experience though, apparently the handles bend quite easily from what i've read. If you want to set larger rivnuts or harder ones like steel i would advise using a home made tool. I think the conventional hand setters only go up to around M6-7 aluminium so you will definitely need something more substantial if you'll be setting bigger/harder nuts. I considered buying a professional setting tool that would set up to M10 stainless steel nuts (http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=124019&cat=2258004632) but i couldn't justify spending £90 on a tool i would only use a handfull of times. To pull rivnuts cheaply, i used this method http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/pulling_rivnuts.htm.

I used zinc plated steel M8 rivnuts and they set perfectly :D Although if i was to do it again i would use a much stronger bolt. I just used bolts from around the house and when the nuts pulled they bent the bolts rendering them scrap, i would advise getting the hardest nuts and bolts you can.

I would say either M4 or M5 would be best for the doors, ive got a bag of M4's but im still mulling over if i should use something else. Yet to use them for any other application so i cant say what they are like, but for my boot they are unrivalled, definitely the best for that job.

Liking the passion that's going into this, it's inspiring me for mine when i get round to it can't wait to see it finished :)

Fiberglass has began, no pictures yet but dont worry, there will be in time :P

Currently coated the base board in resin, peeled all 4 upper door cards and coated in resin and fiberglassed the boot well and 4ch amp posts.

Need to do a couple more layers on the cards and base board and also go over the glass with a sander/buzz tool/something to knock it back for another layer.

Plan is to get it primed and painted matte black so there are no chances of seeing nasty uncovered bits and bobs through the ports.

Forgot to get some pictures of the glass.. but in other news i hacked a lump out of my heater ducting.

With the amount of phat RCAs ive got hanging out of the back of the radio it didn't quite fit into the slot.. the solution, cut out a lump from the heater ducting behind where the RCAs stick out.

8873297158_72d9e9f68a_o.jpg

Plastic welded a small food container in place so that there are no air leaks then to make sure i went over with some hot glue. Fairly solid, chuffed with this seeing as i've never plastic welded before.

8872684165_4d6826a2af_o.jpg

Not exactly pretty.. or conventional :P but it works, Radio fits nice and snug now and there are no air leaks :D

Edited by Trx 33

Not much to report. Keeping both cars though, going to finish this build/car and also start another in the new one. Not a big build, just a sensible one to get some lows on the inside.. plenty on the outside :P

Main focus is getting her running first. Bought a copy of vag com to try and align the throttle body with no luck.

Just towed her up to the garage to try and get sorted, should have word on that within the next few days.. nasty feeling the ECU has gone senile :/ That'll be an expensive one, on top of the £1005 insurance i've just forked out for her my pockets are feeling uncomfortably light..

Made a start on the door speakers on silver though, was going to have them on show but the door card is angled in such a way that it would be a lot of work for not much gain.. things could change though because things are never set in stone whenever i attempt to plan something :P

In the mean time though ill give you a couple of snaps of the new motor:

8999288032_20884031f3_o.jpg

Spent 11 hours washing sealing and waxing both cars on friday. Acquired some nice red shoulders in the heat also.. yay.

8999288978_d385924e70_o.jpg

8999290958_ae1edc665a_o.jpg

8999292220_58277cdd67_o.jpg

Shiny.

On another note, last friday morning when i just finished shift i walked out the doors to be greeted by this monster:

8998106025_9c76c26468_o.jpg

Not every day one of these bad boys rocks up at work :P

Progress is pretty much stopped for now, need to save a bit of cash for an ECU for the new one.. sigh.

Although since i have stopped procrastinating over the sound system i've been able to get a couple of bits and bobs on that i've been meaning to. Just fitted my Whiteline rear ARB, yet to test it so i cant report on how it performs. While her arse was up on ramps i fitted a new fuel filter and replaced the exhaust mid section as i was slowly going deaf and getting some rather funny looks going down the street. Found another hole by the flexi on the manifold though.. Fix one another one pops up. Typical.

Got an oil, oil filter, brake fluid and coolant change left. Need to order a new pair of air filters for silver, pair of cabin filters and a service for black.