What oem headunit will fit?

Raw10

• 2 months later...

The mfd will need:

The head unit

Plug and play kit

GPS CD

GPS antenna

Nd it slots straight in with sat nav the lot! If you want CD's you'll need a cd changer or I just fitted an aux cable to mine nd used my phone / ipod

Apologies for not adding anything relevant to the question, but I can't understand where all of these people are coming from who want OEM+ head units. The MFD1 is catastrophically bad compared to some aftermarket Sat Nav HU's. Even a China 2Din pisses all over the MFD1. The menu is horrific, the sat nav is dreadful (Due to my explanation in another thread) and due to it being short term product, it's now as good as unsupported (Excluding the new sat nav CD's). I guess if you want a VW badge fair do, but I just don't get why people like them.

You can find various aftermarket head units that look almost OEM, you just need to know where to look.

I never had any issues with my MFD. Found the menu's fine and the satnav pretty capable.

Chinese double DIN's are cack quality, and nothing looks as OEM as OEM does. I don't like the look of aftermarket stereos and think they are more of a theft target.

People also slag off the Audi RNSE units for the same reasons you give, but again, I'm chuffed with mine.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

I never had any issues with my MFD. Found the menu's fine and the satnav pretty capable.

Chinese double DIN's are cack quality, and nothing looks as OEM as OEM does. I don't like the look of aftermarket stereos and think they are more of a theft target.

People also slag off the Audi RNSE units for the same reasons you give, but again, I'm chuffed with mine.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

All opinions, but I find the menus on the MFD prehistoric. They remind me of old entirely Menu Driven interfaces from the late 70's and early 80's. Few devices that use Menu Driven interfaces remain, mainly medical equipment, but they are the worst thing in the world to use and also to diagnose when they go wrong. The Sat Nav is a bespoke application, which will always suffer the same problems as any other bespoke sat nav application. I've listed them a number of times in other threads.

As you say, horses for courses, but for me, certain China 2Din's are not given fair credit. If you buy anything from the right company, you'll be satisfied. Don't forget, iPhone's are made in China, most major brand head units are made in China, Indonesia, Malaysia. Very few are made in Japan or Korea nowadays.

The problem is most people buy them from Chinavasion or fleabay where they really are naff, so yes, the opinion of the Internet is a little bit warped with regards to China 2Din's.

I have one in my current Lupo, and I had one in my previous Lupo (Both from the same manufacturer) and I assure you the supposed stereotypical build quality issues are greatly exaggerated, well, at least in stereos from these guys. I haven't had one fail, as of yet. The old one actually survived the crash as well, and I still have it in my garage waiting to be either sold or fitted in another car. Like I said, if you look for the right company, you won't always be disappointed and these guys aren't like Chinavasion. For one, they build them in-house, which actually allows them to develop fairly unique designs from both software and hardware point of view and also provide a reasonable level of quality control. They also have a warehouse in the UK, for repairs and returns... which fortunately I've not needed to use yet. I know for a fact they previously had quite a large contract manufacturing a 2Din Sat Nav head unit for a certain big shop in this country. It's all opinions at the end of the day. I tend to stick to the 'you pay for what you get' rule, but I work in technology as a job and you'd be surprised how little the gap between cheap and expensive is. It's certainly not as wide as price tags make out to be.

Anyway, I don't know much about the Audi Sat Nav, so I'll keep quiet on that one.

Edited by Skezza

There's a few companies that manufacture products for UK market. Many of them are bought and then re-labelled via various brands in the UK. Like I said, a certain big company, let's just say they're a bit like a supermarket for cars, sold one that got rave reviews in magazines and on the Internet and when people from the net looked and traced back and researched, in fact, they'd simply re-labelled a product from the company that happened to manufacture mine. Where do you think I got the idea from lol?

I'm not saying the sound quality is as good as say a Pioneer or Kenwood but the Sat Nav, on mine at least, is absolutely stunning. First class. Far better than any phone, dedicated sat nav device or built-in car sat nav I've used before. I could go further into why that it is, but I'll just leave it at that. Sound quality issues can be hardware based, but they're usually software based. Pioneer, Kenwood, and various companies write excellent audio processing software to ensure the sound quality is first class, but I imagine the hardware they use isn't spec'd that higher.

Edited by Skezza