EU Gender Ruling

matt123roll

Has anyone noticed a drop/increase in quotes since the gender ruling came into effect today? On a whole my current insurer was more expensive but a few others have come back surprisingly cheap (compared to what they were) I'm 18 with 1 years ncb.

Yes my girlfriend and I share my lupo Sdi and ts about 900, on her own its 1.5,k! Now this gender ruling has been brought in, I ran a quick check and her on her own will go from 1500 to around 1800... Not fair when im paying for it lol

They moaned about being equal an now they are there moaning.

Yeah ahha can't have it both ways. I think it's a step in the right direction. Has anyone got any ideas on what female only insurers are doing now? The likes of diamond and shelias wheels? As I got a quote from diamond for £1400 which is mega cheap but not sure if they would honour the quote as Im male haha

Suspect female quotes will go up more than male quotes go down, because insurance companies are evil.

• Like 1

That's ****ing ridiculous. Can't say i'm surprised though...

They should have made them meet in the middle. You would think it would mean more competitive prices but I think they've all met and just decided to charge everyone over the odds now. I do feel sorry for girls as it's a massive difference for them and lads have always paid a lot but if my insurance went from £1200 to £1500 with an extra years no claims I'd be gutted

So a little update, been doing a few quotes as my first years insurance is up mid feb and I don't want to stay with the co op if I can help it as they are not mod friendly. Been getting really cheap quotes from admiral and elephant (same company i believe):

rhkc3r.png

1.0E Lupo

18 with a licence for 1 year

1 Years no clams

Main driver - fully comp

Alloys

Lowered <5cm (they get funny about anything more and won't quote)

The only thing with these quotes are you have to really pay yearly for it to be worth it, a £900 quote turns into a £1600 quote if you pay monthly which is silly! And they are only 10 month policies but for the price I don't think anyone could argue at my age, time to try and save £1k before feb or looks like my uni loan is going on insurance haha

• 5 weeks later...

It was definitely the correct decision to bring this ruling in. I doubt it's reduced male quotes, but it's certainly increased womens and ultimately, if we want gender equality, you can't pick and choose.

ive done some new quotes and its coming out cheaper than before. happy days :thumbup:

Sounds good, maybe they'll be nice when my renewal comes up then, even though I've now got a fault claim on my file :ouch:

It was definitely the correct decision to bring this ruling in.

I disagree, insurance should be based on risk, and if something can be proven to affect that the company should be allowed to price accordingly

• Like 1

I disagree, insurance should be based on risk, and if something can be proven to affect that the company should be allowed to price accordingly

Completely agree with this. Not trying to be a d*ck but it's ridiculous that this has come into place. It should all be statistical and if guys are statistically likely to cost the insurer more money then their premiums should be greater. Where does it stop? Can't have different premiums for different age groups?

• Like 1

Next one to sort out is charging higher premiums if you've had an accident that wasn't your fault, I have a much bigger beef with this than I ever had being charged more for having a penis tbh.

Next one to sort out is charging higher premiums if you've had an accident that wasn't your fault, I have a much bigger beef with this than I ever had being charged more for having a penis tbh.

Yeah man definitely. It's ridiculous that you get charged higher premiums because of accidents that aren't your fault. It surely says absolutely nothing about your driving capabilities?

Precisely. I kicked off with admiral about this big time & they eventually backed down when I threatened to take my business elsewhere. They said people who've had a non fault claim are statistically more likely to go on to make a fault claim. I don't give a ****, it wasn't my fault so why should I pay more?

I agree with you guys but a couple of years ago I had an argument with a mate of mine about this. He reckoned that you can avoid accidents if you're an awesome driver. He still didn't change his mind when I gave examples such as:

Someone going through a red light and hitting you.

Someone changing lanes on motorway and hitting you.

Someone coming towards you overtaking and not being back in their lane soon enough

and many more.

TOOL.

Just made me think. What happens if your car is parked and you're not even in it and someone drives into your car? How do you be such an awesome driver you can avoid that?!?!

He still didn't change his mind when I gave examples such as:

Someone going through a red light and hitting you.

Someone changing lanes on motorway and hitting you.

Someone coming towards you overtaking and not being back in their lane soon enough

All of those examples could have been mitigated though the non-fault party having better observation and forward planning.

All of those examples could have been mitigated though the non-fault party having better observation and forward planning.

To an extent yes I agree but what about the red light one. What if you're driving along and there's a green light for you to carry on going straight ahead. You carry on driving past the green light and BAM! Someone hits you from the side because they skipped the red light instead of stopping in front of it. How would better planning avoid that? Only thing I can think of is not go through green lights unless there are no cars waiting or approaching the junction. You'd spend the rest of your life waiting at the lights in the middle of rush hour.

See, I totally agree on this, but risk is shared across things other than insurance, yet we follow a set of rules that guarantee equal rights. Some would argue, that in most instances, there is an increased risk that a new employee who is female working in a physically intensive job will perform worse than an equivalent male counterpart with similar experience and in reality, most women will agree with this statement. Yet, the rules state that she is forced to be:

a. Paid the same.

b. Given the same treatment with regards to overtime etc.

c. Given the same promotional opportunities.

Regardless of genuine performance factors.

I for one, am happy that this is the case, otherwise we would result in a society that was disgustingly warped in favour of male dominance. The point of feminism, is to fight for things to be equal in all things. You can't however, pick and choose what those things are.

Why should an 18 year old male who has no interest in thrashing his car be considered a higher risk, than an 18 year old female who wants to absolutely cain the **** off her 1 litre Corsa. Trust me, I see it all the time around where I live.

To begin with, the risk is equal between the two, and ultimately, you shouldn't calculate a premium purely on the gender of the individual. You should judge risk on the personality of the individual involved, so when Barry rings up and informs his insurer that he's stuck a set of 18 inch alloys on, a massive spoiler and a big exhaust, that is where the risk should be considered higher. Alternatively, when Barry rings up and says "I've crashed my car", again, his risk should be considered higher.

Edited by Skezza