New member + First car

clifford94

Alrite guys,

just brought my self a vw lupo 1.0 as my first car fully standard,

i want to put a loudish back box on my car but not a chavy loud just sumthing that sounds nice but cant find one anywhere :(

my lupo will be sitting on coils soon just waiting to pay off the insurance before any mods can be fitted

can any one help? and please send me links please if there cheap and i can buy them in the uk :P

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i havent responded to anyone..

so far all my car has had done is the lupo badge off, few stickers as i love stickers :P and thats it really... im going to buy a new front grill not one that i have seen people with so hopefully it will stand out, wind deflectors, tow race strap (for a laugh), i want to buy springs to go 30-40 lower but then all my friends say buy coils as i can put them to any height but all i really need to know is what height can i go before i get problems and that i cant go over speedbumps and to have people in the car?.. i would prefer to get springs now then buy coils later on as my car looks way to high and i dont have £200+ on me :( i have got standard steelies but im going to try and find a nice set of minilites when i get paid.. can any one help me out about the lowering and what i should do ?

:)

i would say 65 / 70 is where getting over speed bumps becomes a bit of an issue but still not much... your going to have to alter you driving even if you lower it 40mm, granted not much but still some... if you go for coils and do things properly (new bushes and check the cv joints etc. along with wheel bearing check) then you will be fine.. done this for both the cars i have dropped and soon to be another arosa and had no problems, even with coils all the way down.

dodging potholes, not ramping up curbs, not hitting curbs; im not saying you would normally just when the car is lowered there is a lot more stress on bushes and especially bearings (not loads more when lowering it 40mm) so has more potential to break rather than slightly damage parts.. example; if i was to ramp a curb at 40 in a standard height car it wouldn't do much if any damage, doing this in a lowered car would probablies bend the wishbones, tear the rear wishbone bush and probablies damage the bearing £££..

if your going to drop it 40mm don't be surprised if you blow a damper in the first few weeks as already wearing dampers put under extra strain will shorten its lifespan a lot. Also changing the dampers when you do the springs will probablies cost you the same if not more than coilovers.

but overall would say you should be alright with 40mm providing your dampers are already leaking or sevearly worn :) hope this helps.

but tbf everyone who buys lowering springs only ends up buying coilovers anyways :)

This. You're as well spending a couple quid extra and getting coils and then you can mess about with the height until you et exactly what you want. You could even lower it, get used to the height, then lower it some more. Before long your arse will be scrapin' ;)

• Like 1

well the springs are £50 and the coils i want then i need spacers are £200+ just want my car lower and ready for shows.. i dont mind driving round with a standard car but after 2 weeks of driving it gets boring not being able to touch her and modify it /: hopefully when i fixed my bonnet i can finally start on it....

with my standard lupo steelies can i get centre caps? because i want to paint my wheels and them and keep my wheeltrims off only untill i got my self some minilites :D

Tbh man 40mm is next to nothing. But if it's what you definitely want then go for it. Bear in mind though if you decide to get even shorter springs you'll need to uprate the shocks. 40mm you'll get away with but anything more they'll need upgrading.

every one tells me i need spacers when i get coils, if i dont then thats few quids saved :P well either buy 30-40 springs now and after few months get coils but if my dampers going to **** up after few weeks should i leave the height till i get coils?

them steelies with the caps look smart :P

would these fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-13-WHEEL-CENTER-CAP-X4-/160964025946?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257a341e5a cant find any under lupo and i would pefer the vw badge molded in but cant find a set of them :(

Get coilovers.. dont lower it if your bothered about speedhumps and stuff... i cant even open my door on some curbs. oh and about the declaring i wouldnt say anything on here some people are abit 'too good' lol

Edited by Sammy Lupo

My 3G is **** and wont open the link :(

If you're gonna get coils soon then you're as well holding off and not getting springs. If you don't do it yourself you'll end up spending £140ish getting them fitted and even of u do do it yourself it'll still be a ball ache changing the suspension again plus the wasted money.

well i aint declaring anything long as it looks standard, on the standard vw wheels. going down by 30-40 was the whole point making it look pretty standard. but all my mates have gone low and mine is like the only vw standard -.- i think i can get them fitted by few mates whos built a polo mk3 1.0 with a 1.3 supercharger engine g40 and thats been put down the onthe insurance with his other mod, and my other mate who built his mk2 golf 1.3 who fitted his coils so i think im fine there. im going to try my best and do the work my self as i want to buy a project in the future :)

well i aint declaring anything long as it looks standard, on the standard vw wheels. going down by 30-40 was the whole point making it look pretty standard. but all my mates have gone low and mine is like the only vw standard -.- i think i can get them fitted by few mates whos built a polo mk3 1.0 with a 1.3 supercharger engine g40 and thats been put down the onthe insurance with his other mod, and my other mate who built his mk2 golf 1.3 who fitted his coils so i think im fine there. im going to try my best and do the work my self as i want to buy a project in the future :)

just dont say much about insurance lol any type of suspension lowering is obviously ment to be declared btw :) get it so low your sills touch the bumps :D