Wipers and indicators acting 'funny'....

Just a couple of things I'd like some opinions on.....

1) - The wipers and indicator stalks are acting a little strange. If you lift/drop the indicator stalk you can make the indicator flash properly without actually 'clicking' it on (if that makes sense....). It works going left, but if you go right you have to fully click the stalk on otherwise it clicks randomly and doesn't indicate. The wiper has the same problem, except the wiper (obviously) moves reaaaaaally sloooooooowly unless you click it on. Does this suggest the stalks or the little ring they click into is knackered, or perhaps just a relay?

2) - The drivers door lock/unlock on the inside locks the doors fine, but doesn't work to unlock all of a sudden....there's no click when you press the unlock button and the doors remain locked! New switch thingy needed perhaps? And if so, how does one remove the old one without marking the door card around it?

Awaiting patiently any suggestions/advice....

Yeah I'd say both stalks to be replaced, as for your door card removal, fairly easy stuff, just don't be afraid to get a bit heavy pulling it off! First off you want to remove the cover that sits over the inner door handle, a small flat bladed screwdriver will do the job, once that's off you'll see 2 t30 bolts holding the handle and card to the door panel, remove those, then try using the screwdriver again to get between the door card and the panel, just to give you a bit of space to get your fingers in, and pull, the rest is held on by pop clicks, be mindful of the cable that connects the inner door handle to the latch mechanism and the door lock pin also, from there you can raise the panel and see the 2 lugs that hold the switch in place on the door card, push them inwards towards the switch and push up.

Alternatively you can just try to lever the switch out with the door card in place but I can't promise you won't mark your door card or snap the lugs in the switch.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies people, I think the safest option for me especially is to remove the cards and bits properly, I have a habit of damaging stuff when trying to do a quick 5 minute job! I must try and find that thread for the chap who was able to supply the VW parts at mega low prices too....I have the codes for the stalks and the switch so that's all good.

Out of interest, would a problem with the stalks throw up and airbag light on the dash or is that likely to be something else? I've had one on there since they started acting funny, was wondering if it might be connected in some way....

Edited by renandstimpey