R32 v New Golf GTi

starbank

There is crap loads of R32's up here. The other night when I was driving home I came up to a roundabout and there was 3 R32's on it at one time, each coming from different approaches.

There are 2 of them at my work as well... common as muck!

Seeing more new GTi's though each time I see one I still think that it is a fine looking piece of machinery. I see a dark grey one on the way home just about every night - just about everyone in the traffic is looking at it with admiring glances.

New (MkV) GTI's aren't that COMMON though

4WD makes sense for up here thats maybe why there are so many R32's

There is something special about the R32 though, exclusivity, quality, performance, subtle styling etc.

My best mate works at Nissan and he gets all sorts of inside industry information and gossip. He's just `e-mailed` me as follows......

"I know this will sound ridiculous but from what I’ve seen from inside the industry I absolutely promise you that the R32 will be better built from better quality materials than the new GTI.

Every time a new model is released the principle concern is how can we make this car cheaper to produce than the last one. The industry has a ridiculous marketing standard called “Perceived Quality” this is whether people “feel” it is a quality product and often bears no relation to whether it actually is a quality product or not.

So the new Golf have to be made from cheaper materials – it is simply a fact of life".

I love the new GTi, especially the DSG box but personally the R32 is more special and seriously worth considering.

I always like the Audi S3 but compared to the R32 there's only one choice for me.

I think the R32 is cooler as a car icon but Golf is better car I am sure.... as for build quality/materials I think your friend is only part correct - time drives cost down as does volume, so no reason why the new golf wont be at the same standard as the old golf, just costs less to produce.

Did the Volkswagen Driver track day at Croft last Saturday in the Lupo. Butchered every R32 there on the brakes and in the bends. even the tricked up ones. Had a bit of a tussle with Milteks MK5 and it was very good everywhere. Drivers could make a difference obviously.

To be honest for £20k there's not an awful not out there that I personally would be interested in.

Scoobies and Evo's are not my cup of tea and 2 seater sports cars are hopelessly impractical. The TT is getting on a bit and as common as muck. The 350Z and RX8 are nice but just don't hit the spot for me.

Would be tempted with a Leon Cupra R but then I think I'll wait for the new version to hit the showrooms.

The new Megane 225 which has been finely honed for a better driving experience looks a good bet too - but then it's French.

Golf GTi for me too, no way would i bother with an R32 since i drove the mk5. Not sure that the R32 will be better built than the gti although it could be the case i bet there wouldn't be much in it. Have you driven the gti yet?

2002 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 4.0 W8 4MOTION 4dr Saloon,

Petrol, 33,000 miles, . Six speed manual, 4 wheel drive. Metallic blue.Electric Nappa Leather Recaros - heated front and rear. Trip computer, CD Changer, Multifunction steering wheel, cruise, full winter pack inc Xenon headlamps. Excellent condition. 6 months warranty, full VW service history. Very reluctant sale. May p/x for cheaper Golf V6 4motion. £12,750 . ono.

:?