Lupo 3L - importing & taxing

rick briddon

You need a new accumulator then.

When you check the oil level you need to disconnect the battery or the pump connector, then slacken off the accumulator.

Clutch cable adjustment is here.

Make sure the code is not an old one. It could be the connector has been unplugged, throwing a code. Clear the codes and see if it comes back.
If it does check here.

I would just like to add another thing worth checking on the AYZ engine, the intercooler-inlet manifold hose.

The metal end where the hose connects to the manifold is a pretty poor design, and the metal retaining barbs wear out, meaning the joint leaks. I am not sure if this applies to the ANY.

I treat the hose as a service item, usually 60k km or every year in my case.

You can normally tell if the joint is leaking without removing it. It moves around a lot, and gets very wet with oil.

• Like 1

Go back to the DVLA and kick up a fuss. The defined date of registration means DATE OF REGISTRATION in the UK, not elsewhere. I quote from:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/vehicle-excise-duty/

'WARNING!!! VED ON SECOND-HAND IMPORTS

All vehicle registration and licensing is governed by the Vehicle Excise and
Registration Act (VERA). VERA states that any vehicle first registered on or after
1st March 2001 on the basis of an EC Certificate of Conformity or UK type approval
certificate that identifies the vehicle as having been approved as a light passenger
vehicle and specifies a CO2 emissions figure, falls to pay vehicle excise duty (VED)
according to its CO2 emissions figure and the type of fuel used.

The term "first registration" used in VERA means first registration
under this legislation and therefore, first registration in the UK. The
term does not extend to any initial non-UK registration. Consequently
VED is charged according to a vehicle's date of first registration in
the UK regardless of whether they are brand new vehicles or imported
vehicles that are new to registration in the UK.

That means
that a pre March 2001 car, even a 1995 car, imported after March 2001
will be subject to CO2 based tax rather than the normal standard rates
for older cars.'

Go back to the DVLA and tell them to interpret their own rules correctly!

RAB

In addition, here is a letter from the DVLA itself, stating the same and found here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?176071-Vehicle-tax-HELP!!

Our Ref: Sian Hill VC2 D4

Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency

Swansea

SA99 1ZZ

20 February 2009

Thank you for your letter regarding the above mentioned vehicle.

When an overseas vehicle is
presented for first registration in the UK, the registration mark given
is dependent on the date of first registration overseas. However, the
period a vehicle was registered in another country has no bearing on the
vehicles classification for vehicle excise duty purposes in the UK.

A vehicle presented for
first registration and licensing in the UK on or after 1st March 2001,
specifying a carbon dioxide (CO2) emission figure falls within seven
banded graduated vehicle excise duty system. The bands are labelled A – G
with band A containing the least polluting vehicles and band G
comprising of vehicles that have high CO2 emissions. Band G only applies
to vehicles that have a CO2 emission figure of over 225g/km and are
presented for first registration in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006.
This applies to brand new vehicles and imported vehicles for first
registration in the UK.

The term first registration
means first registered in the UK. The term does not extend to any other
period for registration for imported vehicles.

As your vehicle was
presented for first registration in the UK on 7th February 2008 and has a
CO2 figure of 318 it met the criteria to be licensed in band G.

The certificate of conformity you require for your vehicle can be obtained from the manufacturer.

Their details are –

TOYOTA GB PLC

GREAT BURGH

BURGH HEATH

EPSOM

KT18 5UX

TEL NO – 0845 275555

Yours sincerely

Sian Hill

Vehicle Customer Services

It cannot be any clearer can it!

RAB

If you have further problems with your local DVLA Neanderthals, I would recommend that you contact DVLA directly, particularly Sian Hill as she seems to know what she is talking about.

Put the tax refund to good use - buy VCDS!

RAB

• Like 1

Wow. That is excellent information, RAB. When enquiring about importing my 3L I was told the same as Rick, so I spent a long time only looking for 3Ls originally registered from March 2001.

This is really good news.

I thought it was about time you showed up in this thread.

Wow. That is excellent information, RAB. When enquiring about importing my 3L I was told the same as Rick, so I spent a long time only looking for 3Ls originally registered from March 2001.

This is really good news.

I thought it was about time you showed up in this thread.

On the bright side, DVLA don't always get it wrong! We have a 1999 Lupo 3L registered in 2003 with zero VED. Had I registered my other Lupo 3L (the first I think registered in the UK) a month earlier (February 2001), we would now have one 2001 Lupo 3L with non-zero VED and a 1999 Lupo 3L with zero VED! How daft is that?

RAB

In my view, the date of first registration should be irrelevant. If the CoC includes CO2 figures, the vehicle should qualify for CO2 VED. The only reason that my 2001 Lupo 3L qualifies for zero-VED is that VW were late in delivering it to Holland! The Zero rate did not apply till some time after March 2001, so it didn't have any influence on my date of registration.

RAB

• 4 months later...

Just rang DVLA to try get my 3L tax exempt, I even asked for Sian Hill.

However the guy on the phone wasn't any help and said the tax band is based on the year of manufacture (1999) and not 2012 when it was first registered in the UK.

He said all I can do is write in with the certificate of comformity, and they will look at it.

Edited by gameover

Im sure I put this info on here when DVLA pulled my pants down for £135...... I was out by two weeks.

I used the info provided by Rab, but in the end I didnt get Tax free.

