Best video camera/camcorder

VW_MANIAC

I would keep the 350 for stills and buy a dedicated video cam.

I agree and disagree, the price you could sell the 350d for is minimal, it's an old camera. Keep as as a back up body and run it into the ground, take it out when it's raining instead of your main body etc.

As for buying a dedicated camera if your used to using a DSLR it will be so much more natural upgrading to something like a 550/1000/60D as you'll get more bang for buck as you can keep any existing lenses and buy many more accessories for a DSLR.

The biggest question I ask people when they ask about DSLR vs something like a handycam, do you want depth of field? If you don't know what this is do your research but it's the biggest advantage with DSLRs hence the big boom with DSLR video of the past few years. You can film it much lower lighting conditions with a DSLR due to a much bigger sensor, the list of pros is endless IMO. All depends on budget and what you want to shoot :)

Sorry I was thinking more of the ergonomics. I suppose you can get pistol grips and the like for using the EOS as a video cam.

But yes, I understand the benefits of the DSLR lenses in an artistic sense. To get those benefits from a dedicated video camera I assume one would be talking big bucks.

If you're going to get serious though, the accessories for turning a dslr into a proper video camera are going to be expensive. Extra batteries, fast enough memory card and a better grip could run into a couple of hundred as it is.

If you're going to get serious though, the accessories for turning a dslr into a proper video camera are going to be expensive. Extra batteries, fast enough memory card and a better grip could run into a couple of hundred as it is.

Class 10 16GB memory card - £10

x2 Ebay batteries with extra charger - £15

Universal camera handle - £20 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-video-action-DSLR-Camera-DV-Stabilizer-Stabilising-Grip-Handle-/180992910913?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item2a2404a641&_uhb=1)

Obviously you can spend much more on canon branded batteries, 64gb sandisk cards and something like a gini rig with matte box, follow focus etc but you really can do it on a budget and have similar results.

I honestly don't see the market for handheld camcorders anymore when DSLRs are so cheap and offer superior features! Unless someone is literally using it for point on shoot to film there kids etc it just doesn't make sense to buy one IMO

My mistake, i'm going on what my 5D costs....it has CF cards so that's £50 or more for the card. Guess the batteries would be a little more.

I've not really looked for mounts to be fair so that was a guess haha