Just bought a 1.7 SDI

davie18

I had a 1.0 '98 saxo, but it had rusted so much it was time for it to be sent to car heaven, so I have went and picked up this for my second car:

u4CSlt6.jpg

It's got 140k or so miles, and needs the bottom arms changing, but I picked it up for £250 so it still seems like a good buy.

A few problems on it though:

- the interior light turns on, but when I have it on the middle setting, it doesn't turn on when I open the door, so the only way I can ever have it on is by manually turning it on myself.

- The central locking doesn't seem to work. Just the driver's door opens, the passenger and the boot stay locked. Also it didn't come with a button on the key, can you get these for them?

- The passenger side window doesn't open using the button on the driver's side, but I'm guessing that's nothing more than a faulty button.

- Also, this isn't really a fault but the speakers currently in it stop the windows from going all the way down. Ideally, I'd like to put smaller speakers in that are still good quality so I can put the windows all the way down. So what are some good speakers I could get for it that you know don't block the window when you fit them?

If anyone can help with any of these at all then cheers :)

What MPG have you guys been getting on them btw? I've read some people claiming they can get over 70, which I'd be very happy with as I was only getting 40-50 max on my saxo.

Apart from the knocking sound being caused by the bottoms arms it seems to drive very well though so hopefully it'll turn out to be a good car!

Welcome :) looks a clean example bar your issues. Regarding you window, hopefully it will be as simple as a new switch, have you tried swapping switches? If that doesn't solve it then your runners maybe seized or you may even need a new regulator. And regarding your speakers, it seems the previous owned didn't take the time to fit adapters. Get some adapters and that should clear your window. I'm sure others will be along to help with your other issues.

Interior Light maybe door switch,

Don't think this came with remote central locking just central locking the only button on the key would be for a light.

Might sound daft but Can you open doors via passanger side?

Spacers for speakers as said will push them out enough for your windows

Interior Light maybe door switch,

Don't think this came with remote central locking just central locking the only button on the key would be for a light.

Might sound daft but Can you open doors via passanger side?

Spacers for speakers as said will push them out enough for your windows

No I can't even seem to get the passenger door itself open from the passenger side - the only way I open it currently is by opening it from the inside.

I take it your key fits the boot? When you try the passanger side does the cl mechanism sound but doesn't unlock? Or does it unlock and lock quickly? Or nothing at all

may have had a lock barrel change, but more likely to be a mech prob

Great buy for £250. Absolute steal, even with the problems. The central locking sounds like faulty microswitches. If you're handy, whip the mech off and take it apart. If not, buy 2 new mechs and I'm pretty sure you'll be sorted. Only thing you need to consider, the convenience module CAN go on VW's but it's very rare. Maybe 1% of cases.

loepan, on 27 Mar 2013 - 12:10, said:

I take it your key fits the boot? When you try the passanger side does the cl mechanism sound but doesn't unlock? Or does it unlock and lock quickly? Or nothing at all

may have had a lock barrel change, but more likely to be a mech prob

Actually sorry I can open the passenger door, but it's just the central locking doesn't work at all. And yes I can open the boot but when I do that doesn't open any other doors also.

And when I press the central locking button, all it does it lock the driver's door.

Also, another thing, my sound is only coming out of the tweeters, does this look right?

8jPc1yb.jpg

Also, for the central locking, I took off the plug for the central locking motor in the boot and put a multi meter on it to test it and there was current getting to the wire when I was pressing the central locking button, so does this just mean the motor is broken??

Edited by davie18

Hmm I think I might just get new speakers because the ones currently in have a dodgy connection which might be causing the sound issues.

Can anyone recommend some cheapish speakers for them? I don't want terrible sound quality but I don't have much money to spend either.