Lupo 3L - importing & taxing

rick briddon

Were all failed registration applications for CO2-based VED made with a certificate of conformity showing CO2 data?

If so, I have a letter from the DVLA which proves that you should have been granted CO2-based VED. There might have been the assumption made that CO2 data was not available for cars registered anywhere before March 2001 because the provision of this data only became mandatory then. Fortunately, VW were well ahead of the game.

RAB

Edited by RAB
  • Like 2

Bad news I'm afraid. It seems that there was a change in the legislation in 2010, such that 'For vehicles first registered in the UK on or after 1 April 2010 but previously registered abroad, VED will be calculated according to the original date of registration abroad.' So if you have an import first registered abroad before 1st March 2001, you wont get CO2-based VED. It seems to me that this was kept very quiet - a recent letter from the DVLA on this matter didn't even mention it! At least the date is very appropriate!

RAB

Edited by RAB
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry just done some reseRch and established its a 1.2TDi.

What's the difference between the 1.2TDi and the 1.4TDi / the -1.7 SDi?

Whh wasn't the 1.2TDi sold in the UK from new?

Ry_b, have a look here and understand all the differences between a standard Lupo and the 3L.. its pretty unbelievable really! http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_218.pdf

Hello all

I have this in classified now as new job forces sale....

Hope im OK putting this here...

:yes:

Sold to Stu

Hope it serves you well

Rick thank you for taking your time to put together this informative guide, I have just imported a 3L and went for a 2003 based on your advice... I am about to send off the registration document today and will let you know how I get on!

Cheers

Matt

Edited by downlowmatt

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

Some good information on the taxing and importation. I am currently in the market for a nice clean 3L with Cruise control, sunroof , (Park assist - Joking) so the information on this thread is beneficial. Looks like I will be making some trips across the water to view/purchase the ideal car, given how scarce they are here in the UK. If anyone has any suggestions or know of one then please hola.

Thanks all

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, Jake911 said:

Hi Guys,

Some good information on the taxing and importation. I am currently in the market for a nice clean 3L with Cruise control, sunroof , (Park assist - Joking) so the information on this thread is beneficial. Looks like I will be making some trips across the water to view/purchase the ideal car, given how scarce they are here in the UK. If anyone has any suggestions or know of one then please hola.

Thanks all

Purchased one from the NL

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a 3L Lupo in Europe and import into the UK.  As its over 10 years old I dont believe I need an IVA test, but do headlights and speedo need changing for MOT?  Can I alter the beam pattern without buying RHD Lupo lights?

Its also 20% VAT to pay on the purchase price.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

All the info and rules to follow are here:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Also watch out for the original EU reg date, as it'll save you lots in road tax. See @RAB's comment above. 👍🏻

And let us know how it all went afterwards. You could start/write a how-to import thread... :)