Best Vag under £3000

Lupo-Joe

I must admit, the price of Punto's is scary right now. Far cheaper than a Lupo, and most offer more features than the Lupo too.

my lupo was a nicer car in general. If you consider build quality etc. The punto is no comparison... i know mine was a Gti but still, a basic lupo is a nicer car to be in etc.

I got the punto for £500, its done 57k miles and has had 2 lady owners from new. Long MOT and plenty of tax.... crazy really!

535589_10152609697515523_928293698_n.jpg

very basic. Wind up windows, no central locking. door cards are very basic. dash is simple. I will try and get some pictures if i get a minute.

its got one impressive feature... City steering... its basically a button you press and it changes the steering onto an electronic motor. Its ridiculously light... you can do it with one finger... hard to explain but its good for parking and tight manouvers.

keep your lupo as a daily and get a mk2 golf, mk2's handle like a dream and they weigh just less than a lupo :)

fSetoHV.jpg

Edited by Blaine

A good all rounder would be a mk4 PD 130/150 ,spend £400 on one of them tuning boxes that was featured in pvw lets you adjust the map with a dail and you can see 180bhp and like 60 plus mpg

very basic. Wind up windows, no central locking. door cards are very basic. dash is simple. I will try and get some pictures if i get a minute.

its got one impressive feature... City steering... its basically a button you press and it changes the steering onto an electronic motor. Its ridiculously light... you can do it with one finger... hard to explain but its good for parking and tight manouvers.

It's a gay button and offers a quick route to flat spotting tyres. Steering is electronic power all the time.

Keep the rev's up and it performs OK.

my lupo was a nicer car in general. If you consider build quality etc. The punto is no comparison... i know mine was a Gti but still, a basic lupo is a nicer car to be in etc.

I got the punto for £500, its done 57k miles and has had 2 lady owners from new. Long MOT and plenty of tax.... crazy really!

535589_10152609697515523_928293698_n.jpg

still need to see this bad boy...when we cutting the springs ;) ?

• Like 1

It's a gay button and offers a quick route to flat spotting tyres. Steering is electronic power all the time.

yeah you have a point spiderman... there is a whining noise whilst turning so must be all electronic.

decent all rounder... im sure ray will agree

still need to see this bad boy...when we cutting the springs ;) ?

haha im not touching it! :) will come see you tonight after college. or i might be going over to Andy's thursday if you fancy the trip?

yeah you have a point spiderman... there is a whining noise whilst turning so must be all electronic.

decent all rounder... im sure ray will agree

haha im not touching it! :) will come see you tonight after college. or i might be going over to Andy's thursday if you fancy the trip?

plan batman :)

If you are looking for a non VAG I can recommend a Toyota MR2. I had one of the last mk2's and it was a cracking car. Insurance could be an issue but you should definitely consider one, go for a test drive if you can. Great handling and 160-170 bhp make it a joy to drive, the owners club is very good and you have the wider community covering all Japanese makes plus some top shows like japfest. This was mine;

ssaug1.jpg

ssaug2.jpg

notorious for blowing steering pumps with city steering and headgasket at 60000 miles.. but still sounds a decent commuter :)

Wow thanks for the responses. Piers I do like the mk1 golfs!

I'm considering going away from VAG cars and going toward something fun... Mazda Mx5 :)

Joe

Don't buy an mx5. With all due respect, there's a reason why a lot of old women own them. My friend has one and it looks good and everything...

but they're open diff and general pretty shite, their engines are good but they've not got a huge amount of power (although they are light), and if you're buying it to fit in with the 'drift' community, i can tell you, you wont. :lol: Most of them have been ****ed around with to a point of no return. Mind you, they go super low with next to no work...

Don't buy an mx5. With all due respect, there's a reason why a lot of old women own them. My friend has one and it looks good and everything...

but they're open diff and general pretty shite, their engines are good but they've not got a huge amount of power (although they are light), and if you're buying it to fit in with the 'drift' community, i can tell you, you wont. :lol: Most of them have been ****ed around with to a point of no return. Mind you, they go super low with next to no work...

Thanks for the advise. I'm not buying one to be some next amazing difter. It's just mk2 is something different and will just keeped clean. That's what I do with cars. I don't really get power but seem to be more fun than my lupo :)

If I was given £3k and told to buy a vag I would buy either:

mk2 golf gti

mk3 golf vr6

mk2 jetta

corrado vr6

most likely would get a mk2 golf vr6 conversion though!

Edited by sam_vr6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...