5th Gear Issue

Hi guys, got a 1.4 lupo and the last few days iv noticed its starting to make a chattering noise in 5th gear when i release the throttle. It only seems to do it in 5th and allways when shutting off the power and rolling along. When i apply the clutch as the noise is occuring the noise goes.

I applyed preesure to the gearstick by pulling back towards the neutal position just to see if the gear is trying to pull out but it is holding the gear securely.

I did search the forum for any simular problems, found 1 but the problem was not solved so just wondering if anyone has come accross this before or could point me in the right direction :)

Thanks Rhys

Sounds like you have the same problem I had. Mine started of like that then after a thousand miles gave up the go. It only makes the noise when not under load only difference mine started in 3rd.. Hopefully this is not the case with yours

Could be release bearing mate, tbh though could be loads of stuff not even related to the gearbox. Release bearing would be a good place to start though, even if release bearing is worn though it's not dangerous but you do get annoying noises etc.

Cheers for the ideas guy's, iv found the fault now and its the fifth gear selector on the output shaft and its missing about 10 teeth when it should have 37. iv now remover 5th gear completely so am now running a 4 speed box :shades: ....priced up the parts with vw and for 5th gear selector, 5th gear, a bearing, bolt and circlip it comes to £362 :surprise:

So i am now on the look out for just a few parts, dont really want to buy a complete gearbox would rather just buy these parts individully. Any one know of any gearboxes being split?

The shaft on the box or selector under gearstick? You can get a used gearbox for fifty quid mate if you have a good look round ebay, breakers etc I'm new to lupos but vw boxes are tough it's the seals and people not changing the fluid that knacks em'

The shaft on the box or selector under gearstick? You can get a used gearbox for fifty quid mate if you have a good look round ebay, breakers etc I'm new to lupos but vw boxes are tough it's the seals and people not changing the fluid that knacks em'

085 box is far from tough,Google 085 gearbox problem, poor maintenance is to blame for some but not all, chocolate box more like.

Today i managed to get hold of a secong hand box from a braker for £100 so im just taking the fifth gear from that box an putting it on mine. Saves me swapping boxes as fifth gear is right on the end of the box under the black steel cover. Ill put some pics up once iv finished the job so you can see the damage.

Cheers for the advise though guys :thumbsup: