Twin 40 Webbers and Manifold.

Tigz™

Guys can anyone tell me if this should fit, and what else I would need for this conversion please?

I know nothing about Carbs, other than they sound Ace carbs.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I think a new ECU would be needed, as I cant see there being enough ajustment in the stock one.

Does a Carb conversion go along the same lines as TBs?

Obiviously with the use of a fuel rail but you get the idea.

QUOTE(adam3442)

weber carb conversion

DOCE twin 40's brand new and fitting kit.

polo 1.4 16v manifold should fit 1.6 16v.

due to selling the car, i can't continue with my project.

this will add `25-30` bhp. more with other modz and performance chip.

and the noise will put a smile on ur face.

the whole lot cost me £600

want £370 for it, not bad for +30bhp.

im around heathrow area

How would I be able to lower the fuel pressure?

What I meen y that is, at the moment theres a high pressure fuel pump, what they run at 40psi?

I think webbers need around 6psi, so is there anyway I can restric the pressure without changing the pump?

Question for the Techie bobs out there also.

None of the Techies at work that I asked about this today, are very invertive.

they were all aginst it, one of them even suggesting to buy a faster guy.

I didnt fool him, as he has only just joined us, and dont want to give a bad impression of myself.

Next spoke to one of our suppliers, who tunes Jap cars.

He said not to bother, he said he could get me a full TBs kit for £1000 including an ECU mapped to this engine.

Im usure about this, I didnt think they would have a kit for the 1.4 engine.

He says all I would need would be the manifold to mount the bodies.

He says that Carbs are `un-reliable`, compared to mildly tuned TBs.

That once they have Jetted to the car, will need resetting every few months, to avoid tailing off at the top end.

He said that although the jetting would need to be done by someone with knowlage and a rolling road, theres no reason why the set ups could by myself (or any half trained mechanic) with just basic tools.

Obviously I couldn't do this with TBs.

Hes only ever used TBs, on his Supra, so couldn't give me info on any other the finer details.

can anyone help?

The trouble with twin carbs are they always go out of sink, youll spend half your life under the bonnet getting them to run right, thats why TBs are are the weapon of choice as you get the best of both worlds.

QUOTE(adam cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />
The trouble with twin carbs are they always go out of sink, youll spend half your life under the bonnet getting them to run right, thats why TBs are are the weapon of choice as you get the best of both worlds.

they dont tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> they are as good as the tunner

carbs should run for a good few 0000 k before they may need another tune

the price hes got is cheap

carbs about £220 each manifold about £140 linkages about £50 so its a good price 40s would be ideal for a 1400 too small for a 1800 16v thou :oops:

you may need to change your fule pump(facet) and u will need a fule regulator about £40 (filter king) and air filters the noise is awesome

if you can get a full itb kit for £1k there must be a reason why they are cheap badger5 can tell u more ecu is £400ish itbs are £500+ sensors and other gubbins :shock: a mk2 16v kit is about £2k + fiting and tuning :cry:

Thanks for the advice bud.

I see I was right to be worried about the price he was saying.

even useing Bike bodies, I could see the price coming to around £700 before setting up costs.

ive max'd out my credit card today, so theres no way I can get them.

Im just hoping everyone has the same idea that Carbs are in the past, and he still has them in a couple of weeks.

I see no reason why I couldn't fit them myself.

So long as the only jobs needed are the fuel pressure and bolting on the new bits.

Is there anything else Im missing?

Would the spark I have now, match up with what Id need for the carbs?

Sorry if that sounds a daft question, but Ignnition baffles me.

Please if you could please Si.

I dont belive there is any problems with the set up issue.

I have owned a car with twin 40s before.

I didnt own it long, but after crashing it, I sold it a mate who rebuilt it.

He had that car years.

Cant ever remember him having any running problems with it.

Im calling in to see him tommorrow to find out for sure.

Do you want them mate?

I havn't got his number, its a member who is selling for a friend.

I cant put you in touch with him if you want?

So long as you will help me fit some, when I have the cash to do it?

they dont  they are as good as the tunner

Im obvusly no good then.

Had twin 36s on the bug and Id have to redo them every `3-6` months, normally because of the weather, ie when there was a cold snap. Dont get me wrong I do like carbs im just VERY lazy!

tigz

bit slow getting back to you. Altern8`s post covers the question of how much. Your other question where does it go?. it sits in the fuel line after the pump. Can not say I noticed my twin 40`s going off tune when I had the westy. Beautiful sound. The BMC filter on lupos sounds good, but 40`s sound very different. More raw, no pipes or boxes or filters to pass through. Just striaght in. More technical than I understand but different lengths of trumpets have different results regards power.

just imagine the sound when ferrari where using them on the 12cyl engines.

J

Without the use of a regulater Mitch?

I pm'd him when I got home today, but they have sold.

He says the guy cant pay/pick them up (?) untill next week.

He has taken my number and has said if it falls through, I am at the top of his list.

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I am no longer selling my car.

Instead, I am going to fit a Sport engine to mine.

I have Clifford told me about a engine and gearbox this evening, and the seller has given me a price for the lot if I win.

I have got to pay the credit card back which will leave me only £1000 to pay for then entire engine conversion.

This also includes the price of the final hub I need for the 256mm brake conversion.

This will leave me aroung £500 to tune it.

If I cant get these Carbs, I will have to attemp a DIY bike boddie job :shock:

I really need those carbs. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> The other £130 left, would pay for a ECU to control the ignition.

Fingers crossed!

As desicive as a paper bag at the mo aint you Andi laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Buying a Sport wasn't going to be as cheap as I was nievly expected it to be.

I saw one which was great, the engine was sweet.

The interior was imaculate.

Dont even think I would have changed it for the GTi one.

But there was things that I hadn't even thought of.

Just little things like having the older style dash.

But all the little things would have needed changing, and the reason I wanted to change the car, was because I didnt want to have to change much on it.

Me and Emma went for walk and when we got back to the car park, we saw the car and desided to just change the engine.

We only need one more hub to do the brakes.

I have a GTi ARB in the iving room, so that could be changed no problem.

Although the sound of a Sport zaust is nice.

The tone of the Jetex one is slightly better, but will be even better on a proppa engine with a proppa induction.

My mate who came with me, says it is possable to heat up and bend my pipe to allow a tilt to bring the zaust up, if we fitted a Sport back bumper.

As my rear bumper is damaged, I would have to change it anyway, and after seeing ths Sport today, Ive got to go back to black under bumpers.

The black was so black is was gleaming in the sun.