Standard or ultimate fuel?

I run my lupo on 98/99 all the time now. The reason why was because the egr got clogged up and higher fuels don't have so much biofuel in the fuel (95 is about 5% biofuel )

see article below.

http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=24900

Edited by lupo1.0se

I always run my GTI on 97+.

I have had to put lower in a couple of times when I had no choice. Engine pinks like crazy under load.

Even my old Arosa 1.0MPi performed better on supreme blends.

I always run my GTI on 97+.

I have had to put lower in a couple of times when I had no choice. Engine pinks like crazy under load.

I can only suggest there is something wrong with it, it certainly shouldn't be doing that.

i run my car on tesco normal fuel, its only a 1.0 it doesnt need performance fuel, doesnt need anything fancy and i never have any problems with it so i shall continue to run supermarket fuels, if it was a gti it would probably be different but untill then i think cheap stuff is just as good as anything else

i run my car on tesco normal fuel, its only a 1.0 it doesnt need performance fuel, doesnt need anything fancy and i never have any problems with it so i shall continue to run supermarket fuels, if it was a gti it would probably be different but untill then i think cheap stuff is just as good as anything else

Morrisons fuel is only fuel I wouldn't run the Polo on, its weaker than my urine...

Diesel wise ive had no problem with Supermarket fuels. none Whatsoever.

admittedly Morrison's use like 7% bio fuel on the mixture, and im sure most other places use like 5%.

I did accidently put some Supreme diesel in my lupo once, just did even better mpg ahha

Like its already been mentioned for the size of the tank you can barely notice the price difference so you might as well put it in, and to be honest i think my car runs better with super unleaded in! Might just be placebo but if it looks after the engine for very little cost ill do it :)

Batesy

All in the mind.

'Supermarket fuel'? Comes out the same tank

Different additive packs though.

I believe VPower is sources from different base stock, not sure about BP Ultimate, Momemtum99 is standard stuff with more ethanol added to boost the octane rating IIRC

I've run higher power mapped turbo cars on higher octane fuel but with lower power cars I really can't see it make that much difference.

Probably not, but its a fact that the Sport/GTI are mapped as standard for 98ron fuel, so there will be a performance benefit - may be worth 1bhp at 6000rpm mind you!

I'll happily spend a few quid per tank for some piece of mind that its an excellent product, in the same way ill always buy premium oil/plugs/filters. I think the extra cost is worth it.

My mate thinks I'm daft for doing this, yet he will happily spend £50 on a thirst from all saints, which makes me feel faint!

The only test of that nature I can think of is the one by Thorney Motorsport, but that's another story in itself!

I think 5th gear did a fuel test, but they did it on something that wasn't able to advance the ignition timing so clearly there wasn't going to be any power increase.

What's the margin of error on a dyno?

Fifth gear did a test using different fuels in a golf gti and it made a decent difference. Couldn't remember the figures but here they are copied from another site:

Shell VPower (98ron) - 240.9bhp - £1.45/litre

Esso Supreme (97ron) - 240.5bhp - £1.44/litre

BP Ultimate (97ron) - 236.7bhp - £1.47/litre

BP (95ron) - 236.1bhp - £1.39/litre

Asda (95ron) - 235.8bhp - £1.36/litre

They used separate tanks to make sure none of the fuel was mixed and then RR'd it to see the difference

Edited by Pete91