The bonus is im averaging 90mpg

Woop woop

I was told that you need to obtain a special certificate of emissions or something, from Volkswagen, then you photocopy the certificate, send it to DVLA along with the registration details proving its registered post 2001. I don't know the exact details though.

I have the certificate of conformity from Volkswagen.

The year of manufacture of the car was 1999 and the year of registration in the UK was 2012.

However DVLA claim that the year of manufacture determines that the tax is based on an engine size, and not emissions as its post 2001.

I'm getting nowhere with this!

They have told me I can send of the conformity and log book, and they will "look" at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Gameover i to got nowhere.

I jumped through hoops, emailed and wrote to the world and they all said no chance.

I should have bought one registered after March 2001. (I had certificate of conformity and all documents)

Im not worried now though as im averaging 90mpg, saving myself at least £50 per month.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as though the DVLA are acting illegally. I quote this letter from here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?176071-Vehicle-tax-HELP!!

Swansea
SA99 1ZZ

20 February 2009

When an overseas vehicle is presented for first registration in the UK, the registration mark given is dependent on the date of first registration overseas.
However, the period a vehicle was registered in another country has no bearing on the vehicles classification for vehicle excise duty purposes in the UK.

A vehicle presented for first registration and licensing in the UK on or after 1st March 2001, specifying a carbon dioxide (CO2) emission figure falls within seven banded graduated vehicle excise duty system. The bands are labelled A – G with band A containing the least polluting vehicles and band G comprising of vehicles that have high CO2 emissions. Band G only applies to vehicles that have a CO2 emission figure of over 225g/km and are presented for first registration in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006. This applies to brand new vehicles and imported vehicles for first registration in the UK.

The term first registration means first registered in the UK. The term does not extend to any other period for registration for imported vehicles.

As your vehicle was presented for first registration in the UK on 7th February 2008 and has a CO2 figure of 318 it met the criteria to be licensed in band G.

The certificate of conformity you require for your vehicle can be obtained from the manufacturer.

Their details are –

TOYOTA GB PLC
GREAT BURGH
BURGH HEATH
EPSOM
KT18 5UX
TEL NO – 0845 275555

Yours sincerely
Sian Hill

Refer to the sentence in red - it's quite clearly stated. As such the year of manufacture is irrelevant as far as VED is concerned. As long as you have a COC which shows less than 100g CO2/km, you should get zero VED. I will write to my MP about this as communicating with the DVLA seems to be pointless.

RAB

Edited by RAB

I have sent the following email to the government minister responsible for the DVLA, Stephen Hammond.
Dear Mr Hammond,
In 2001 I imported a VW Lupo 3L, a very fuel efficient car capable of 95mpg, with CO2 emissions of only 81g/km. As it was first registered in April 2001, it qualified for zero VED, which I think was introduced in 2003, one of the first in the UK. The same year I imported a second identical vehicle for my wife. This vehicle also qualified for zero VED, even though it was manufactured in 1999 and registered in Germany before March 2001. This is because 'FIRST REGISTERED' actually means 'FIRST REGISTERED IN THE UK', since all vehicle registration and licensing is governed by the 1994 Vehicle Excise and Vehicle Registration Act and therefore 'first registered' can only mean 'first registered' under this legislation. So the fact that vehicles have been previously registered in other countries in Europe before March 2001, should not affect their eligibility for CO2-based VED.
The DVLA once upon a time also took this view as evidenced by my wife's car and also a DVLA letter found here:
I quote:

Swansea

SA99 1ZZ

20 February 2009

When an overseas vehicle is presented for first registration in the UK, the registration mark given is dependent on the date of first registration overseas.

However, the period a vehicle was registered in another country has no bearing on the vehicles classification for vehicle excise duty purposes in the UK.

A vehicle presented for first registration and licensing in the UK on or after 1st March 2001, specifying a carbon dioxide (CO2) emission figure falls within seven banded graduated vehicle excise duty system. The bands are labelled A – G with band A containing the least polluting vehicles and band G comprising of vehicles that have high CO2 emissions. Band G only applies to vehicles that have a CO2 emission figure of over 225g/km and are presented for first registration in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006. This applies to brand new vehicles and imported vehicles for first registration in the UK.

The term first registration means first registered in the UK. The term does not extend to any other period for registration for imported vehicles.

As your vehicle was presented for first registration in the UK on 7th February 2008 and has a CO2 figure of 318 it met the criteria to be licensed in band G.

Their details are –

TOYOTA GB PLC

GREAT BURGH

BURGH HEATH

EPSOM

KT18 5UX

TEL NO – 0845 275555

Yours sincerely

Sian Hill

Take note particularly of the sentence in red. Lately, however, I have become aware of instances where owners have attempted to register vehicles previously registered elsewhere in Europe before March 2001 and who have been refused CO2-based VED for this reason. I am not aware of any legislation changes that would have brought this about and so can only believe that DVLA staff are interpreting 'first registered' literally and incorrectly. Judging by this article,
mistakes by the DVLA are not unusual! Attempts to question the DVLA on this matter usually result in a reply of the general format 'Please supply vehicle details and we will investigate', totally missing the point that this is a legal issue, not a query about a particlar vehicle. If a vehicle has a certificate of conformity showing its CO2 emissions, it should qualify for CO2-based VED, regardless of when it was built unless it was first registered in the UK before March 2001.
I trust that you will investigate this matter urgently as it has been unresolved, thanks to the DVLA, for too long.
Edited by RAB