Is this legal?

IAmConorr

This is a long shot, but I'd quite like to share it with you guys as it might help some younger drivers.

I was on a price comparison website and for some reason I was messing around with the start date of the policy, I clicked on 15 days in the future and got a quote which was a few hundred pounds cheaper than the quote I had received for that day. Basically if I set the start date 15 days in the future it was £300 cheaper.

Now, what I want to know is, can I pay for my mum to take out temp insurance on my Lupo for 20 days (£30) whilst my policy starts 15 days in? Meaning my insurance is cheaper.

Is this illegal or have I just found a way to cheapen my insurance? There's no reason I can see it being a problem? Just want other people's answer on this.

• Like 1

It's nothing illegal but you may run into trouble when it comes to insuring a car that already has a policy on it as it will show as insured on the MID (motor insurance database), I'm not sure about this some people have said you can't insure one car with 2 policies from 2 different companies. I don't fully understand why you can't just wait 15 days without the car? Unless you rely on it for work etc

Well if that's the case ill get temp cover until a certain date (e.g. 20/01/2013), then have my main insurance start on that day as well, surely it wouldn't overlap and the car would still only be insured on one policy?

Temporary cover is for a vehicle thats not insured eg. you own a car but you leave the country for 11 months of the year when you return you want to insure it for 1 month of the year. Just organise temporary cover until the start date of your 12 month policy.

Temporary cover is for a vehicle thats not insured eg. you own a car but you leave the country for 11 months of the year when you return you want to insure it for 1 month of the year. Just organise temporary cover until the start date of your 12 month policy.

My mate got temp insurance for a night on his mum's car?

My mate got temp insurance for a night on his mum's car?

Yeah I'm not 100% on it but I'm sure if a car is insured and someone needs temporary cover they may be able to get it for a certain period of time but I'm sure you can't hold 2 policies on 1 car for a long period of time

You can only insure a car that you own so if you own the car, your mum can't insure it because there is no 'insurable interest'.

Surely that's wrong?

As most temp cover companies quote that the cover can be used to borrow a friends car.

I have insured cars with mainstream companies when I am not the owner of the car in question.

I have also insured cars with mainstream insurers when there are other insurance policies in place on that particular vehicle.

How are you defining legal ownership? I am the legal owner of my other half car, yet she is the registered keeper and policy holder? If I rang prestige for a quote would it make your computer explode?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tim I'm still not sure about this. I was insured on a friends car once when it was necessary for me to drive it for a day. They never said there was any problem with that.

Tim I'm still not sure about this. I was insured on a friends car once when it was necessary for me to drive it for a day. They never said there was any problem with that.

Hi Skezza.

There's no problem with that. You can be a named driver. Just that some insurers won't let you take out a policy in your name on someone else's car such as a friend (though some may such as day insurers, etc.)

It's crap like this that makes my think cars should be insured, not drivers.

Like they have in Australia?

Have to agree to be honest. I actually reckon it would improve the ability of many (esp. young) drivers in this country having a system like this.